Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
If you had to pick 5 poker runs or events... >

If you had to pick 5 poker runs or events...

Notices

If you had to pick 5 poker runs or events...

Old 03-27-2019, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts
Default If you had to pick 5 poker runs or events...

Trying to schedule the summer. Don’t want to do anything super early with a new boat and motors so unfortunately tickfaw is out. Registered for Norfolk this morning and Cumberland in September.

What other three should I add?

Jacksonville seems a lot smaller lately and thats that’s a long haul.

Thunder run I’ve heard is pretty strong.

Boyne seems mixed and how is dock situation?

Loto is bucket list list but is a 33 v bottom going to be fun? Went there 14 years ago without a boat and it looked ROUGH! I’m not sure if the no wake times have made it any better.

Located in Ohio, don’t mind driving, but don’t want to drive across the world for an ok event.

Havent paid aid a ton of attention to local things the last few years, don’t know if there are any going on?

edit- forgot I am planning to hit the toys tour in December to get out of the start of winter here and do that on the way to take the boat to lauderdale for the winter.

Last edited by tmmii; 03-27-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:55 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Boyne Thunder
1000 Islands
Poker Run for a Cure (Norfolk)
FPC Emerald Coast
FPC Key West
Old 03-27-2019, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Boyne
Old 03-28-2019, 05:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Before I offer my thoughts, what's your criteria for a great run? Is it the boats? The water you're running on? The people? The place you stay at?
Old 03-28-2019, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

5 for me....

Tickfaw
Loto
Jacksonville
Texas Outlaw
Key West
Old 03-28-2019, 10:45 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I've done the old the Jacksonville Poker Run; great area. I hear Greg's run has developed into a great event as well.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I would do the emerald coast run but not the fpc version. In my opinion poker runs are about charities and boating. Not lining one mans pocket with outrageous fees.

i would also like to hit the Jacksonville run. Wish it wasn’t same as cocoa races.
Anything on the Chesapeake bay is a good time. Lots of great boating there.

Last edited by Crude Intentions; 03-28-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

I have not attended the below Poker Runs, but always have wanted to try. The races (NJ, Englewood. FL), yes I go to races.

1. Key West Poker Run (obviously stay and watch the races)
2. 1000 Islands - the scenery is an attraction for me, past pictures of the Event are memorable
3.Anything New Jersey - a ride from Toms River to Atlantic City has always been a nice moment in the summertime (who is taking over now the NPPC is no more?), linked with the Atlantic City, NJ Offshore Powerboat Race
4. Englewood, FL Offshore World Championship - an event, great boats, great views, dry pits are spectator friendly, race-teams that are truly fan friendly.
5. Desert Storm - I have never been there
Add On:
6. Lake of the Ozarks - Poker Run and Shootout - never been there, looks awesome. The Shootout is what draws me, and all of the boats. Learning what works from each owner as to prop size, engine modifications, bottom-work, drive height, ect.

I read that you are in Ohio; from a towing and logistical plan of attack, the 1000 Island Poker Run, New Jersey, Chesapeake Bay (northern) Poker Run might be easier in regards to time spent towing, these are weekend events and to me would be easier to plan and attend. Key West is a big deal, at least to me, and Desert Storm would be a big deal to me, big time events, beautiful boats, lots of boats.

Whatever you decide, take some pictures, let us know how you liked it, I am interested in learning. Thanks

Stephen

Last edited by Smarty; 03-28-2019 at 05:21 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-28-2019, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 3,018 Likes on 987 Posts

Desert Storm (AZ.)
Tickfaw (LA.)
Shoot-out or Cig Run (LOTO)
1,000 Islands (NY)
Key West (FL)
Old 03-28-2019, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarty
I have not attended the below Poker Runs, but always have wanted to try. The races (NJ, Englewood. FL), yes I go to races.

1. Key West Poker Run (obviously stay and watch the races)
2. 1000 Islands - the scenery is an attraction for me, past pictures of the Event are memorable
3.Anything New Jersey - a ride from Toms River to Atlantic City has always been a nice moment in the summertime (who is taking over now the NPPC is no more?), linked with the Atlantic City, NJ Offshore Powerboat Race
4. Englewood, FL Offshore World Championship - an event, great boats, great views, dry pits are spectator friendly, race-teams that are truly fan friendly.
5. Desert Storm - I have never been there
Add On:
6. Lake of the Ozarks - Poker Run and Shootout - never been there, looks awesome. The Shootout is what draws me, and all of the boats. Learning what works from each owner as to prop size, engine modifications, bottom-work, drive height, ect.

I read that you are in Ohio; from a towing and logistical plan of attack, the 1000 Island Poker Run, New Jersey, Chesapeake Bay (northern) Poker Run might be easier in regards to time spent towing, these are weekend events and to me would be easier to plan and attend. Key West is a big deal, at least to me, and Desert Storm would be a big deal to me, big time events, beautiful boats, lots of boats.

Whatever you decide, take some pictures, let us know how you liked it, I am interested in learning. Thanks

Stephen
for Jersey events, Spartan Powerboat Club will be doing some events including an Atlantic City run as well as a few fun runs. They will be posting details in a week or so on their website: https://spartanpowerboatclub.com/events/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.