Notices

AO Cat

Old 11-02-2002, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey quiet storm, I have met Scott from American Offshore, he gave me a tour of his place{i don't live far from the factory}I saw several boats from start to finish, he has a first class operation, he does in house engine work and most everything else, he is a super guy that stands behind his product, but like some of the other people said test drive some of the brands out there, then make your choice, you can not go wrong with a AO3100
Mark
Old 11-02-2002, 02:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Scott is no longer with AO. Art has it back.

Also, the AO has the same freeboard, cabin area (different layout), etc, as a Chris Cat. The main difference is in power train (usually Bravos), dash, and lighter layups in the newer AOs. The C Cats used offshore racing style installations: Merc Speedmasters, the engines are installed farther forward using driveshafts, etc.

Old 11-02-2002, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Catman
Go to the American Offshore Owner's Forum for an update.
Old 11-02-2002, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Since you have an in, can you tell us will we ever be allowed to anchor by the power plant again? I do understand the security aspect but its like a old friend turning its back on you. Many of us enjoyed anchoring there for years. We waved at the guards and they waved back. I feel that we are being punished for something we did not do and would never consider doing. Namely damaging the plant.

Maximus

I will be checking out Cats Ass in a couple of weeks. (It was fun writing that) After that, if I have any doubts about the AO, I will catch a flight and let you show me the difference.

From what I've read, T2x hasn't said too many bad things about AO's especially the 3100.

I do know one thing about you, you can rub it in. Quote: 80 degrees here today. I think we may have reached 45.
Old 11-03-2002, 03:36 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,713 Likes on 3,786 Posts

i have been in a friends 31 AO, with 502's and procharger it runs over 100, and is solid, ive watch other lighter cats run with us and were very squirrely to say the least. ride in every cat of similar size and watch how the boats handle in moderate chop.
Old 11-03-2002, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default dont misunderstand

I am not bashing the AO. It's a nice machine. And everyone has their specific needs in a boat.
I personally didn't want a cabin (never usd,broken stuff)
regards to the t2x advice comment. that was purely for his exp with cat design. I don't know what AO's theorys are I just thought it would be important to ask some of these questions before you buy so you dont have buyers remorse.

I've ony run against one AO (last spring/Ft Myers Poker Run). A 31 and it did just fine running at 100 in 1.5's . We had a great run. lots of fun.

Good luck with whatever you choose. and remember the golden rule about Splitting Hairs and go for reliability. A cat is tourture on equipment

Maximus

ps. Open offer still stands for the run on my Spectre
Old 11-03-2002, 11:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Maximus

I do appreciate the advice. If I didn’t want help with making a decision, I wouldn’t be on here asking for it. I have only been on two cats. A 30’Carrera and a 31’ Warlock. I didn’t like the way the Carrera was put together and I didn’t like the way the Warlock handled. I was ready to give up on cats.

I asked for advise on the Warlock and T2x gave me a very straight up answer. There was no doubt how he felt about the boat and why. From previous post I saw that T2x was involved with the design of the Chris Cat that turned into the AO. Can’t be all bad.

As catmondo puts it: Cats with high freeboard appeal to the recreational performance boater who wants his family to feel safer and more protected in the cockpit. This is where I’m at.

I would still love to take a ride on your Spectre. I don’t know when I will be down there but I’ll look you up then.

Thanks Roger
Old 11-04-2002, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

catmando

I do like the seating and throttle arrangement. It would be different driving from the port side. There has been many times my wife would of liked to have control of the throttles. It will make things interesting.

H2Xmark

Thanks for the input and advice.

Dueclaws

Where can I see find the info on Scott? I tried to find the AO Owner's Fourm and couldn't.
Old 11-04-2002, 01:07 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Okay, here goes.......................

I am very familiar with the design.....but not the construction of the AO. Presuming it is built correctly the Chris Cat molds will produce a very satisfying cat.

Concerning the wetness, there is no doubt that most cats are subject to spray at low speed, in breezy conditions. Shadows sprayed, Chris Cats sprayed, Skaters spray, and so do Spectres.
When you encounter a forward quartering breeze over 8-10mph in choppy waters.......you may get an occasional splash in the face.....at speeds below 30 or so. The Shadow/Chris's are a little worse because of the abrupt straight sides forward....but even spray rails do not fully correct this.........

Many vees have the same problem.....I encountered it in a Formula 33 about 2 years ago.

As to the performance.......The Chris design will run about 10 mph slower than current Skaters of equal size.....mostly due to the extra tunnel lift in the Skater and the lighter materials and overall profile. Rough water has always been the great equalizer between these designs and in anything over 3 feet the performance equalizes and begins to tip in favor of the older deeper design....... However, Peter's new 32 has very similar aspect ratios to the old Shadows and Chris Cats, making it superior or equal in all conditions.

Obviously, having built the Shadows and currently owning a Skater, I have made my choice...........

T2x
Old 11-04-2002, 03:36 PM
merlin540

or you could own them both like i do a 31 ao and a 32 skater both great boats and i love them both. i agree the skater is a little more flighty then the ao by the way t2x thanks for the headset and the comp com see ya charlie amann

Quick Reply: AO Cat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.