Expectations of -2 Sportmasters on a Baja

Notices

Expectations of -2 Sportmasters on a Baja

Old 03-04-2019, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by Full Force
Shorter drives make planing harder, bigger props more cavitation ..

seems more converned on having a rooster?? Lots of money to see a rooster

Roosters are cool. ;-D
Old 03-04-2019, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I have zero practical experience with your set up and mods in question, but generally Bajas need that deep prop to get the bow up as they tend to be heavy up front. Drives with deep props also tend to last longer as the prop isn’t beating the water surface. I’ve read time and time again of folks trying every set up on a Baja and generally end up back at factory settings.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
I have zero practical experience with your set up and mods in question, but generally Bajas need that deep prop to get the bow up as they tend to be heavy up front. Drives with deep props also tend to last longer as the prop isn’t beating the water surface. I’ve read time and time again of folks trying every set up on a Baja and generally end up back at factory settings.

this right here, they are made for certain things, speed is not one of them, even the couple staggeredand big power were no rockets ..
Old 03-04-2019, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,043 Likes on 1,355 Posts

If you want to spray water leave the ladder down and save the 8 grand
Old 03-04-2019, 11:21 AM
Registered

I was told from one of the Baja builders that they copied the hull design from the straight bottom 38 Top Gun, and stretched it 2 feet for triple engine options. So... I beg to differ that it wouldn't benefit from mods. Although, Baja Rooster makes a good point... Baja set these boats up correct from the factory... so I'd prolly be back at square one eventually.

Still curious of real world experiences, because the cost for just -2 shorties is minimal. If I saw any gains... other than cool looking nose cones... it could be worth it.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,043 Likes on 1,355 Posts

If you were running 700-800 a side and running well over 80 you might pick up 1-2 mph but not with your power
Old 03-04-2019, 11:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by BajaIceBreaker
I was told from one of the Baja builders that they copied the hull design from the straight bottom 38 Top Gun, and stretched it 2 feet for triple engine options. So... I beg to differ that it wouldn't benefit from mods. Although, Baja Rooster makes a good point... Baja set these boats up correct from the factory... so I'd prolly be back at square one eventually.

Still curious of real world experiences, because the cost for just -2 shorties is minimal. If I saw any gains... other than cool looking nose cones... it could be worth it.
The 40 is a stretched 36 Baja, the 36 baja STARTED as a old Squatron mold and changed around, the 40 rides wet due to lifting strakes not being right, I am friends with the person who designed the baja 40, my info on the 40 is accurate. not a top gun mold at all or ever.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Full Force
The 40 is a stretched 36 Baja, the 36 baja STARTED as a old Squatron mold and changed around, the 40 rides wet due to lifting strakes not being right, I am friends with the person who designed the baja 40, my info on the 40 is accurate. not a top gun mold at all or ever.
So.. its not worth putting any money into it to make it go faster?

Last edited by BajaIceBreaker; 03-04-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I would say that’s going to depend on what your goals are ? I’m not saying it can’t go faster but it’s going to take a considerable mount of money to see something worthwhile, as far as if it’s worth it or not that’s up to you and how much money you want to spend. I spent $50,000 to gain two or 3 miles an hour on my mistress because the boat was set up simply to not be fast.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Here’s my opinion after the adventures I’ve done for the last 10 years if you actually want to go fast buy a fountain or a hustler , if you want a true rough water boat buy a Apache a cigarette or Pantera ... if you want a cheaper all around fun boat that does A little bit of everything by a Baja

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.