Performance Boats Steal The Stockholm International Boat Show

Notices

Performance Boats Steal The Stockholm International Boat Show

Old 03-06-2019, 10:44 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,221 Posts
Default Performance Boats Steal The Stockholm International Boat Show

A small but mighty go-fast boat section is the star of this week's Stockholm International Boat Show, https://speedonthewater.com/in-the-n...onal-boat-show.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost no-one in Sweden is buying any US made boats now, they have issued retaliatory duty in response to recent changes in US policy, and that makes the cost significantly more expensive than it was previously.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:55 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,221 Posts

Originally Posted by pstorti
Almost no-one in Sweden is buying any US made boats now, they have issued retaliatory duty in response to recent changes in US policy, and that makes the cost significantly more expensive than it was previously.
You are absolutely correct. When I was in Sweden covering two poker runs last summer, Carl-Fredrik Söderberg—the owner of the Outerlimits SL 44 on display this week at the Stockholm International Boat Show—told me that had he purchased his boat after the U.S. tariffs went into effect he would have paid $150,000 to $200,000 more for it. He missed that added cost, which would have killed the sale, by about a month, if memory serves.

Why does it matter? When used boats built in the U.S. are sold overseas, they help: 1. Clear out pre-owned inventory here. 2. Finance new-boat purchases here for buyers with existing boats to move before they order their next one.

I'm not an economist, but I do know that the downstream effects of tariffs run deeper than most people imagine, much less are aware of.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 585 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by matt trulio

i'm not an economist, but i do know that the downstream effects of tariffs run deeper than most people imagine, much less are aware of.
bingo
Old 03-10-2019, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prices here in Europe for used US boats go up! Importing used us boats are nearly dead as 25% extra customs on them!
Prices for new US boats also 25% UP.
Real bad situation!!
I hope the dont take 25% more customs for boat parts next time here,as i heaar somehing like this.
Michael