Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
triple inboard vs quad and more outboard engine boats popularity ! >

triple inboard vs quad and more outboard engine boats popularity !

Notices

triple inboard vs quad and more outboard engine boats popularity !

Old 01-24-2019, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Just can’t beat the sound of the big blocks. Looks also. Clip one just don’t look good to em. But to each his own. However no way in hell I’d own a triple I/O. I wouldn’t even wanna contemplate working on those rear engines
Old 01-24-2019, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Crude Intentions
Just can’t beat the sound of the big blocks. Looks also. Clip one just don’t look good to em. But to each his own. However no way in hell I’d own a triple I/O. I wouldn’t even wanna contemplate working on those rear engines
How is this for sound? New Mercury 300R 4.6L V8. Wait until the SC version comes out.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 1,310 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
How is this for sound? New Mercury 300R 4.6L V8. Wait until the SC version comes out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMIhcyh6VkI
How much is a new 300 or 400R?

Maybe they should do this, that would sound good.
LOL
Old 01-24-2019, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 364 Likes on 243 Posts

I read comments about maintnance. I just don t quite get it! My engines were rebuilt at 1250-1300 hours... all 3 still had all their original merc seals! Never opened! In my opinion, that is reliable to me! How many more hours should they last to be called reliable? Again i have had this boat for 5 years now and enjoy it very much, and yes big engine compartment, big cockpit and big cabin!

fuel burn between a triple 700 and triple 350 is less and i hope so! Twice total hp must burn roughly twice the fuel right?

anyways, i enjoy reading the different opinions on that subject!

I could also start a tread about what really are the advantage of CC s vs what i have! That is another subject i see more pros with older models! I must be getting old sticking with my old ideas!
Old 01-24-2019, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts

I'm guessing most triple and quad outboard boat owners have the maintenance done by a dealer/shop.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMIhcyh6VkI
still doesn’t sound nearly as good as big blocks to me. And on regular performance boats they are an eyesore. Again my opinion. To each his own. I’d own a cc with clip ons as a second boat but a big block boat will always be my primary love.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 559 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff32
I was just reading on Stu first run of 2019, and looking at the pictures, my eyes stopped on 2 quad outboard powered boat, and thought about my triple 500's boat...
the popularity of similar boats to my sonic 45 went down with the years, we hear about cost of maintnance, even more about cost of insurance, some saying they can not get insurance to cover a triple engine boat, or too expensive to insure, so on and so forth...

What the hell happened to all those cost when looking at many quad engines boat now, even 5 engines sometimes ! you can still tell me outboard engines are less thursty than inboard engines, but I doubt a quad boat is a lot less thursty than my triple. I doubt insurance company don't make any differences between a twin to a quad engine boats...
an oil change is an oil change, so wether it'd be 3 or 4 outboards, oil and filter still cost the same, and probably drive oil too!

maybe my triple inboard boat will come back to be a nice set-up in the market! Hey, it's only a 3 engines boat !
They are the modern equivalent of Excalibur 40s, meteors, and 402s. I’m betting they’ll depreciate badly once the next hot trend comes along.

Twin engine hardcore fish boats from good brands will probably fare the best resale wise. 2nd and 3rd owners will be weary of the operating costs of 3 and 4 engine boats.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Have you ever though about throwing trip 400's on the DONZI?
No, that would ruin the boat IMO. The reason we have it is for the fast big block fun run/ poker run boat. We have the Nor-Tech for the reliable go everywhere type boat.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts

A big C.C. is so much more practical once you get to whatever party cove where most boats spend the majority of their life.