New to forum and getting back into boating >

New to forum and getting back into boating

Notices

New to forum and getting back into boating

Old 04-22-2019, 04:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum and getting back into boating

Hey guys, I’m Travis and new to the forum. I grew up on cabin cruisers and over the past 5 years I’ve had a couple cheap boats of my own just so I could go out on the water. I’ve taken a couple years off from boating but I’m hoping to get back into it this year and was looking to you guys for advice. I’ve always wanted to own a Chris craft xk19 but I’m pretty sure I lost my only opportunity to own a reasonably priced one two years ago (was in the middle of refinishing my house so I couldn’t buy it!).

That being said, I’m in the market for something else. I’d like to stay around 24’ or under and easy to trailer as I have no plans leaving the boat in the Hudson River since it’s so dirty. I really like the way the donzi classics look and it seems as though people love or hate them. I’ve got a couple for sale near me (Hudson Valley,NY), one being in exceptional condition. I love the looks and style of the Cigarette 20 but it’s nowhere near my budget. I’ve also found a 1990 24’ Banana boat but the lack of literature on them leaves me questioning what the boat is worth. If anyone has any suggestions as to a good boat for my family I would appreciate it. I don’t really want to spend more than $13k if possible. I realize it’s a low budget but I have to start somewhere!

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-22-2019, 06:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

Welcome to OSO. Plenty of knowledgeable people on this site.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Take a look at the 24 Superboat. Finding one might be tough, but you are in the right area, most of them are in NY, NJ, CT.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

I have read very little on banana boats but never read anything officially bad on them ! I would not rule them out !
good luck on the hunt !
Old 04-22-2019, 06:44 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Welcome, and good luck in your search.
Dean
Old 04-22-2019, 07:21 AM
Registered

Does anyone have any idea what a fair price is for the classics? The one is an 87 18’ with the OMC King Cobra 350, 775 Orginal hours and in very good condition and he’s asking $13,500. The other is a 90 22’ OMC King Cobra 460 rebuilt 4 years ago with a new interior last year and they’re asking $13,000. I personally like the colors better of the 18 and it’s obvious it was taken care of. Just not sure how to gauge the value of them based off what I’ve read
Old 04-22-2019, 10:51 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I don't think you want anything with a King Cobra outdrive. Parts are non-existent.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

My only advice would be to buy a boat that you can go boating with right away. With your budget, don't get caught in the trap of a project, because that could easily double or triple what you will need to spend to go boating. A lot of us have been there, and it's not a pleasant way to get into boating. Looks like you have some solid experience though, you know how much boating can cost.

Donzi, Cig, Banana, Pantera, Superboat, even Baja (good bang for the buck), all good brands.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:49 AM
Registered

I’ve read on here (before becoming a member) to stay away from the OMC product line because of the collapse in the early 2000’s. The only thing I’ll say in defense of that particular boat is that it is clean enough to eat off the engine/engine bay and I’ve never heard a boat fire so effortlessly and idle so smoothly. It is a very very very well taken care of boat. I just don’t know how long the life of it is...currently has 775 hours
Old 04-22-2019, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,043 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Trav91
I’ve read on here (before becoming a member) to stay away from the OMC product line because of the collapse in the early 2000’s. The only thing I’ll say in defense of that particular boat is that it is clean enough to eat off the engine/engine bay and I’ve never heard a boat fire so effortlessly and idle so smoothly. It is a very very very well taken care of boat. I just don’t know how long the life of it is...currently has 775 hours
if you could predict the future you wouldn't be buying a boat..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.