Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How does West Marine stay in business? >

How does West Marine stay in business?

Notices

How does West Marine stay in business?

Old 05-02-2019, 02:03 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts

WM quoted me a anchor light and base for $400!!. Seems ridiculous, but it's a special order item that Perko produces on demand only and so far I haven't found any other Perko distributors that will even give me a quote.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know if this is only in Florida, but the WM in NMB price matches with items on the internet. Smart move because the stores are usually empty. I have bought a dozen items from WM that I would otherwise just have bought on line for a significant savings. I take a copy of the online ad with me and they match the price, no questions asked...….GO!
Old 05-02-2019, 02:58 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

my 2 cents.....
i think WM is over priced.
i online order 99.9 % of my stuff ONLINE

i can order stuff from summit ,,oil,,oil filters , plugs,,,,etc,,,etc,,,,most of the time i get the parts THE NEXT DAY!!!!!

NOT LIKE THE 2 WEEK WAIT from CP Performance....

but i still order most everything...

out............................
Old 05-02-2019, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the above. Yep WM prices are high but they are there when you need something fast. But I still buy all my outboard oil from Academy.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:20 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I'll patronize the institutions that serve my interests even if I pay more...to a reasonable amount. I've always felt that way, too many places I patronized have gone by the wayside because so many were shopping bottom line and I get it, it's hard to make a buck and you don't want to part with more than you have to. West Marine will get my business for the most part.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:34 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by flashgordon
my 2 cents.....
i think WM is over priced.
i online order 99.9 % of my stuff ONLINE

i can order stuff from summit ,,oil,,oil filters , plugs,,,,etc,,,etc,,,,most of the time i get the parts THE NEXT DAY!!!!!

NOT LIKE THE 2 WEEK WAIT from CP Performance....

but i still order most everything...

out............................
But then I would have to ask since you posted 99 percent of all your buying is online. Buying that much from amazon and online shopping you never consider buying off a real marine dealer . a real marine business whom paid all the fees to do business in your surrounding towns and pays taxes - hires employees - helps keeps the economy rolling for the town you live in and prob does many local things as pays for boat shows, on the water demos and advertising inwhich hires more people to keep America rolling within the local towns .

NOT dogging you but thank goodness everyone whom owns a boat does not buy like this. Boat dealerships and Marine biz would never survive

When buying, how many of those online stores that you buy from are up here HELPING OUT BOATERS in their spare time and for free ? . Any of these have a marine tech support ?

Also to report Summit Racing will NOT warranty nor even SELL YOU a NON marine approved USCG part if they know its going on a boat. I know this for a fact as I have Summit Racing 6 miles away from me and asked this exact question in person to the store personal and management.

Want to ask, how about the people who support this site - you would not buy from them either. ? Why not ?

Can I ask what you do for living ? and or what company do you work for ?

Last edited by BUP; 05-02-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:45 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
I'll patronize the institutions that serve my interests even if I pay more...to a reasonable amount. I've always felt that way, too many places I patronized have gone by the wayside because so many were shopping bottom line and I get it, it's hard to make a buck and you don't want to part with more than you have to. West Marine will get my business for the most part.
Indy --- You have posted somewhat the exact words before. It makes total sense to me. Always like the guys and boaters who think this way instead of the freaking price shoppers whom waste about a bare min of 4 hours per day everyday of MY TIME and then have the ba lls to say - your too high because online at china town its 40 dollars cheaper.

I will go out of my way however with boaters who support the industry and buy within the industry from real boat places.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 4,313 Likes on 1,241 Posts

All the West marine stores have closed in my rea .. so the answer is they don`t. I think there`s one left in $hitcago.

I try to support local businesses but when Livorsi charges me $20 to send an envelope a few towns over I say **** em. I`ll get stuff on Amazon.
Good luck with your triple what it should be shipping.
Seems all the others marine places do the same (CP, etc)
so I only use them as a last resort. to me it`s the principle .

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 05-02-2019 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:33 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Indy --- You have posted somewhat the exact words before. It makes total sense to me. Always like the guys and boaters who think this way instead of the freaking price shoppers whom waste about a bare min of 4 hours per day everyday of MY TIME and then have the ba lls to say - your too high because online at china town its 40 dollars cheaper.

I will go out of my way however with boaters who support the industry and buy within the industry from real boat places.
My cousin owns a bike shop in the DC area, it's not uncommon for people to go in his store, try out some stuff, take a picture, price shop it and get it online. Bullsh!t. Then they bring their sh!tty POS online bikes to him to fix. Don't get me wrong, I use Amazon too, but whenever I can I support those institutions that support me. And I'm not some rich b!tch, I work my ass off in construction and still haven't saved up enough for my next boat yet so I know the value of a hard earned buck, but it's just the way I roll.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

I have now started going back to West Marine back now that they Price Match amazon and other online stores. My marina has a nice little store in it and is good for bottom paint Poly, gel and West Systems and obscure exhaust gaskets. I do the majority of my boat related purchases online if plan ahead. I try to avoid dealers unless it is something that I need immediately.

ICDEDPPL, don't get me started on the $35 sender that I bought from CP and was charged $28 to ship. I have not ordered from there since and it will be a miracle if I ever do again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.