496 coolant in bilge after winter storage >

496 coolant in bilge after winter storage

Notices

496 coolant in bilge after winter storage

Old 04-11-2019, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 coolant in bilge after winter storage

I have a 2003 496 in my boat and I just had to get it out of winter storage. When pulling it out of the barn I noticed orange coolant coming from out of the drain plug. Once I got it home I opened the motor hatch and noticed the coolant reservoir was empty. I can’t see anywhere that the coolant was leaking from. But I did notice that the water pump had some orange stuff on top of it. I’m looking for some recommendations on where to start to see where the coolant is coming from.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the drain plugs they could have leaked
Old 04-11-2019, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

Probably water pump if it is original. Could be a loose hose clamp or hose, heat exchanger/ exchanger gasket- this must be changed every couple of years.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:46 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

grommets for the heat exchanger and or the water circ pump and or the hose to the water circ pump.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 124 Likes on 45 Posts

I had a similar experience the right after I bought my boat. Prepping for the first run of the year I noticed that the coolant tank was empty so I filled it up and about an hour later the coolant was on the driveway below the drive. Long story short there were small rocks on one side of the heat exchanger so when it was winterized there was water not anti-freeze in those tubes they cracked allowing the coolant to run out thru the exchanger down thru the water pump and out the pickups. If your plugs are out it would come out those and into your bilge.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:55 AM
BUP
Banned

but tech speaking if one only uses the air pump to drain their 496 thats is improper complete winterization. Even if the heat exchanger is plugged up it still can drain all the water out when drained properly. Just saying --

the air pump does not drain all the system fully anyways and at times being an open raw water system, those sides become scaled - sand - corrosion up that causes water restrictions and draining issues. Clearing and cleaning out the heat exchanger should be done every year because it part of the yearly maintenance. It is best to do at lay up
Old 04-12-2019, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

heat exchanger grommet(s) been there done that
don't even need to change it if all is well otherwise
they just shrink in the cold and loose seal.
grow back in the spring and seal fine
don't overthink it if there is no other indication of a problem
Old 04-12-2019, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Rippem
heat exchanger grommet(s) been there done that
don't even need to change it if all is well otherwise
they just shrink in the cold and loose seal.
grow back in the spring and seal fine
don't overthink it if there is no other indication of a problem
Same here. Merc had a bulletin out on the issue that involved loosening the hose clamps and slightly repositioning the heat exchanger if memory serves. Mine would always lose a few ounces of coolant every year regardless of how I positioned the heat exchanger or how tight or loose i had the hose clamps.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:27 PM
BUP
Banned

no matter of temps and your leaking AF whenever is not normal - the grommets need to be changed. When the stuff was new it does not do that period. That is not normal as the rubber / polymers in the grommets have been comped by father time just like a 16 year old tire stored in garage is not good anymore.

Canada and Alaska boaters would never have AF in their engines if this was normal -- leaking AF in the cold from rubber components shrinking and needing to swell back up when warm. That is a sign your gromments and or whatever causing a leak needs to be address and address with new seals / gromments or whatever.

Change the gromments out because on the water thats when they will completely let go and dump AF all over. - heat soak and cooling cycles from hot to cold also degrade rubber by products. They become hard and or dried out. Marine engines suffer the worst because they have no air hitting the engine plus condensation can happen in a tight sealed engine compartment making matters worse.

everything has a life span. 10 years for boat parts is about the overall average on many items

Last edited by BUP; 04-13-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Mine did it from day one. I was the original owner. I know Merc had a TSB out on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.