Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
38 (377) staggered scarab setup (x dimension) >

38 (377) staggered scarab setup (x dimension)

Notices

38 (377) staggered scarab setup (x dimension)

Old 03-10-2019, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 38 (377) staggered scarab setup (x dimension)

I have recently purchased a staggered 377 scarab and am re rigging it with 540 ci Big blocks. Before i install the engines i am cleaning up the transom and was wondering if anyone has ever raised the TRS drives , how far, and what the results were? I will be keeping the TRS drives as i have plenty of parts to keep them alive for time to come. Any help , hints or suggextions in X dimension for a trs on this hull would be of great help.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:52 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,326 Likes on 282 Posts

I know TRS run deep and they'd have to come way up to turn it into a surfacing drive. I forgot the reason this is discouraged, maybe because it was so deep. Try this in the scarab or the classic offshore topic, there are people there who know a lot about this.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 78tahiti
I have recently purchased a staggered 377 scarab and am re rigging it with 540 ci Big blocks. Before i install the engines i am cleaning up the transom and was wondering if anyone has ever raised the TRS drives , how far, and what the results were? I will be keeping the TRS drives as i have plenty of parts to keep them alive for time to come. Any help , hints or suggextions in X dimension for a trs on this hull would be of great help.
Based on my experience, spending the $ to raise the TRS drives and the resulting rerigging of the engine compartment will give you a small preformance gain but a large drain on your wallet.
Ben
Old 03-12-2019, 08:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

konrads will raise the x dimension
Old 03-13-2019, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Any amount you can go up will likely help and if you are starting with a clean transom and stringers the only real conflict you have is rub rail interference and engine hatch clearance. I doubt you could get them too high. Find out how high you can go and back your way into where they would put the shaft.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:02 PM
B38
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

To raise X with TRS the engine gets raised up 4" and exhaust holes 4". Bad idea to raise center of gravity on hull with motors higher. That's why Merc designed speedmaster, a number 4 is like four inches shorter to keep engines lower in hull. Put Konrads on her and save a ton of money. I did, im happy.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by B38
To raise X with TRS the engine gets raised up 4" and exhaust holes 4". Bad idea to raise center of gravity on hull with motors higher. That's why Merc designed speedmaster, a number 4 is like four inches shorter to keep engines lower in hull. Put Konrads on her and save a ton of money. I did, im happy.
Konrads would be ideal but unfortunately theyre not in the budget at the moment. As far as fiberglass and wood work I have done this on multiple boats (stringer and transom replacement) and have all the tools, supplies and skills that i need so it wont break my bank to do a little extra work. I understand your concern about changing the center of gravity but didnt plan on going more than 2". I was just curious if anyone has ever done this on this specific hull with staggered engines and what there experience and results were.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

most of the time trs drives were mounted deep because back then prop selection was limited.... IMO.... TRS weak link is the lower ..... but a couple of inches up will probably only help the boat
Old 03-13-2019, 07:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by northernoffshore
most of the time trs drives were mounted deep because back then prop selection was limited.... IMO.... TRS weak link is the lower ..... but a couple of inches up will probably only help the boat
I agree, I know it will definitely help but was curious how much. Ive heard some say 5-6 mph but havent had any hard definite answers. The TRS lower is definitely the weak link, especially the RH rotation. We have had good luck with them just keeping up on oil changes and checking tolerances regularly. We have a 31 Excalibur with twin 700hp blower motors with the drives raised 1 inch and havent had a problem and we drive it like its stolen haha
Old 03-13-2019, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 339 Posts

Do it right and put 4s or 5s on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.