Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
When you trailer long distances what all do you bring? >

When you trailer long distances what all do you bring?

Notices

When you trailer long distances what all do you bring?

Old 04-10-2019, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
Anyone know where I can buy stainless boxes like this?

Redneck Trailer Supplies
Old 04-10-2019, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Your trailer knows you're looking for trouble when it sees you loading all this stuff up so chances are he'll call your bluff. Don't taunt your trailer. Leave all this stuff in the shop.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,029 Likes on 1,347 Posts

If it has ( . ) ( . ) or tires it'll give you trouble.........
Old 04-10-2019, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 493 Likes on 269 Posts

I go by the theory "if you have it you probably won't need it, if you don't have it you will definitely need it" so my truck is always loaded with enough tools and stuff to survive the apocalypse!
Old 04-10-2019, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts

I’ve always been in awe of people who never bring tools or spares. Like, how do you even leave the driveway like that? Yet they manage to not only survive but to reproduce some how! I suppose some folks don’t mind depending upon the kindness of strangers.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:20 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 790 Likes on 257 Posts

All the above and I included a bow strap after popping one coming home from Tickfaw in 2017.

The Impact Gun has been the best. I can change a spare like I'm a NASCAR pit guy now. LOL

I also built(from 2"x6") my own drive-on little ramp-chocks. Much easier than a jack in the right application.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:53 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

You are off to a good start.

Be sure to test your flat changing setup before you hit the road. Myco trailers have the torsion axles tilted up, as such you really can't use a bottle jack on them too easily. I had two boxes on my Myco, one filled almost completely with lengths of 2x6s so I could drive up on them to suspend a blown tire. Don't use pressure treated wood, as if your box ever gets wet, the salt makes a mess out of the box.
Ask me how I know that...

...Make sure the box is mounted HIGH on the trailer. You can't have it too high. I mounted mine too low, and flooded them a couple times on crappy ramps with water levels not optimal.

18+V impact from Dewalt or Ridgid tools.
Brake pads.
Spare hub and bearings (packed and ready to go makes it easy)
Grease gun (kept on top of 2x6s)
Tire chocks

Spray Wax of some type, which I used to coat the bow stop before putting boat back on trailer. Any marks left on boat are wax and wipe right off.

I am now running a Tire Minder Bluetooth TPMS on my Toy/Racecar Hauler and LOVE it. I had one for my Myco that I bought from another member that I never installed, but I should have. The technology is now way better than it was back then too.

Laser Pyrometer Temp Gun to check tires, brakes, bearings at every stop. (Tire Minder gives you tire pressure AND temperature which is sweet)

A strong 1-2" wide ratchet strap in case you need to need to strap up a spindle or axle and limp off the highway. A friend had a tire come apart and the steel belts wound around everything. He was on the side of the road for over a hour cutting steel belts with dykes before he could change the tire. Tying it up and getting off the road is much better.

And don't count on AAA RV+ membership. They focked me over a couple years back. They are supposed to send you TWO trucks if you break down, one for you and one for your RV/boat/whatever. I was towing a pontoon 4 hours one way and then back. My radiator cracked and it was impossible to find a replacement locally. They said the boat was too big, and refused to send a second truck for it.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 04-10-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:58 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
Anyone know where I can buy stainless boxes like this?

Those are "underbody" boxes for under a flatbed pickup or the like, mounted vertically in a cradle. (Look closely at the trailer.) That's actually a really, really smart setup.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 71 Posts

Here is what I keep on my trailer in the tool boxes for our cabin cruiser, which we trailer about 4-5,000 miles each summer:

- 12 volt 11,000 lb bottle jack
- 20 ton bottle jack
- (2) 20 ton jack stands
- Torque wrench
- grease/ grease gun
- Extra ratchet straps
- (2) spare tires mounted on spare hubs
- Extra oversize load signs/ flags
- Air compressor
- Dewalt 20V impact driver
- Road hazard triangles
- Tire chalks
- Full tool box (in engine bay of boat)

Last edited by PremierPOWER; 04-10-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are adding a toolbox or boxes you want them as high and far forward as possible to keep them out of the water as others mentioned BUT if too far forward you will impede your tow vehicle turning radius in reverse and end up damaging both your toolbox and rear bumper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.