OT: Opinions on Ryobi Power Tools

Notices

OT: Opinions on Ryobi Power Tools

Old 10-30-2002, 09:16 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts
Default OT: Opinions on Ryobi Power Tools

Home Depot has the "6 Pack" combo kit 18V Cordless set on sale here in my area for $399. This looks like a steel of a deal:

Drill
Sawzall
Freehand Circular Saw
Mounted Miter Box Circular Saw (on case)
Flashlight
Punch Saw
All in an all encompassing rolling store case (plastic); including a 1 hour charger, and three batteries.

I have looked at the Milwalkee and Dewalt kits, and they are not as inclusive or attractively priced as these.

What do you all think of this set of tools? I have used just about everything EXCEPT Ryobi in the past, and I want to know others' experiences.

Ryobi Kit

Last edited by Sydwayz; 10-30-2002 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-30-2002, 09:35 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 851 Likes on 312 Posts

I remodeled for 10 years and have been through them all. Ryobi is fine for average homeowner use, but it won't stand up to the rigors of daily construction. If you use them less than a contractor would, go ahead and buy them, they'll be fine. You get what you pay for in tools, the others are more expensive but have rugged reliability in their favor. I also found the more expensive tools were more precise, but the average homeowner wouldn't be able to discriminate the tolerances.
Old 10-30-2002, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian: I think dewalt makes the best but I have some ryobi "alittle more affordable" and I love them. good tool with a good warranty, but ive never needed a warranty. actually they had a sale at a home depot in town here and i bought a 14.4 volt Ryobi drill with 2 batts. and charger for $79.00. its a great drill. as a means of saws though you may want to buy something alittle tougher