Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Let's move to Active Thunder.... >

Let's move to Active Thunder....

Notices

Let's move to Active Thunder....

Old 03-25-2019, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

I believe they stopped using wood in mid to late 90's.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 1,324 Likes on 739 Posts

There was a thread on here when Shogen was redoing a 32 that had a rotten transom. The boat looked killer when done but can't remember the year. Is Pat still on the site? That would be the easiest ask him.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 291 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by BBYSTWY
Any links to any of these?? all the ones I can find are waaayyy above my budget lol
There were a couple kicking around in the $70k price range that never sold. You’re going to have to beat the bushes and look through old threads in the AT forums. I would put a post on the forums stating what you’re looking for. Off the top of my head in that price range there was RadioActive, one with 500EFI’s on extension boxes, and one with Brad Smith power for like $65k.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:19 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 248 Likes on 124 Posts

I gotcha...I was looking at the 37 that's in the classifieds for sale as well but the 496's are a no go for me...just can't do it...I know the speed bug will get me eventually and those are not good motors for modding I don't think...yes there are Raylar kits but if I'm gonna drop that much coin it will have well over 525 HP haha
Old 03-25-2019, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

He just sent me tons and tons of pics and videos....being there's no wood...what benefit would I get out of a survey? I'm honestly asking...I can check the motors out as I'm a mechanic and plan to thoroughly check them out...what else should I be looking for?? does whatever they use as coring in lieu of wood prone to rotting as well??
Look for stringer separation, loose bulkheads and tabs. Motor is half the value so you want to get those checked out - oil samples, compression and leak down test. Look at gimbal bearings/transom assembly. If it was abused in rough water it will have problems, doesn't matter what brand, some stay together better than others. A well driven go-fast boat with 500+hp at 15 years probably needs a complete mechanical rebuild - motors, transom assemblies, drives, etc.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:37 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
There was a thread on here when Shogen was redoing a 32 that had a rotten transom. The boat looked killer when done but can't remember the year. Is Pat still on the site? That would be the easiest ask him.
That was a 1996 or 1997. AT went to composite transom and stringer cores in 1999ish.
A 2002 will not have wood in the transom or stringers. There is still some wood used on interior and finishing stuff.
The 32 AT rides as good or better than most 35's in rough water.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:40 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Good info....that's what I was looking for thanks!! Are any of these problems you mentioned more prevelant in an AT of that age that you know of?? Just to be clear to...I don't mind paying for a survey if its warranted but I just think for what they charge I can find the same issues or non issues for free...I have been a boat mechanic for a long time and my dad has been one for 30 years so the mechanical side is covered. We also have a moisture meter and bore scope and all the goodies for looking into tight areas where problems like to hide.

Thanks again!!
Old 03-25-2019, 12:42 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

That's what I've been seeing griff...There's a guy that boats where I do that we have a lot of mutual friends and all of them swear by his 32 AT...they all say pound for pound dollar for dollar they are very hard to beat when things get sloppy.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Good info....that's what I was looking for thanks!! Are any of these problems you mentioned more prevelant in an AT of that age that you know of?? Just to be clear to...I don't mind paying for a survey if its warranted but I just think for what they charge I can find the same issues or non issues for free...I have been a boat mechanic for a long time and my dad has been one for 30 years so the mechanical side is covered. We also have a moisture meter and bore scope and all the goodies for looking into tight areas where problems like to hide.

Thanks again!!
No, just common to all go-fast boats in general. You may be a mechanic, but a good certified Merc mechanic can tell you if the gimbal bearings are within spec or if they are falling down and need to be replaced, which is common on boats that have been ridden hard. Can be a costly repair if you have to pull both motors. I agree in general about survey's. I use a good mechanic to survey. No written reports, but they can usually give me a ballpark to fix.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

Survey Survey Survey, i was going to buy a newer Cigarette boat that i knew the history of and during the survey he found out that it had a delamination issue. no one had heard of a Cigarette doing that. but it saved me 10's of thousands of dollars with having a survey done

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.