Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
DaveP Who??? Ok Seriously - We need more help in the fight against speed limits in NJ >

DaveP Who??? Ok Seriously - We need more help in the fight against speed limits in NJ

Notices

DaveP Who??? Ok Seriously - We need more help in the fight against speed limits in NJ

Old 10-29-2002, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DaveP Who??? Ok Seriously - We need more help in the fight against speed limits in NJ

Hello Everyone! Long time no post! Sorry but since I joined the ranks of those in the marine industry it has been 90hr work weeks and no time for OSO or many other things. Last time I was on a Lace Outing in NYC with DJD and crew was 1980?? well maybe 1990 somthing.... It seems that long ago.

Now - for more important stuff!

We are gearing up for the upcoming battle against the proposed speed limits issues on all NJ tidal water ways. This is what we have done to date:
*NJPPC has retained an attorney that specializes in Maritime law.
*NJPPC & NJOPRA have requested data on all boating accidents within the last 10 years that occurred in the State of NJ.
* We have had dinner with our attorney for a strategy session on how we go about attacking this issue
* We have requested and received several letters supporting Boating Education/Licencing vs. a blanket speed limit that would cover all state tidal waters.

If you have already sent in your letter of support to us - thank you!

If you have not - we need you to please take the time to email us a letter ([email protected])

The following is an email that I sent out tonight to our members:

As you may be aware, there is now a proposal being very seriously considered by a New Jersey State Boating Commission which will limit boat speed on ALL TIDAL NEW JERSEY WATERS to 35 MPH on weekends. This proposal can very quickly be passed this fall and then be enforceable for the next year's
boating season. The 2002 NJ boating season unfortunately had a sharp increase in deaths due to boating accidents. The proposal's intent is to make NJ waters safer. While we all can agree that safer waters are a very worthwhile cause, most power boaters do not believe that imposing a speed
limit on ALL New Jersey tidal waters is the right solution - especially when weighing its minimal contribution to safer boating to its onerous effect upon power boaters and New Jersey's boating related businesses.

We are asking you to write a letter to the Boating Commission expressing your concerns about the proposed speed limit and how it will impact you. We also ask that you possibly make an alternative suggestion for improving safety on New Jersey waters. Most boating organizations promote education
as being the best way to eliminate accidents from happening. In our opinion, speed limits will not measurably reduce the occurrence of accidents.

Here is a suggested format for your letter to the Boating Commission:

1. Introduce yourself including your name, profession, where you live and where you boat in New Jersey.

2. Describe how long you have been boating, any boating credentials you may have, how you use your boat and why boating is important to you.

3. Describe why you personally don't believe universally-imposed speed limits to be an effective safety measure.

4. Describe how an imposed speed limit will negatively impact how you boat in New Jersey and what the economic impact will be to the region's economy.

5. Please make an alternative recommendation (i.e. not speed limits) for the commission to consider for improving safety.

PLEASE FORWARD ALL LETTERS BY NOVEMBER 1 to [email protected]

Thanks again for everyone's support on this very hot topic. Hopefully we will be able to prevail early with clear communication of our opinions as well as the facts that support them. If not - I will be sure to let everyone know when we need to start up the war machine (petitions, more letters, phone calls, political favors, etc...)
Old 10-29-2002, 10:52 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What can I do?
I'm not a boat owner.
Just a sister, a girlfriend, and daughter of one. But a boater just about all my life. I do know that if that happens that our runs from Sandy Hook down to the bay will change.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:54 AM
Registered

You can write a letter expressing you opinion as to why you would be against a proposed speed limit. You don't have to be a boat owner to express your opposition.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:57 AM
Registered

hey Dave....nice to see ya

hope all is going well with the new job

got your e-mail regarding the subject..I"ll try to get something out to ya within the next day or so

take care good luck and be well
Old 10-30-2002, 06:13 PM
Registered

New job is great! 90hr work weeks but I went to Sarasota and ran the Poker Run last weekend. Going to Ft. Lauderdale Boatshow this weekend and then going to Key West in 2 weeks for the worlds.

Good luck in New Orleans!
Old 10-30-2002, 07:04 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

DaveP, You make that sound so easy....

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 10-30-2002, 08:51 PM
Registered

And I have the best wife in the whole wide world!!!
Old 10-31-2002, 03:55 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats going to cost you big time with her ..$$$$$$$