Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Mercury 400+ outboard (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/358731-mercury-400-outboard.html)

justfishing 01-24-2019 09:39 PM

Mercury 400+ outboard

When will a 400+ outboard be released?

The current 400r is a 2.6l block. I think it has probably reached it Max hp.

I have heard talk of a inline 6 sleeveless block of 3.5l. That makes is about 1/3 bigger so 500 hp should be in reach.

The new v8s platform is 4.6l. The exhaust runners are in the center of the v which makes it a good candidate for turbos.

It looks like 2 good candidates for increased hp.

What do you think each platform will be used for and will there be a Mercury 400+ ob at the Miami boat show.

Sydwayz 01-25-2019 09:50 AM

Recently discussed; it's not happening for the 2019 boat show.

HP is easy to make.
Keeping the lower in one piece from vertical shaft to prop nut is a whole separate ball of wax.

Look at how monstrous the Seven-Marine outboards are. There is a reason you only see them on the giant boats that really don't leave the water. The lower half of any of those motors can't take the shock loads that prop bite introduces after leaving and re-entry.

IGetWet 01-25-2019 11:29 AM

The way the 400R’s are selling there’s no way they’d release another motor to take sales away from those. Maybe when a competitor starts selling something to compete or 400R sales begin to decline or another 5 years you’ll see a higher HP motor.

berns29scarab 01-25-2019 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 4669708)
Recently discussed; it's not happening for the 2019 boat show.

HP is easy to make.
Keeping the lower in one piece from vertical shaft to prop nut is a whole separate ball of wax.

Look at how monstrous the Seven-Marine outboards are. There is a reason you only see them on the giant boats that really don't leave the water. The lower half of any of those motors can't take the shock loads that prop bite introduces after leaving and re-entry.

Correct and the new 400+ 4.6 which was slated to be released at Miami show is now going to be held up until Summer/Fall.

PremierPOWER 01-25-2019 08:36 PM

Mercury is so far behind on production of 350/ 400 verados and the new 300 V8's, no way they are going to release something right now until they can catch up.

Keith Atlanta 01-25-2019 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 4669708)

Yeah, I saw a triple Seven Marine Midnight Express at Palm Beach Yach Center a few weeks ago with 2 of the 3 lowers off and all the cowls removed. Didnt look too much like routine maintenance if you know what I mean. :)

Blueabyss 01-26-2019 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta (Post 4669810)
Yeah, I saw a triple Seven Marine Midnight Express at Palm Beach Yach Center a few weeks ago with 2 of the 3 lowers off and all the cowls removed. Didnt look too much like routine maintenance if you know what I mean. :)

That sounds more like a gear ratio change.The gear ratio can be changed by swapping gears in the transmission.

Chris