Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Best boating lake in KY, TN (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/359565-best-boating-lake-ky-tn.html)

Revspan 03-14-2019 07:23 PM

Best boating lake in KY, TN

Lookin for a lake that IS NOT a reservoir. Spend a lot of time on lake Cumberland, but would like to find a lake that I could potentially buy lakefront property on. For sure would like a lake that is decent sized and could have a boat lift on it. Just don’t like the marina style life, and if I buy property, I don’t want to have to trailer all the time. These things are deal breakers for LC or Dale Hollow.

Any ideas? Thanks

GLENAMY 242SS 03-14-2019 08:04 PM

I just moved from Houston to boat on Barkley/Kentucky Lake. If 200+ miles of length of lake is a too short try 500+ miles attached of river. to each, they are also connected. This place is boating heaven. I got my covered berth at Kuttawa Harbor. Good Luck this place IS HEVEN for boating.

SkiDoc 03-14-2019 08:25 PM

Your in Bowling Green, you should check out the Old Hickory, Cumberland river areas. Tennessee river areas are nice. Barkley and Kentucky lakes are nice. Ohio river boating is good....sometimes. Just have to decide whether you peace and quiet or not. I live in Bowling Green and have a house with a dock on Lake Cumberland but have boated on all of the mentioned places. All of them have pros and cons. Chattanooga area is very beautiful. I just built this dock in Scottsville on my ski lake. Good luck will be fun looking.https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...04756ae6c9.jpg

Slippery 03-14-2019 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by SkiDoc (Post 4677192)
Your in Bowling Green, you should check out the Old Hickory, Cumberland river areas. Tennessee river areas are nice. Barkley and Kentucky lakes are nice. Ohio river boating is good....sometimes. Just have to decide whether you peace and quiet or not. I live in Bowling Green and have a house with a dock on Lake Cumberland but have boated on all of the mentioned places. All of them have pros and cons. Chattanooga area is very beautiful. I just built this dock in Scottsville on my ski lake. Good luck will be fun looking.https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...04756ae6c9.jpg

don't mean to hijack but I gotta know...what's the cool old wood-decker ? Looks like it might be old enough for a pre v-drive parallel drive ?

snapmorgan 03-15-2019 12:49 AM

I have a 2br condo for sale on Lake barkley. We have a 20 slip private marina and a 6 slip courtesy dock that are available for use.

Marginmn 03-15-2019 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by GLENAMY 242SS (Post 4677191)
I just moved from Houston to boat on Barkley/Kentucky Lake. If 200+ miles of length of lake is a too short try 500+ miles attached of river. to each, they are also connected. This place is boating heaven. I got my covered berth at Kuttawa Harbor. Good Luck this place IS HEVEN for boating.

So which lake is preferred to live on, KY or Barkley and why?

bigredbaja 03-15-2019 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Marginmn (Post 4677225)
So which lake is preferred to live on, KY or Barkley and why?

Both lakes will offer most of what you are looking for KY Lake is the larger of the two and for the most part you can run without being in the channel as for living there I assume you are looking for a weekend place? If you like to go to a marina for of an evening for a drink or food then Barkley is where you would want to be its also closer to the small town of Eddyville which will have the necessities such as grocery, hardware store and a NAPA that carries a few of the marine basics for emergency's. Geographically if you are in Bowling Green Lake Barkley is closer, depending on where you find a place on KY lake it could mean another 45 minutes to an hour of travel. If you are looking for a Condo Barkley will have more to offer and depending on your budget more affordable options, we have a condo at Bend of the Rivers where Joe's (2 bdrm. condo above) is located and the location is great plus as he mentioned we have a new marina and the facility has a new large pool overlooking the lake. On KY you are a little more isolated from civilization and home cost seem to be a little higher. As somebody mentioned earlier you really cant go wrong with either lake.

TexomaPowerboater 03-15-2019 09:09 AM

My family has had the perfect lakehouse for years, but think I'd rather have a dock condo with slip. I like to stay on the water, feels like I'm always pulling teeth just trying to get everyone on the water and then their only good for a 3-4 hour boat ride. The house can be such a chore and then getting the boat out becomes another chore. They are more expensive to maintain. You never get away from the people either unless you overnight on the hook, your going to trade dock life for lake house life and that doesn't always work out so well. I've had a few conflicts with neighbors. Perhaps a case of the "the grass is always greener on the other side."

BIGSLOW 03-15-2019 11:20 AM

On Lake Barkley you are limited on the size of your dock you can have at your lake front property. For a covered dock at your property, the largest boat you could get under would be a 25 foot. On the Kentucky Lake side, there doesn't seem to be any limitations on dock size.

ALL_IN! 03-15-2019 12:26 PM

You should come to our lake on June 21-22 for the Kuttawa Cannonball Run - we'll show you ALOT of the lake, marinas, etc.

Kuttawa Cannonball Run ? The official website of The Kuttawa Cannonball Run!
www.Facebook.com/KuttawaCannonballRun
www.Instagram.com/KuttawaCannonballRun

https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/...uttawa-ky.html

liberator221 03-15-2019 12:37 PM

Norris lake in Tn is beautiful lake, but don't know anything about regulations as far as private docks, but there are some on the lake.

1960brookwood 03-15-2019 06:01 PM

Retiring soon and the family is in Murfreesboro--subscribed.

Looking for lake frontage with a dock and big enough to handle a mid size performance boat.

SkiDoc 03-15-2019 07:39 PM

Slippery it is an 18 Rayson Craft 1963 vdrive. It has a 460 ford and runs great. I am going to repaint and get rid of the redneck bucket seats in the next couple of years. I had it in the ski lake this last fall to run it before I winterized it. It was a former ski race boat built for Bob Majer of Majerajah skis.

cig20 03-15-2019 07:53 PM

Lake Kowee Salem SC

payuppsucker 03-19-2019 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by SkiDoc (Post 4677346)
Slippery it is an 18 Rayson Craft 1963 vdrive. It has a 460 ford and runs great. I am going to repaint and get rid of the redneck bucket seats in the next couple of years. I had it in the ski lake this last fall to run it before I winterized it. It was a former ski race boat built for Bob Majer of Majerajah skis.

Cool Boat Skidoc.
I've got a 61 Raysoncraft, 389 Tri Power Pontiac. Raced at Parker back in the day.