Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
When you trailer long distances what all do you bring? >

When you trailer long distances what all do you bring?

Notices

When you trailer long distances what all do you bring?

Old 04-10-2019, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAT
If you are adding a toolbox or boxes you want them as high and far forward as possible to keep them out of the water as others mentioned BUT if too far forward you will impede your tow vehicle turning radius in reverse and end up damaging both your toolbox and rear bumper.
Uhh yeah, ask me how I know about that lol. The $800 tool box was perfectly fine, the bumper on my 450, not so much. It does only happen if I am damn near jack knifed, but I still know to keep an eye on it in the pano camera now. I wish there were a way to keep that outside backup sensor active while having a trailer on, as the backup sensors are disabled when a trailer is connected. The tool box on the other side is shorter, because of the bow access ladder.

I have had the corners of both boxes in the water on shallow grade ramps where I have to back further in, and have had no leaks. The seal on the door is very good and I siliconed up the holes while bolting the boxes on.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

PP- made a similar mistake thus me posting.
Don't intend on making it again.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:07 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER
Uhh yeah, ask me how I know about that lol. The $800 tool box was perfectly fine, the bumper on my 450, not so much. It does only happen if I am damn near jack knifed, but I still know to keep an eye on it in the pano camera now. I wish there were a way to keep that outside backup sensor active while having a trailer on, as the backup sensors are disabled when a trailer is connected. The tool box on the other side is shorter, because of the bow access ladder.

I have had the corners of both boxes in the water on shallow grade ramps where I have to back further in, and have had no leaks. The seal on the door is very good and I siliconed up the holes while bolting the boxes on.

I wonder if you can actually do that with the FORSCAN app for Andoid and an OBDII dongle. You'd have to look into it as it's an opensource tool. There are some good how-to write up out there though. Perhaps unplug all of them sans the outer two, and tell FORSCAN to leave it enabled.

I may have to try and do this with my new Ram. However, I have found I need proximity sensors on the mirrors, as I spend too much time watching the damn camera backing in the garage, and forget the mirrors are 47' wide.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

I hire Outlaw Boat Transport for long distance transport.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
I’ve always been in awe of people who never bring tools or spares. Like, how do you even leave the driveway like that? Yet they manage to not only survive but to reproduce some how! I suppose some folks don’t mind depending upon the kindness of strangers.
i was that for about 20 miles on last trip. Rental truck had a class 5 hitch. Didnt know until I went to put my hitch in.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
One of those point and click temp guns,,,,everytime you stop for gas, eat, piss, scratch your nutz etc... shoot the caps, hubs and treads. Its a good way to find a problem before it becomes one.
Also make sure you have the correct jack. I discoverd after one trip that the bottle jack I took was too tall to fit under the axle and too short to get the wheel off the ground when used on the beam.....
Yep, on my mind but not my list when posted here. Very cheap insurance.

Originally Posted by Griff
Along with a lot of stuff that others have mentioned, I carry a spare leaf spring and all the bolts to replace it. I've broken a couple of the rear ones.
The parts are only $35-40 and you can't just stop at the auto parts store and get one.
Had not thought of that. Will find out what my trailer has and get a spare! Great thought.

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
If it has ( . ) ( . ) or tires it'll give you trouble.........
You forgot props lol.

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
All the above and I included a bow strap after popping one coming home from Tickfaw in 2017.

The Impact Gun has been the best. I can change a spare like I'm a NASCAR pit guy now. LOL

I also built(from 2"x6") my own drive-on little ramp-chocks. Much easier than a jack in the right application.
Any chance you can post pictures or a video of these? I like the idea big time.

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
You are off to a good start.

Be sure to test your flat changing setup before you hit the road. Myco trailers have the torsion axles tilted up, as such you really can't use a bottle jack on them too easily. I had two boxes on my Myco, one filled almost completely with lengths of 2x6s so I could drive up on them to suspend a blown tire. Don't use pressure treated wood, as if your box ever gets wet, the salt makes a mess out of the box.
Ask me how I know that...

...Make sure the box is mounted HIGH on the trailer. You can't have it too high. I mounted mine too low, and flooded them a couple times on crappy ramps with water levels not optimal.

18+V impact from Dewalt or Ridgid tools.
Brake pads.
Spare hub and bearings (packed and ready to go makes it easy)
Grease gun (kept on top of 2x6s)
Tire chocks

Spray Wax of some type, which I used to coat the bow stop before putting boat back on trailer. Any marks left on boat are wax and wipe right off.

I am now running a Tire Minder Bluetooth TPMS on my Toy/Racecar Hauler and LOVE it. I had one for my Myco that I bought from another member that I never installed, but I should have. The technology is now way better than it was back then too.

Laser Pyrometer Temp Gun to check tires, brakes, bearings at every stop. (Tire Minder gives you tire pressure AND temperature which is sweet)

A strong 1-2" wide ratchet strap in case you need to need to strap up a spindle or axle and limp off the highway. A friend had a tire come apart and the steel belts wound around everything. He was on the side of the road for over a hour cutting steel belts with dykes before he could change the tire. Tying it up and getting off the road is much better.

And don't count on AAA RV+ membership. They focked me over a couple years back. They are supposed to send you TWO trucks if you break down, one for you and one for your RV/boat/whatever. I was towing a pontoon 4 hours one way and then back. My radiator cracked and it was impossible to find a replacement locally. They said the boat was too big, and refused to send a second truck for it.
had not thought of phone stuff for a trailer. Will look into!

Originally Posted by lucky strike
I hire Outlaw Boat Transport for long distance transport.

dude if I could have Jeff haul the boat around and fly in to every event I would!! I didn’t plan on buying a new boat this year or any of these events and still have a goal
of paying off the house this year so
will have to skimp when I can unfortunately. Hopefully I can just show up to places next year and have it in the water and cooler stocked.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:40 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 591 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar

I also built(from 2"x6") my own drive-on little ramp-chocks. Much easier than a jack in the right application.
These are the way to go. OR as Tyson showed me one time coming back from FLA to OK in PoDunk Ark at 4AM--
Pull up onto a CURB-
Old 04-11-2019, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Bring a 30 pack in case the packy is closed when you get there. Lol
Old 04-11-2019, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Everything Sydwayz said plus Spray 9 or quick detail spray to get any crap or spray off hull sides and........

DUCT TAPE!
Old 04-11-2019, 03:44 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinlan
These are the way to go. OR as Tyson showed me one time coming back from FLA to OK in PoDunk Ark at 4AM--
Pull up onto a CURB-
These are two that were in the trailer toolbox today. I have a few more of different sizes that I kept in my F650 but they are in the other garage.

They fit in front, behind or between the tires and I can drive on and lift the damaged wheel for easy swap. Plus they are extra chocks or tongue-jack platforms if needed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.