Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Bought my first go fast! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/359769-bought-my-first-go-fast.html)

rak rua 03-26-2019 08:33 PM

I was going to 'quote' almost every post on this thread which might force you to read everything again because it's great info from experienced guys. Instead, I'll just add my 2 cents worth....

Congrats on the new ride, great to hear your loving it! :)

RR

P.S. You'd better get your post count to 10, then you can post some pics! :D

Griff 03-27-2019 01:20 AM

A 29 Outlaw single runs in the low 50's mph range. It will take roughly a 20hp increase to gain each 1 mph in top speed. If you add 200hp, you will run low 60's. The cost of adding 200hp the right way to 496 will cost about 10k. Then you will need to upgrade your outdrive to handle the extra hp at a cost of about 3-5k. Then you will need a different prop at a cost of about $700, but you'll want every last mph you can get with your upgrades, so you'll get the custom labbed prop for $1100.

My advice..........Its your first boat. Get used to it and the cost of ownership. Put gas in it and do regular maintenance and enjoy it.

dykstra 03-27-2019 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by griff (Post 4678913)
a 29 outlaw single runs in the low 50's mph range. It will take roughly a 20hp increase to gain each 1 mph in top speed. If you add 200hp, you will run low 60's. The cost of adding 200hp the right way to 496 will cost about 10k. Then you will need to upgrade your outdrive to handle the extra hp at a cost of about 3-5k. Then you will need a different prop at a cost of about $700, but you'll want every last mph you can get with your upgrades, so you'll get the custom labbed prop for $1100.

My advice..........its your first boat. Get used to it and the cost of ownership. Put gas in it and do regular maintenance and enjoy it.

truth ^^^

JaayTeee 03-27-2019 07:02 AM

Most of the single 29’s we’re sold by big thunder @LOTO, people bought them for the ride for the most part... I had 2 29 o/l’s, what I would suggest is that you leave it as is and if you like it, find one with the other engine, look for something with Mags or better, generally the’ll have k planes and external steering, you’ll then have something that will run in the high 60’s + and still be reliable

27daytona 03-27-2019 07:10 AM

Enjoy your new boat for what it is. You can always upgrade to a larger boat with the power and drives to fit your need for additional speed. The 29 Baja is a nice ride. Have fun and be safe.

thirdchildhood 03-27-2019 08:17 AM

Welcome to the addiction!

erik1976 03-27-2019 09:01 AM

You have gotten some really good advice here from some guys who have been on this site and doing this forever. I agree, run it for a year and then decide what to do. I have had everything from a 14' aluminum to a 36 cat with 1100 blower motors including a 25 Outlaw with a 496 (great boat), enjoy your first summer of boating, hopefully trouble free.

Erik

BajaFresh 04-04-2019 08:55 PM

I haven't been on this site for quite a while now but just revisited and will share my thoughts that echo most others here.

I had a 29 Outlaw for many years (twin 7.4's) and it was a wonderful boat. Ran about 65, was extremely reliable and fairly economical especially compared to the Cigs, Fountains, Formulas, etc of friends that I used to run with.

With a single, it is never going to be a fast boat so just enjoy it for what it is. Save your money for your next boat (believe me, there will be a next one).

ar300johnson 04-05-2019 01:33 AM

Everyone is giving you good advice. It will take a lot of money to run 70 in that boat. My suggestion is to run your boat and get familiar with rough water, wind ,and the other boaters. A lot of boaters don’t know the “rules of the road”, especially those who only boat on holiday weekends. You will have a lot to learn and you need experience before you start running a fast boat. Enjoy your current boat and if you still want to go faster, then get ready to open your checkbook. Speed costs a lot of money. The faster you go the more it costs. Your maintenance costs will increase greatly. Speed is measured in cubic dollars. I want to warn you that seemingly small modifications usually lead to more modifications and more costs. Have fun and welcome to our crazy addiction.

Indy 04-05-2019 08:15 AM

Darr?