Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   AO Cat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/35913-ao-cat.html)

Quiet Storm 10-30-2002 01:34 PM

AO Cat

I'm considering the 31' American Offshore named Cats Ass in the classified section. Its clear that’s it’s a fast boat but how will the ride be at 30 to 40 MPH in a one to two foot chop? For those special times when you can't run fast. Would I get wet?

merlin540 10-30-2002 02:54 PM

no you wont get wet sweet spot is about 65mph on plane boats run great at 100 plus i have 525 hrs on my 1997 31 ao and i love it;)

Quiet Storm 10-31-2002 06:51 AM

Thanks for the info. Its a 350 mile ride one way to see the boat. If it was a cat that runs wet at the lower speeds, I wouldn't bother to go.

I won't be able to go see it untill 11-16. I hope its not snowing then. It was snowing there last week.

I think its a perfect set-up for me. I'll let you know.

Mear Image 10-31-2002 06:36 PM

Great riding boat & handeling boat..

Flashback 10-31-2002 10:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my 1985 Chris Cat. After AO purchased the molds from CC they did some minor refinements, but they are basicly the same. I do get a little mist from the center of the tunnel at slower speeds in bumpy water, but its no big deal to me, because it does not happen all the time. It does feel real good when its a real hot day.:D I love my Chris and it runs through the rough stuff with ease.

I say go for the AO!

Intolerant1 10-31-2002 11:23 PM

What are you doing with the red boat? If you plan on keeping it, I would be happy to make sure it is looked after :)

khadley 11-01-2002 12:25 AM

I saw that boat at put-in-bay on labor day weekend it looks and sounds good i think you would be happy with it

you will get wet running that slow they all sneeze at slower speeds but you'll find that you will be running faster than 40 mph

they ride better at 70+
:D

Quiet Storm 11-01-2002 07:10 AM

I'm real excited about seeing this boat. From what all you guys say, I won't be going wrong. The funny thing is I saw that black and white Chris Cat that was in the classified section some time ago and thought what a great looking boat, like yours is Flashback. Then I found out it became the AO. It must be a sign.

khadley
Its good to hear that it floats and runs. I'm not sure we will be able to put it in the water this late in the season.

Chris
Thanks for the offer but as hard as it would be to sell the Checkmate, it would have to go. I only have one slip and not enough money to keep two boats. Plus, you need to get your back healthy before you get back in the rough stuff.

About the spray. I've been sprayed good in my Checkmate and lived. I guess if you don't want to get wet, leave it on the trailer.

Shane 11-01-2002 07:37 AM

WOW! Cats Ass is SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D

Dueclaws 11-01-2002 09:10 AM

What Flashback said. We get a little wet sometimes, but so what! We really like our Chris Cat!