Cleveland Construction Out Of Offshore Racing >

Cleveland Construction Out Of Offshore Racing

Notices

Cleveland Construction Out Of Offshore Racing

Old 12-06-2018, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyenBrian
This quote seems like it should be generating a lot more winter time conversation than it has so far.... Small was among the early leading proponents of Race World Offshore, which was formed by Key West businessman Larry Bleil, late last year year. More recently, after being informed that the tow/support boats the Cleveland Construction team has supplied at no charge to SBI for the past 10 years would not be craned into the water at the 2018 SBI National Championships in Clearwater, Fla., in October, Small withdrew his team from the contest. Shortly thereafter, he was banned by SBI from competing in the Key West the following month.
That quote was already addressed after the Clearwater race and personally I side with SBI.

CC wanted boats put in the water via crane and in the closed off race circle area. Both of those items require insurance coverage to be addressed and there is associated cost. This was a last minute request from the CC team from what was reported as well. So SBI said they can use the ramp where the crane was (it was open and working just fine, I use it and was there that weekend) and keep their safety boat outside of the closed race circle (other teams did this as well). From what was posted that didn't sit well with CC and the whole thing blew up.

Last edited by Nate5.0; 12-06-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:39 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
That quote was already addressed after the Clearwater race and personally I side with SBI.

CC wanted boats put in the water via crane and in the closed off race circle area. Both of those items require insurance coverage to be addressed and there is associated cost. This was a last minute request from the CC team from what was reported as well. So SBI said they can use the ramp where the crane was (it was open and working just fine, I use it and was there that weekend) and keep their safety boat outside of the closed race circle (other teams did this as well). From what was posted that didn't sit well with CC and the whole thing blew up.
From an earlier story on offshoreonly.com:

SBI’s John Carbonell offered a different version of the situation.

“Fast Response had leased a boat from Cleveland Construction to serve as the tow boat during the Clearwater National Championship Race,” he said. “However, on Saturday, Cleveland Construction demanded that they also be allowed to launch a private boat to be used for their personal service on the course. This private boat was not part of the race event and was not covered under the race contracts or insurance policies covering the event.

“While Cleveland Construction could have launched their boat at a private facility and kept it within the spectator area as required of every other race team, they chose instead to pull the tow boat out of the race at the last minute and remove their team from the competition,” he continued. “SBIP was able to make other tow boat arrangements and there was no impact on any of the races or race teams.”

Here's the link to the complete story, https://www.offshoreonly.com/article...t-for-key-west.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Angel1

Mark Small has been the biggest supporter of Rescue and Safety in Offshore racing since his entrance into the sport. His Team and all that he brought to all of the events he attended will be missed by all. His contribution in all aspects of the support are a fine example of sportsmanship that can and should be the standard example for all to follow as we proceed into the future. We all at Dark Side Offshore Racing Rescue wish Mark and his entire Team all of the best in their future endeavors.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about the exit of Cleveland Construction from offshore powerboat racing. As a race fan I want to thank Mark Small for everything he had down for the sport over the years and to everyone from Team Cleveland Construction for their dedication to the Team and sport. Mark I hope all works out for you with your health problems and thanks again for everything you have done for the sport, you will be missed. Andy
Old 12-24-2018, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Imagine if Carbonell hangs up SBI....

SOTW has had recent articles about OPA and P1 working together, OPA and RWO have looked like they want to play together...

So with SBI out of the picture and if, OPA, P1 and RWO join forces and work together, All 3 at each race sight, OPA handles P classes and SVL, RWO runs SS, supercat and unlimited, while P! does their thing. Big turnout for the race sight, and non stop action all weekend,

More competition for the racers, more show for the spectators, more exposure for the sponsors............
Exactly, SBI currently (other than KW) has a measly 3 races per weekend. OPA Englewood this year had 4 per day which is much more worthy of spectator travel, especially with all that goes into bringing their boat to participate in the flotilla. And if you haven't traveled with your boat its A LOT!

Keith
Old 12-24-2018, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Matt

I think a good followup to any of these race teams leaving should be how much money it costs to operate a full season team. It would give the average fan an idea of how much time AND money running a season takes out of you and how little you get in return.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:32 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Matt

I think a good followup to any of these race teams leaving should be how much money it costs to operate a full season team. It would give the average fan an idea of how much time AND money running a season takes out of you and how little you get in return.
It costs a lot of money. Exactly how much depends on more variables than I can count. Entry fees are chump change next to transportation and lodging for a full crew. Blow an engine and you could be talking about adding anything from a few thousand bucks to a couple of hundred thousand (Mercury Racing 1650/1750 at the highest level) to your weekend tab.

As for the return, measured in dollars and cents there isn't one. Measured in exposure for sponsors, it could better.

But measured by the pleasure racers get while they're into it—and that changes from team to team—it's worthwhile. Until it's not.

Expensive hobbies, and almost all motorsports fall under that category, don't make much financial sense. (Former skydiver here, not a motorsport but a very expensive hobby, trust me.) They are driven by the heart, not the head. Offshore racing is no exception.

So how do you judge what an offshore racer, knowing full well there is no financial return on investment in the sport, gets back? For that reason, I see no reason to frame it negatively.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
It costs a lot of money. Exactly how much depends on more variables than I can count. Entry fees are chump change next to transportation and lodging for a full crew. Blow an engine and you could be talking about adding anything from a few thousand bucks to a couple of hundred thousand (Mercury Racing 1650/1750 at the highest level) to your weekend tab.

As for the return, measured in dollars and cents there isn't one. Measured in exposure for sponsors, it could better.

But measured by the pleasure racers get while they're into it—and that changes from team to team—it's worthwhile. Until it's not.

Expensive hobbies, and almost all motorsports fall under that category, don't make much financial sense. (Former skydiver here, not a motorsport but a very expensive hobby, trust me.) They are driven by the heart, not the head. Offshore racing is no exception.

So how do you judge what an offshore racer, knowing full well there is no financial return on investment in the sport, gets back? For that reason, I see no reason to frame it negatively.

I wouldn't "frame it negatively" but rather team ran 10 races, spent 1mm and won 3 events after 100 hours of prep/planning/travel. Everyone knows what their boat cost them running it as a pleasure boat, some guys get lucky just fuel and oil changes while others go deep on a restoration, repower etc.

The thrill of victory is great for the little guy and the deep pocket corporate teams regardless of the cost. I knew nothing of the CC team but after looking at their website they were clearly a well funded corporate team which would make me think the expense was significant (both in time and money).
Old 12-24-2018, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Matt

let me see what I can figure up, but I remember in one year hotel bills for our “budget friendly” factory 1 team was 55k back in the early 2000s.

Im sure we will all cringe on what that cost and it’s got almost 20 years of inflation padding lol.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Don't let my wife see this thread !!!!!!!! This will be my 21 year of it