Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   I/O to OB conversion project? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/357982-i-o-ob-conversion-project.html)

Jupiter Sunsation 12-05-2018 07:26 AM

I/O to OB conversion project?

With all the rage being to repower to 400's, would it be feasible to take some used power (triple 300/350s) and hang them off the back of something like this:
https://www.offshoreonly.com/classif...aw-o73985.html

Straight bottom so no CG issues with the steps, boat is tired and has no power so it should be able to be bought cheap. Seal up the transom, add a bracket and hang the OB's. Redo the cockpit interior and reshoot the boat in a non-Baja theme or even just all white. You could have a 40 ft 70 mph boat when you are done!

Viable project or potential nightmare with no resale?

Knot 4 Me 12-05-2018 08:54 AM

3, 300's/350's ain't gonna cut it on that boat. I'd think you'd need to do more to the transom than just seal up the old cutouts to support the bracket/OB weight.

Jupiter Sunsation 12-05-2018 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me (Post 4662329)
3, 300's/350's ain't gonna cut it on that boat. I'd think you'd need to do more to the transom than just seal up the old cutouts to support the bracket/OB weight.

Didn't they build the 40 with twin 575's as base power? Trip 350s is 1050 vs. 1150 I/0. Someone did this to a Tiger down in the Caribbean and I think it was triple 300s but I can't remember if it was a step bottom or not. Not sure if it was reported back on how it came out (good or bad).

The transom work I have no idea. The boat would be cool with triple roller coaster bolsters and a bench at the back.

goinboatin 12-05-2018 09:25 AM

You will want to add some transom knees to tie the transom into the stringers to support the weight of the OB's and bracket.

hogie roll 12-05-2018 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 4662322)
With all the rage being to repower to 400's, would it be feasible to take some used power (triple 300/350s) and hang them off the back of something like this:
https://www.offshoreonly.com/classif...aw-o73985.html

Straight bottom so no CG issues with the steps, boat is tired and has no power so it should be able to be bought cheap. Seal up the transom, add a bracket and hang the OB's. Redo the cockpit interior and reshoot the boat in a non-Baja theme or even just all white. You could have a 40 ft 70 mph boat when you are done!

Viable project or potential nightmare with no resale?

Yes it will work

hogie roll 12-05-2018 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me (Post 4662329)

It should run good. They tend to run faster than equivalent power I/Os. I think it’s due to the CG being further back, and possibly due to less power loss to the prop.

Knot 4 Me 12-05-2018 10:45 AM

350's with hotboxes then!

TexomaPowerboater 12-05-2018 10:46 AM

Less weight is a big factor. Can also raise the X-dimension on the fly with some jack plates.

I am curious as to the cost myself to convert to outboards. Anybody know what the guy paid to convert that 31 Cigarette Bullet to outboards that is for sale?

Cary 29 12-05-2018 10:51 AM

It works out great. Done it twice to I/o boat.

ren3 12-05-2018 10:59 AM

It is all about CG, CB, and transom strengthening. When I converted my 35' Cigarette Awesome to a 28' outboard center console. the new transom was the center of my work. It was supported by the stringers and knees, by the motor well design, and by major tabbing to the bottom, sides, and deck. The layout of the console, fuel tank, T-top, etc. was driven by the new balance point. A lot of work, but I would do it again.

payuppsucker 12-05-2018 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by ren3 (Post 4662346)
It is all about CG, CB, and transom strengthening. When I converted my 35' Cigarette Awesome to a 28' outboard center console. the new transom was the center of my work. It was supported by the stringers and knees, by the motor well design, and by major tabbing to the bottom, sides, and deck. The layout of the console, fuel tank, T-top, etc. was driven by the new balance point. A lot of work, but I would do it again.

Pics????

TeamSaris 12-05-2018 11:53 AM

If that boat has a liner in the bilge, strengthening the transom will be more complicated than some other boats. Just something to keep in mind.

Knot 4 Me 12-05-2018 12:14 PM

Should be a stringer boat. Didn't they run low 80's with trip 500 EFI's?

bikergja 12-05-2018 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater (Post 4662344)
Less weight is a big factor. Can also raise the X-dimension on the fly with some jack plates.

I am curious as to the cost myself to convert to outboards. Anybody know what the guy paid to convert that 31 Cigarette Bullet to outboards that is for sale?

the bullet was a full conversion and restore. Everything from wiring, upholstery, steering etc. the bracket was close to $3k, new deck extension to 9 feet and upholstery to cover side panels almost 5k, engines steering props running gear another almost $50k, new seats and cabin upholstery boat cover electronics another 10k. Trailer was another 8k. Total was over 80k when done. Just made it a four sleeper this month. Stringers were built up and a quarter inch plate was full length of bracket bolted and wit gussets bolted to stringers. I did a lot of the work myself so I can't put a value to it. With four people on board and full gas and gear 65 was attained. You must reinforce the transom. I used additional biaxle glass in an outside before the bracket. My suggestion is it will cost you a heck of a lot more to convert then to get one that runs, but, I have a much bigger cockpit and a boat that is what I wanted to be. The only thing I miss is the inboard noise but not the maintenance and gas cost.

Wildman_grafix 12-05-2018 01:25 PM

The question I always have is if all you do is reinforce the transom, install a bracket and OBs, it sure seems that it would upset the boats CG. May be faster because of less weight and bow lift but what happens in the rough, does it start to be Ass heavy?

TexomaPowerboater 12-05-2018 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by bikergja (Post 4662362)

the bullet was a full conversion and restore. Everything from wiring, upholstery, steering etc. the bracket was close to $3k, new deck extension to 9 feet and upholstery to cover side panels almost 5k, engines steering props running gear another almost $50k, new seats and cabin upholstery boat cover electronics another 10k. Trailer was another 8k. Total was over 80k when done. Just made it a four sleeper this month. Stringers were built up and a quarter inch plate was full length of bracket bolted and wit gussets bolted to stringers. I did a lot of the work myself so I can't put a value to it. With four people on board and full gas and gear 65 was attained. You must reinforce the transom. I used additional biaxle glass in an outside before the bracket. My suggestion is it will cost you a heck of a lot more to convert then to get one that runs, but, I have a much bigger cockpit and a boat that is what I wanted to be. The only thing I miss is the inboard noise but not the maintenance and gas cost.

Thanks for posting this info. So for the actual cockpit extension, bracket, stringer knees, steering, props, and outboard rigging; doing it yourself ran $20K give or take? Say another $10K in labor to pay someone else to do it? Sounds like the cost to convert to used outboards is roughly twice the cost to re-power with new stock long-blocks.

hogie roll 12-05-2018 02:21 PM

Look at tht theres a thread for a 47 Apache conversion with a pilot house, a 40 Excalibur to a CC, and a big tempest to an OB pilothouse.

Also, there is a 45’ CC Hull only for sale on miami Craigslist based on a tempest that is ready for outboards and rigging.

Joetool 12-05-2018 02:23 PM

I just did a 42 Lightning with triple 300's. Love it so far 74 mph working on water pressure issues. will have that figured out this week. should see about 78 when done. PM me if you need to pick my brain. Installing 400's soon want to get close to 100 mph

bikergja 12-05-2018 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix (Post 4662363)
The question I always have is if all you do is reinforce the transom, install a bracket and OBs, it sure seems that it would upset the boats CG. May be faster because of less weight and bow lift but what happens in the rough, does it start to be Ass heavy?

did not change the cg that I noticed. You take a few hundred pounds out by taking out the I/o rig and sun deck etc. the 30" setback seems to balance it out. No problems running in any sea and comes right up on a plain. I can run the boat in 18" to 20" of water without any problems. I converted many 28's and put a 40 gallon tank between the stringers at the transome.

hogie roll 12-05-2018 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Joetool (Post 4662372)
I just did a 42 Lightning with triple 300's. Love it so far 74 mph working on water pressure issues. will have that figured out this week. should see about 78 when done. PM me if you need to pick my brain. Installing 400's soon want to get close to 100 mph

Maybe if you put the tune up on them.

outonsafari 12-05-2018 04:09 PM

There is a 30 foot panther for sale down in the scarab owners threads, thought that 30 made a good ob cc.
Might do well as an ob sport deck, old trs boat so theres about 5 feet of cockpit space to gain.
white hull and deck w/red stripes

FlyenBrian 12-05-2018 07:01 PM

"When I converted my 35' Cigarette Awesome to a 28' outboard center console. the new transom was the center of my work" You made 7' of one of Dons creations disappear and are still alive to the tell the tale:eekdrop: We need more info on that project!

rak rua 12-05-2018 07:07 PM

I'd say "Yes" to all three...... It's a viable project, it's a potential nightmare and no resale.
Is that what's important? I read stories here everyday about people changing their boats, the dramas, cash they pour into the project and none if ever comes back. These projects are great for the owner who gets exactly what he wants rather than a compromise of what the previous owner wanted.

As for speed, we all love classic boats, old Cigs, Scarab KV's and such, how fast did they go back in their heyday with 330's or even 420's? This obsession with speed is fun but who really wants to run a big (40') boat with a handful of people onboard at 80mph? I prefer cruising at 40-50, not getting beat up and having room onboard for a few friends.

Anything can be converted to outboards, there's a couple already mentioned on this thread, plus a 43' magnum underway at the moment, a 48 Fountain in the classifieds, no reason a Baja couldn't be converted too.

My 2 cents.
RR

Jupiter Sunsation 12-06-2018 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by rak rua (Post 4662411)
I'd say "Yes" to all three...... It's a viable project, it's a potential nightmare and no resale.
Is that what's important? I read stories here everyday about people changing their boats, the dramas, cash they pour into the project and none if ever comes back. These projects are great for the owner who gets exactly what he wants rather than a compromise of what the previous owner wanted.

As for speed, we all love classic boats, old Cigs, Scarab KV's and such, how fast did they go back in their heyday with 330's or even 420's? This obsession with speed is fun but who really wants to run a big (40') boat with a handful of people onboard at 80mph? I prefer cruising at 40-50, not getting beat up and having room onboard for a few friends.

Anything can be converted to outboards, there's a couple already mentioned on this thread, plus a 43' magnum underway at the moment, a 48 Fountain in the classifieds, no reason a Baja couldn't be converted too.

My 2 cents.
RR

I'd think the resale would be ideal for the Caribbean.

TexomaPowerboater 12-06-2018 09:46 AM

If there were two of the same model boats that ran about the same speed, one with two outboards one with twin I/O I'd take the outboards and I'd pay a little more.

https://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/53270 Saw this boat for sale the other day, a sick old 35 Cig with 350 yamis, runs 64mph. If resale is a concern I'd try to stay in a range that allows for 65+mph with twin outboards, so 30-35ft about max depending on weight and power.

Wildman_grafix 12-06-2018 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater (Post 4662478)
If there were two of the same model boats that ran about the same speed, one with two outboards one with twin I/O I'd take the outboards and I'd pay a little more.

https://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/53270 Saw this boat for sale the other day, a sick old 35 Cig with 350 yamis, runs 64mph. If resale is a concern I'd try to stay in a range that allows for 65+mph with twin outboards, so 30-35ft about max depending on weight and power.

Good look selling that for 110K,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

ren3 12-06-2018 02:18 PM

There was a build thread in the Cigarette section on my 28' center console conversion from the 35'. Tried to show all the steps along the way.

J-Bonz 12-06-2018 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by ren3 (Post 4662530)
There was a build thread in the Cigarette section on my 28' center console conversion from the 35'. Tried to show all the steps along the way.

https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/...ette-28-a.html

i still have the sticker you gave my buddy ItsPeanut when u sent him the hatch

MDG_Jason 12-06-2018 11:14 PM

We are in the process of converting a single I/O 28 Pantera to twin 300 Verados

Jupiter Sunsation 12-07-2018 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by MDG_Jason (Post 4662595)
We are in the process of converting a single I/O 28 Pantera to twin 300 Verados

Here is a Bullet with a pair of 300s:
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...nced%20listing

I would suspect the choice of using Etecs will probably hurt the sale.

bikergja 12-07-2018 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 4662636)
Here is a Bullet with a pair of 300s:
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...nced%20listing

I would suspect the choice of using Etecs will probably hurt the sale.

yes not everyone is an etec fan, but at the time they were lighter, less maintenance, more umph for same hp, they could be run without oil for a short period of time and better mpg additionally you could use regular gas. They perform better then the Yamaha and optimax engines I had on equal boats.. Of course price and warrantee played a big part also. I am happy with them. Have not put a penny into them yet.

Jupiter Sunsation 12-07-2018 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by bikergja (Post 4662640)

yes not everyone is an etec fan, but at the time they were lighter, less maintenance, more umph for same hp, they could be run without oil for a short period of time and better mpg additionally you could use regular gas. They perform better then the Yamaha and optimax engines I had on equal boats.. Of course price and warrantee played a big part also. I am happy with them. Have not put a penny into them yet.

Is the boat for sale your 88 Bullet? Did you do the conversion? If so, anything that was a big obstacle?

bikergja 12-08-2018 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 4662710)
Is the boat for sale your 88 Bullet? Did you do the conversion? If so, anything that was a big obstacle?

yes the boat is mine. I did most of the conversion myself. The biggest obstacle was getting people to show up for the work I couldn't do. I had a local guy do my bracket because I wanted custome work to it and the support system. They all promise to show up but getting them there was a problem. I was promised 10 days but two months later it was ready. Frustration with vendors was the worse thing being an 'A' type personality. No one met a schdule. I took my time doing most as I had back surgery right in the middle of it all and was laced up for a year. During that time I had the engines mounted and was even more frustrated seeing it sitting in the yard without being able to finish and use it. But now that is finished it is everything I wanted it to be. During the last year I converted a 31 sonic to outboards and sold it a couple of weeks ago.

Jupiter Sunsation 12-08-2018 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by bikergja (Post 4662778)

yes the boat is mine. I did most of the conversion myself. The biggest obstacle was getting people to show up for the work I couldn't do. I had a local guy do my bracket because I wanted custome work to it and the support system. They all promise to show up but getting them there was a problem. I was promised 10 days but two months later it was ready. Frustration with vendors was the worse thing being an 'A' type personality. No one met a schdule. I took my time doing most as I had back surgery right in the middle of it all and was laced up for a year. During that time I had the engines mounted and was even more frustrated seeing it sitting in the yard without being able to finish and use it. But now that is finished it is everything I wanted it to be. During the last year I converted a 31 sonic to outboards and sold it a couple of weeks ago.

Glad to hear you are back in action to tackle another conversion! In keeping with the title of the thread, do you see a 40 Baja conversion to triples worthwhile?

bikergja 12-08-2018 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 4662786)
Glad to hear you are back in action to tackle another conversion! In keeping with the title of the thread, do you see a 40 Baja conversion to triples worthwhile?

that is a hard question to answer. I guess if it is a boat you like and intend to keep also have the $$$ to put in it sure. Don't expect to get your money out of it and it might be a hard sell. If you are in the Miami area you are welcome to see what I have done and the effort and dollars involved.

RaggedEdge 12-08-2018 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cary 29 (Post 4662345)
It works out great. Done it twice to I/o boat.

Yes you did. And did not some old sage tell you to leave it alone, it ran great.

Arnesons, well it ran like a champ, might have benefited from a prop change, but ran real well. Leave it alone said the old sage, boat is killer.

Lately I have been thinking that dry Sixes and a pair of the new Merc turbos would be a fun fix for that hull. The Old Sage has spoken! Get to work.

Cary 29 12-08-2018 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge (Post 4662819)
Yes you did. And did not some old sage tell you to leave it alone, it ran great.

Arnesons, well it ran like a champ, might have benefited from a prop change, but ran real well. Leave it alone said the old sage, boat is killer.

Lately I have been thinking that dry Sixes and a pair of the new Merc turbos would be a fun fix for that hull. The Old Sage has spoken! Get to work.

Hahaha I Know... Hey Pete how are you? Gimme a call when you get a chance, gotta catch up. Thanks for your kind words and encouragement always..

Twin O/B Sonic 12-09-2018 09:07 AM

Beautiful project!

The 31' Sonic would have also been a perfect candidate.

On the e-tecs, Im a huge fan. They are excellent motors and the most advanced two stroke O/B on the planet. I had two different twin O/B Sonics, both with JohnRudes and did fine on resale.
W/the Merc XS's NLA, look for the e-tec stock to grow.

I am currently converting a single I/O 25' Checkmate to twin O/B's.

Im an O/B guy anyhow so I see this as all positives.

I understand the serious I/O guys will be slow to change but I think w/the popularity of the large center consoles which are virtually all O/B powered, and a lot of that market is pulling consumers from the hi perf offshore market and those new owners will be sharing their positive experiences.
Probably never take the true hi perf I/O guys but thats to be expected.

For the other 95% of the market though........, the new Merc V-8 O/B's w/rumors of a 500 hp version in the works IMO, is a game changer.
That would mean 1000 hp from twins w/a warranty, near bullet proof powerheads and gear cases, near zero maintenance etc, etc......

Converting existing I/O boats is a huge project and expensive, as you know. But bang for buck.......

I like it.
I have a mental list of candidate hulls including a 27' Magnum sedan, which has already been done.

Originally Posted by bikergja (Post 4662640)

Wildman_grafix 12-09-2018 09:58 AM

For a lot of people that would have to pay for the work I don’t think converting will take over.

What I don’t understand is why new performance OB’s don’t seem to sell. Both Outerlimits and AT came out with models and It doesn’t seem to have caught on.

hogie roll 12-09-2018 03:22 PM

Look at this thing roll out, 78mph