Notices

water in oil question

Old 04-15-2019, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts
Default water in oil question

I have a 2000 502 MPI that has water in the oil. The risers and manifolds look ok but are original with 153 hours on it. Compression test was good. I thought it was possibly just condensation from the winter. I changed the oil and ran the boat in the water for a hour to find the oil milky again. The motor was 100% winterized. Changed the oil again and re tested same result. Is the intake manifold a potential problem on this motor?
Old 04-15-2019, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Could be intake/intake gaskets. Did the motor come up to temp? I've seen stuck tstats do the same thing in colder weather/water.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:47 PM
Registered

Yes replaced the T-stat with new. Motor was running at 170 deg.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Is the oil filter full of sludge too? Personally, I’ve found milkshake from condensation doesn’t sludge up the filter so much.

Exhaust parts need need to be pressurized to find any issue but yours seem to be pretty low hours.

Pressure testing your oil coolers and even bypassing it for a run with fresh oil would be my next move.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

[QUOTE=TYPHOON;4682230 Is the intake manifold a potential problem on this motor?[/QUOTE]

I have seen it discussed here in the past that if you're in salt water and you're not FWC the intake manifolds can have a real problem . Something to do, I think , with salt deposits accumulating in parts of the manifold due to insufficient circulation in some areas.
Not saying that this is your problem though .
Old 04-15-2019, 05:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
Is the oil filter full of sludge too? Personally, I’ve found milkshake from condensation doesn’t sludge up the filter so much.

Exhaust parts need need to be pressurized to find any issue but yours seem to be pretty low hours.

Pressure testing your oil coolers and even bypassing it for a run with fresh oil would be my next move.
No I did not change the filter when I changed the oil the second time. I never pressurized stock manifolds but thinking its the same as a header?
Old 04-15-2019, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

My opinion is the intake gaskets. While you are in there and its not obvious the gaskets are bad, look in the lifter valley for rusty cracks. Hopefully just the gaskets
Old 04-15-2019, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
I have a 2000 502 MPI that has water in the oil. The risers and manifolds look ok but are original with 153 hours on it. Compression test was good. I thought it was possibly just condensation from the winter. I changed the oil and ran the boat in the water for a hour to find the oil milky again. The motor was 100% winterized. Changed the oil again and re tested same result. Is the intake manifold a potential problem on this motor?
Seems pretty strange after coming out of storage. Cold storage I presume. How was it winterized & by who?
Old 04-15-2019, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Intake gaskets or intake itself. The intake is probably corroded at the passages. Common issue in salt water. My intakes have been repaired because of this with less hours.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by drumerjb
Seems pretty strange after coming out of storage. Cold storage I presume. How was it winterized & by who?
We did at my shop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.