Donzi go fast outboard cat on the way. >

Donzi go fast outboard cat on the way.

Notices

Donzi go fast outboard cat on the way.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 539 Likes on 244 Posts
Default Donzi go fast outboard cat on the way.

Haven't read any talk of this lately but it's on powerboatlistings.
https://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/57853

Theyre having trouble with the tape measure, the ad refers to it as a 40, 41 and 44.....! To my untrained eye, the image looks a lot like many of the other cats on the market but I'm sure they're all different up close and on the water. Centre steering looks a bit innovative. Good to see anything new from Donzi.
RR

Last edited by rak rua; 01-19-2019 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Spellnig
Old 01-20-2019, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 320 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua View Post
Haven't read any talk of this lately but it's on powerboatlistings.
https://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/57853

Theyre having trouble with the tape measure, the ad refers to it as a 40, 41 and 44.....! To my untrained eye, the image looks a lot like many of the other cats on the market but I'm sure they're all different up close and on the water. Centre steering looks a bit innovative. Good to see anything new from Donzi.
RR
Define - "on the way"

I'll interpret - like GM in the 70s-80s-90s they came out with a new platform then rebadged it as a Chevy, then Olds, then Buick, then Pontiac and then in a few instances the new Cadillac. So this new Donzi is the rebadged Fountain cat which started life as some other brand. The bigger question is "WHY?" Donzi is an old brand but realistically has been out of production for about 10 years. Sure they will pop a new 22 or 35 and it will sit on a dealer lot somewhere until it sells. They brought out the cruiser outboard 41 last year, can't remember if it sold or not.

The bigger question: How many new cats were sold in 2018? Counting all brands 30-50-100? Why try to break into such a tiny market with an unproven product? Even if you have a banner year and sell 5 boats, did that even cover your costs? To me it further dilutes the brand name and it will be seen as the Cadillac Cimmaron of cats.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:02 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 539 Likes on 244 Posts

I hope you're not expecting me to answer all those questions........ Call Donzi (Iconic Marine) and ask them.
Youve just shattered my positive energy aura and left a residue of negative ions all over my rose coloured glasses and I can't see a thing!

RR
Old 01-20-2019, 10:11 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 866 Likes on 409 Posts

I hope you're not expecting me to answer all those questions........ Call Donzi (Iconic Marine) and ask them.
Youve just shattered my positive energy aura and left a residue of negative ions all over my rose coloured glasses and I can't see a thing!

RR
I have zero idea what that "listing" is referring to so I've sent it to Joe Curran, the chief operating officer of Donzi's parent company, Iconic Marine Group.

As for Donzi's 44-foot cat, here's a bit—and I mean a bit as the people involved weren't offering a lot of detail when the story went live and still aren't—of accurate information, https://speedonthewater.com/new-boat...catamaran-no-1.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought the listing looked HOKEY when I saw it. Would a company with the resources Donzi has behind them put out something like that "ad"?
Old 01-21-2019, 10:53 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 374 Likes on 125 Posts

It's real. And it's definitely 40'+.

Wil have quad OBs and be a niche boat. This isn't a NEWLY tooled(hull) so the relative R&D costs aren't prohibitive. I bet they will sell enough that we will see a few on the regular circuit.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

RR
JS does that. All his posts basically claim boat builder should just stop building boats. Most negative poster on the board. I hope they all do well. Itís a gamble but hoping for the best.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Crude Intentions View Post

JS does that. All his posts basically claim boat builder should just stop building boats. Most negative poster on the board. I hope they all do well. Itís a gamble but hoping for the best.
Nah......boat builders should focus on what they do well and what the market demands. Nortech/Sunsation have become CC builders only at this point. They built great I/O products in the past but they adapted to what the market wants. OL is probably the feel good story of the year considering what that place has been through over the last 4-5 years. I have never met Dan K. but that kid (who really isn't a kid anymore) has been "the resin" that held that place together through all of its ups/downs.

Any business is based on sales......want to go in to an ice cream shop business: Rent $3000 a month, ice creams are $5 each so the first 20 you sell each day just covers the rent, plus the labor/materials which are all variables. Donzi guys have to be wondering "how many can we sell" while going up against legends in that outboard class (Skater, MTI, Doug Wright, Mystic, DCB) then consider they are competing with smaller west coast builders AND Fountain itself. Can't really go on price (labor/materials/motors all cost the same), can't really trade on the Donzi name since it isn't known for cats so what is the marketing strategy to introduce a boat like theirs into a crowded market? I'm not a boat salesman but you would have to wonder how they will try to "outsell" their cat vs. the big 5 competitors.

I like Donzi, if I wanted a new 18-22 I/O boat it would be them or Sutphen for that style/size boat. If I was shopping 30-40 cats with OB power I like the DW/Mystic offerings.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation View Post
into a crowded market? I'm not a boat salesman but you would have to wonder how they will try to "outsell" their cat vs. the big 5 competitors.
If I was shopping 30-40 cats with OB power I like the DW/Mystic offerings.
Why jump into a crowded market? I would call the CC market that EVERYONE seems to be jumping into a crowded market, yet they still sell. Out of the OB cats Doug Wright is the only one offering a 38-40ish OB cat so seems like they may be testing the waters. If what Cash said is right the tooling costs are lower then a outright new design.

Things change, who knows.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix View Post
Why jump into a crowded market? I would call the CC market that EVERYONE seems to be jumping into a crowded market, yet they still sell. Out of the OB cats Doug Wright is the only one offering a 38-40ish OB cat so seems like they may be testing the waters. If what Cash said is right the tooling costs are lower then a outright new design.

Things change, who knows.
Cashbar seems to have some inside knowledge on this boat so maybe he is right. Great for Donzi!

How many 34-42 ft outboard powered cats sold last year/expect to sell this year?

CC's- how many triple engine (or more) CC's were sold last year/expect to sell this year? I'd bet this CC market is 20 to 1 compared to the OB performance cat market (so more players can be in this market).
How many are replacements for I/O go fast boats? This is important because it is cannibalizing sales of I/O boats, yes another new performance CC sold but one more buyer that won't be building a new I/O performance boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.