Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Best open bow for speed (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/358591-best-open-bow-speed.html)

Sydwayz 01-18-2019 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tcurrie (Post 4668619)
Possibly. Our first boat was a small Baja 208 Islander with 454 MAG and we would get up to 60 with adults in the front almost 70 with just my wife and I. Didn't push it that fast when our kids were out with us though. Other thing is I am in Michigan boating mostly on a river and once in awhile lake Michigan around Muskegon.

Yeah, so... don't do that. Sunsation and other MCOB boats even have "speed limit" plaques at the helm stating to keep speeds under 35 or so with folks in the bow.
1) That weight up there is going to adjust your COG, and that will bite you when you least expect it, namely in a turn and/or evasive maneuver.
2) One bad wave is going to either catapult them out or a stuff would be, let's just say catastrophic.

Don't get me wrong, I do like MCOB boats. I've been up front in an Open Bow catamaran with twin 400Rs at moderate speeds; when I have the utmost of trust in the driver.
But when he was getting on it, he had us in the back, and in Poker Run conditions we were all in Lifelines in the backseat.

Tcurrie 01-18-2019 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 4668627)
Yeah, so... don't do that. Sunsation and other MCOB boats even have "speed limit" plaques at the helm stating to keep speeds under 35 or so with folks in the bow.
1) That weight up there is going to adjust your COG, and that will bite you when you least expect it, namely in a turn and/or evasive maneuver.
2) One bad wave is going to either catapult them out or a stuff would be, let's just say catastrophic.

Don't get me wrong, I do like MCOB boats. I've been up front in an Open Bow catamaran with twin 400Rs at moderate speeds; when I have the utmost of trust in the driver.
But when he was getting on it, he had us in the back, and in Poker Run conditions we were all in Lifelines in the backseat.

Where we boat don't really have to worry about rough waters, it's a river in Michigan between two dams. When people were up front it would be a straight shot up to speed then back it off to around 30 and cruise around. Been running boats on that river for 18 years.

Baja Rooster 01-18-2019 03:09 PM

Oddly enough, the bow on my Islander is the quietest place of the whole boat where two people can chat across the isle in normal talky talk voice. But yea, I wouldn’t put anybody that you cherish up there at any great speed where one bad wave can launch them out. I reserve that space for ex girlfriends that want one last ride for ol’ times sake. ;p

Tcurrie 01-18-2019 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster (Post 4668646)
Oddly enough, the bow on my Islander is the quietest place of the whole boat where two people can chat across the isle in normal talky talk voice. But yea, I wouldn’t put anybody that you cherish up there at any great speed where one bad wave can launch them out. I reserve that space for ex girlfriends that want one last ride for ol’ times sake. ;p

Not go balls to the walls with people up in the bow, but when just two of us out there want something can still has good speed. Really want to stick with something that has thru hull exhaust, I love that sound

rak rua 01-18-2019 06:41 PM

I agree the bow is no place for passengers at speed. Does anyone else think it's funny Sunsation fit a 100mph speedo in the peak of their MCOB bow......?

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...0162ad608.jpeg
Photo lifted at random from a boat advertised online, no connections or inferences please.

Tcurrie 01-18-2019 08:27 PM

Ok, for the record I have been boating on this river for 18 years. I would not do anything to put my kids or any other passengers in danger. The desire for an open bow with good speed is so we have room for our family when we are out for a cruise but when it's just my wife and I want a boat that can get up and go. I'm aware of all the safety rules and recommendation that come with open bows and how fast you should travel with people in the front. Pushed our first open bow to around 60 with other experienced boaters that felt 100% comfortable with how I drive a boat and the conditions of the water. It was a let's see what this thing can do on a straight shot then we slowed it down and cruised the river at 30-35mph. I appreciate all the suggestion to be aware of risks and what I need to do to be safe.

Tcurrie 01-18-2019 08:50 PM

What is the overall thought on Ultra 28 Shadow Deck?

H2X BOSS 01-19-2019 11:21 AM

@Speedracer 29 Where did you get this conversion done on the progression? I love it!

Speedracer29 01-19-2019 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by H2X BOSS (Post 4668750)
@Speedracer 29 Where did you get this conversion done on the progression? I love it!

Not mine, but it was custom made by Kevin at ProgressIon about 10 years ago.

ghabeck 01-19-2019 01:12 PM

Will be listing my 2004 cobra 27 Razor MCOB -

Will be listing my 2004 Cobra 27 Razor MCOB -excellent shape,lots of freeboard and grab handles for the ladies up front
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kth0udwby...JjPpAOUba?dl=0