New Orleans to Jacksonville by boat questions >

New Orleans to Jacksonville by boat questions

Notices

New Orleans to Jacksonville by boat questions

Old 03-27-2019, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts
Default New Orleans to Jacksonville by boat questions

Looking at possibly doing a boat trip from New Orleans to Jacksonville or vice versa in a 35' go fast. What is the best time of year for the best water? We would want to do a few hundred miles each day & get hotel rooms each night. The truck & trailer would always be within a few hours. We would stay within sight of shore. Bounce around the Keys for a few days. Total trip is roughly 1050 miles. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Sweet trip, probably goes without saying, but early summer likely better than late summer due to hurricane season.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:07 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by lake p.a.l.
Looking at possibly doing a boat trip from New Orleans to Jacksonville or vice versa in a 35' go fast. What is the best time of year for the best water? We would want to do a few hundred miles each day & get hotel rooms each night. The truck & trailer would always be within a few hours. We would stay within sight of shore. Bounce around the Keys for a few days. Total trip is roughly 1050 miles. Thanks for any help.
you could do that trip in 2 day easy. 4ish hours to orange beach from new Orleans. also remember you have the inter coastal water way it will be slower but if it gets ruff out then its a option. early summer tends to be very windy. mid a late summer you have the typical every afternoon could rain summer pattern. I am shooting for june/july to run over to orange beach.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Fuel would be the hardest part. If you’re planning on running the gulf over the icw you’ll have to keep running into port for fuel. It would take a lot of planning. Get coastal explorer for your computer and sit down and plot your entire course out. Use your gps to determine marina locations. Some will be listed on the program but you’ll have to verify they have the fuel capability for you. Very possible and would be fun but do your due diligence early and have everything figured out. Know what ports you can run into if bad weather arises. It happens fast out here. One summer squall can easily have 40-50 knot winds. The entire time you’ll have to pay close attention to weather. Mid summer is best for lack of fronts and good calm days minus a squall.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The one hop you want to lose sight of land is Carrabelle -ish to Tampa. It's probably 200 miles straight shot... there is not much to see or do between St. Marks and the whole 'armpit' of florida anyway so you aren't losing anything in that regard... if anything it's likely safer because the ports in the 'armpit' tend to be local knowledge type places.

I'd probably go New Orleans to Pensacola or Destin, then on to Apalachacola or Carrabelle, then to Tampa, then Naples, then Key West, Key largo, up to Lauderdale, Port Canaveral, on to JAX. I'd plan on several bad weather days too...
Old 03-27-2019, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Hope you can make 200 miles without fuel. If not Cedar Key or Crystal River will have to be a gas stop. Homosassa is not a place you want to go into without knowing where you are going. Over on the Atlantic side just remember when running the outside you normally have to go 40 miles or so in between inlets, so if it gets nasty can't duck into a close inlet.

Not that 40 miles is that long.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:28 PM
Registered

Thanks guys, this is the exact info I'm looking for. We would have a 400+ mile range and would hope to cruise between 50-80mph when water & weather permits with the occasional runs up past 100. I'm a HUGE believer in planning & you can't be over prepared, especially on a trip like this. I did a solo boat run from the Mississippi river to Pittsburgh, PA in a 25' Eliminator Daytona big block in 2016.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Also let me add make sure you have an epirb and if not a boat mounted at least a handheld vhf. I’m also curious what 35 go fast has a 400 mile range?
Old 03-27-2019, 05:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Crude Intentions
Also let me add make sure you have an epirb and if not a boat mounted at least a handheld vhf. I’m also curious what 35 go fast has a 400 mile range?
Outboards
Old 03-27-2019, 06:54 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

That will be a great trip in early summer as suggested. I ran my Top Gun from Marco Island to New Orleans back in the mid 90's. Day 1 was Marco to St Pete's ( started late ); day 2 was St Pete's to Apalachacola with a fuel stop at Cedar Key before straight shotting the 135 miles across to Apalachacola; day 3 was Apalacha.... to Panama Beach and final leg was Panama Beach to New Orleans. Stayed in hotels every night as you are planning on doing. Plan it well as Crude intentions said. Enjoy and be safe.

Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.