Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
5200 no grip after 7 months ??? >

5200 no grip after 7 months ???

Notices

5200 no grip after 7 months ???

Old 01-09-2019, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

If this was a Fountain would it be a 5400.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 92nsx
I swear I read some where to store 4200 / 5200 in the freezer and then take it out 12 hours before use?.?.?. Can't think of where I read it maybe The Hull Truth forums? I have a new unopend tube of 5200 in the freezer now just in case I need it some day.

I read that too somewhere but it was only after opening the tube so it would not harden completely and be still usable. I have some in the freezer I have done this with and it seems to work but I put the small cap back on it tightly and store in Ziplock baggie just in case it decides to leak. Hopefully it doesn't change the chemical composition any if frozen for months lol.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Besides what has already been said (i.e. don't use 5200 for this, and surface prep) the main thing is to not tighten the bolts until after it dries. It's pretty clear the film was very thin which is why the stuff didn't work. If you put it on and tighten right away then it all gets squashed out. do a very light bolt job, let it set, then bolt it down all the way the next day