Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Donzi Icon 44 Catamaran: Taking A Much Closer Look >

Donzi Icon 44 Catamaran: Taking A Much Closer Look

Notices

Donzi Icon 44 Catamaran: Taking A Much Closer Look

Old 02-12-2019, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks very cool and roomy. I have to wonder what it would run with a pair of Seven marine 627's. Seems like it would be way better than having 4 engines. Also looks like someone forgot about the tie bar when they designed the rear step down to the water. I wonder if Donzi will end up making a custom tie bar that actually fits the boat to make those steps usable.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

With the Miami show now behind us , was curious what everyone’s thoughts are in this boat that has a chance to see it ?
Old 02-21-2019, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 131 Likes on 54 Posts

I wonder how that exposed carbon will do in the summer heat.

i have built a lot of carbon fiber racecar parts and un painted or cleared carbon (where you can see the actual carbon) can be a real problem in the sun. The carbon is a perfect “black body” and absorbs radiation like crazy. We had issues with the fibers getting so hot the epoxy would start to soften, and high stress parts would fail but Only on the sunniest days, not nessisarily the hottest. we ended up putting a light coat of spray paint on the parts and the failures stopped.

boat looks bad ass, I want to see one with just the center seats/pod on the race course

Old 02-22-2019, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
Looks very cool and roomy. I have to wonder what it would run with a pair of Seven marine 627's. Seems like it would be way better than having 4 engines. Also looks like someone forgot about the tie bar when they designed the rear step down to the water. I wonder if Donzi will end up making a custom tie bar that actually fits the boat to make those steps usable.
I think Donzi has some thinking to do on that quad OB idea considering MTI/Mercury brought the 300 OB boat and it did really good and the Doug Wright 42 showed up with twin 400's. If the hull is good/efficient, you won't need quads.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 106 Likes on 61 Posts

I must be the only one...but this thing is hideous! I don't care for the seating myself. I wish them all the best but I don't see these selling.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

The seven Marine lowers are not that reliable on center consoles so I doubt they will hold up running on the surface. I have not seen a lower for a 7 Marine that allow running on the surface either. Maybe they have one. Then consider that 1 seven Marine is not much lighter than the pair of 400s and is making 170 less hp
not sure why everyone keeps trying to compare this 44 to the dw 42. This boat is substantially bigger with more room
Old 02-22-2019, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

With such a bold move building something this different from what there known for , why on earth would they have not put this boat somewhere at the show where it could if taken people for test rides . After all thats what Miami shown is known for ? My guess is this boat will make the boat show circuit for a year. And agree with the quad comment . With all the other brands doing it with twins and seeing great performance why would anyone want quads . This boat was based on a 39 platinum hull so not sure where the extra 5 feet comes into play. The back seating is a great idea I’ll give em that . Other than that not sure how well this boat will do . Just my .02 cents
Old 02-22-2019, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tbirdusa
That cockpit brings to mind the delta wing race car.
Definitely puts the Cock in "Cockpit"