Former marina manager in prison >

Former marina manager in prison

Notices

Former marina manager in prison

Old 11-02-2002, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally posted by Troutly
Did he use to be a member here? I recall some sales dude from Michigan shooting off his yap about Nordic boats a long while back.
Yes, he was a member here on OSO. The dealership I was talking about is in Watervliet, MI that was under J&M Marine. He was part owner and manager. He was always highlighting the speeds of the Nordic 35 footers on OSO that he was selling. Apparently, there were a few guys on OSO that had some previous dealings with Marc that didn't like how Marc delt with them either and they made it quite obvious. I had heard from others that he was a little shady, but I didn't know exactly to what extent . I almost bought a boat from him too, but the deal fell through when another prospect came along and bought it before I could get down there. Probably a blessing in disguise. I have to admit Marc was pretty cool with me at first, but later I began finding out some of the stuff he had pulled on even some of his better customers, I just avoided him. Eventually, what I was hearing began to get worse and worse. I figured that if anyone else or myself tried doing any business with him that there was probably a very good possibility of becoming another one of his victims.

There was a pretty good column that was written up about it on the front page of The Herald-Palladium newspaper.

Heading: "Former marina operator guilty of fraud"

Story: "A former marina operator charged with bilking customers out of tens of thousands of dollars has pleaded gulity to three felony charges.
Marc L. Jacob, who was part owner of J&M Marine in Watervliet, sold boats he didn't even own, causing unwitting buyers to lose large investments, prosecutors say."

It goes on in more detail for several paragraphs after that.

Last edited by KAAMA; 11-02-2002 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-02-2002, 03:28 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was also a whizzing match on the board a while back between my ole' college roommate and Marc (he used to work for Marc). That was pretty heated, some of you may remember. There were some posts from other members about keeping things like that off the board.

I think Marc was a good guy, just a little misguided (as some very wise person put it.) I think he got into the scenario where once you do a little flub, then it seems not so bad, then it can escalate and get worse. Eventually, it catches up to you.

He brokered our boat and was straight up the whole time. And honest, even claiming the taxes, etc. (that was another crime that he was found guilty of in other instances) My transaction was quite a few years back and I also insisted on an active role in that participation. Of course, I'm anal However, he did do some very bad things to some very nice people in our local area. I know of 3 people that had issues. Fortunately for them, they resolved them before the fan was impacted Not without financial burdens to them, though.

He was very nice to deal with if you were a prospective customer, but if you bought elsewhere, he acted differently. I had that experience with him as well. Unfortunately along the way, I don't think he realized the value of building relationships with either current or prospective customers.

And who knows, he may be back and selling boats again someday. If he learned from his mistakes and concentrates on relationships, I think he'd be a very successful businessman. He has a lot to overcome, both a now soiled reputation and personal controversy to overcome. We can pray that these 23 months are used wisely, so he is able to sort things out and get back on the straight and narrow.

Mark
Old 11-02-2002, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

To let everyone know.

The person that took over the marina in Watervliet is a good mechanic and fair person. He has done work for me and I have no complaints. It would be unfair for him loose business just because he is in a crooks past location.
Old 11-03-2002, 07:44 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I received the last boat that Marc delivered before his business went south and the "authorities" went after him.

I have to admit I got very nervous at the time of delivery becaue negative comments were being posted on OSO about his business. I live in CT and his business was in MI...that's alot of miles when your talking big $$$

However, Marc did come through as promised. There were some minor issues with my boat as a result of him not sea-trialing it and ensuring every thing on the boat was "ship-shape". I wound up doing the repairs myself and when I sent him a bill, he was out of business.

I agree with 32Fever, Marc seemed to be a good person that got in over his head and a lack of good sense did him in. There is no excuse for those crimes that he got convicted on. I don't know the particulars of other people's dealings and won't comment on those, I can only speak for myself.

He had enthusiasm for his product and knew it well. That enthusiasm rubbed off on his customers and he moved a fair amount of inventory.

I also hope he spends the next couple of years reflecting on what could have been a good career and attempts to change his ways. It'll be a "tough row to hoe" when he gets out.
Old 11-03-2002, 01:38 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally posted by Quiet Storm
To let everyone know.

The person that took over the marina in Watervliet is a good mechanic and fair person. He has done work for me and I have no complaints. It would be unfair for him loose business just because he is in a crooks past location.
Good point QS. It's now called Nielson's Sports & Marina and Bill Neilson is a great guy, and great mechanic. He does all the work on our Fountain (much of it fixing stuff I screwed up...LOL!). At this point, he carries no offshore boat lines, but does deal with lake boats and snowmobiles.

Last edited by 32fever; 11-03-2002 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-03-2002, 07:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally posted by catmando
"...the fan was impacted". A more PC way to put it for sure!

Sup Mark, how's the beakboat runnin'?
Unfortunately it's not running. It's sitting on the trailer in the lovely 30 degree weather waiting for summer Then "it's go time". LOL!
Old 11-05-2002, 06:58 PM
PokRNrun

Catmando -

I find it alarming when a number of you try to sound so very knowledgable with your comments and information (or rather lack thereof). Regarding the marina at Lake Texoma, the family name is LOE rather than your brilliant spelling of LOWE. This forum has its moments of truth, yet it gets a little warped at times.