Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Buying a boat in Canada & registering in US? >

Buying a boat in Canada & registering in US?

Notices

Buying a boat in Canada & registering in US?

Old 03-12-2019, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a boat in Canada & registering in US?

Has anyone bought a US made boat in Canada, and returned and registered it back in the US?

I've been googling and it looks like there are some forms to fill out and a customs import duty to pay (1.5%).

Q - For a small (29') and inexpensive trailer boat ($40K) is there any reason or need to pay an import broker? Is the paperwork (EPA form, etc) a big hassle? I'm a DIY guy, but don't want to create a paperwork nightmare if its just better hire an import broker.

Thx!

Last edited by motuman; 03-12-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought a Sunsation 288 in Montreal last month.... If you're buying from private party, I would hire a broker. If boat is from a dealer in Canada make them handle the export. I believe you will need a 7501 form completed depending on what state you live in. You will also need notarized bill of sales for both the trailer and boat. Seller will need to surrender registrations for both boat and trailer. They don't title watercraft or trailers in Canada. Also, beings the boat was manufactured in the US there shouldn't be any duties. The dealership I bought from told me as long as I didn't come into Canada to take delivery of the boat I didn't have to pay tax or duties. So the seller would have to bring across the border or you would have to hire a transport.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ccrder1
I just bought a Sunsation 288 in Montreal last month.... If you're buying from private party, I would hire a broker. If boat is from a dealer in Canada make them handle the export. I believe you will need a 7501 form completed depending on what state you live in. You will also need notarized bill of sales for both the trailer and boat. Seller will need to surrender registrations for both boat and trailer. They don't title watercraft or trailers in Canada. Also, beings the boat was manufactured in the US there shouldn't be any duties. The dealership I bought from told me as long as I didn't come into Canada to take delivery of the boat I didn't have to pay tax or duties. So the seller would have to bring across the border or you would have to hire a transport.
Thanks for the reply. One of the models I have been searching for is a Sunsation 288 (preferably MCOB) and I think I saw the ad for your boat. Seem to recall a 288 ad that said "can help deliver to US" although I don't think I saw any pics of details on the boat.

thx again.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

This is the 288 MCOB I purchased. Be thankful you didn't go after it lol! It's turned into a project!
Old 03-12-2019, 03:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ccrder1

This is the 288 MCOB I purchased. Be thankful you didn't go after it lol! It's turned into a project!
Congrats on the new Sunny, its a sharp one! Sorry to hear it turned into a project....but they often do.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i also had a 288 Sunsation imported from Canada (Quebec).i hired a import broker
Old 03-12-2019, 06:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 93 shooter
i also had a 288 Sunsation imported from Canada (Quebec).i hired a import broker
- I am hearing you may or may not have to pay an import duty (1.5%) if the boat was originally built in the US.

- Also hearing that you want the seller (or sellers "agent") to delver the boat across the boarder, so you don't have to pay provincial sales tax.

- First broker I called was around $900 for their services. Who did you use?

Thanks again.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:44 PM
Registered

I had my boat shipped from BC to Michigan. I used Jones & Jones Custom Brokers. They handled everything and it went flawless.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i used 'Livingston',do not recall what the broker and duty fee's were,will look it up and let you know.the whole transaction was hassle free.brokerage fee for boat & trailer was $500.00 and Customs was 1% of value of boat & trailer,this was in 2016
good luck

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...e-into-the-u.s.

Originally Posted by motuman
- I am hearing you may or may not have to pay an import duty (1.5%) if the boat was originally built in the US.

- Also hearing that you want the seller (or sellers "agent") to delver the boat across the boarder, so you don't have to pay provincial sales tax.

- First broker I called was around $900 for their services. Who did you use?

Thanks again.

Last edited by 93 shooter; 03-13-2019 at 02:47 PM. Reason: additional info /added link to web site
Old 03-12-2019, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I operate a private title and tag agency in Florida and from what i’ve seen done would recommend hiring an import broker. Specify that you want them to handle paperwork only no other logistics, just makes your process easier. In in Florida I can help....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.