Commentary: Miami Still Matters

Notices

Commentary: Miami Still Matters

Old 02-12-2019, 06:36 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,206 Posts
Default Commentary: Miami Still Matters

Despite ongoing challenges, the Miami International Boat Show remains the most important event of its kind, https://www.offshoreonly.com/article...-still-matters.

From the OSO home page.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

it is such a pain in the neck to get there and back this might be the first time in 15 years I don't go, and I live here.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:48 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,206 Posts

Originally Posted by pstorti
it is such a pain in the neck to get there and back this might be the first time in 15 years I don't go, and I live here.
Much as I wish I could disagree, I can't. Getting to and from the show is a nightmare.

When the water taxis picked up and dropped off on both sides of the river downtown the first year the show moved to Virginia Key, staying downtown was the best solution. No lines, 10-minutes between the show venue and the downtown hotels, easy. Then the organizers consolidated all the water taxis to a pair of massive venues, which means parking nearby by, getting on and off a cattle boat and repeating the process at the end of the day. So we still stay downtown but have had to turn to Uber, which from our hotel on Brickell can take 30 to 45 minutes. Lovely.

The Miami Boat Show still matters. But the organizers need to find better transportation solutions or they will eventually lose their audience. Case in point, you—and you live there.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year was ridiculous to/from on the bus route or by car, traffic was insane, 1hr+ from parking to gate. I'm always in Lauderdale/Miami and I'll be there again, Friday & Saturday...hopefully we'll see some better coordination and efforts by the organizers to speed things up.... or yes, I'll agree they're going to lose audience.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 162 Likes on 63 Posts

So is the show scheduled to move back to the convention center when that's done or does it seem they will keep it out there?
Old 02-13-2019, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boatfreak
So is the show scheduled to move back to the convention center when that's done or does it seem they will keep it out there?
As far as I know it is never going back. On paper marine stadium is better everything in one place, but in reality it isn't as nice. Getting on and off boats in the convention center was pleasant and easy. Getting on and off boats on the floating docks is a crowded mess, hot, and a hassle. In the convention center you could see the whole boat, bottom, transom, bow, when they are in the water you don't get as good a look at them.

I have resorted to Uber also but you are still stuck with a bus hassle to and from the show and exorbitant Uber prices. Might sneak over Monday when it quiets down.