Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How does West Marine stay in business? >

How does West Marine stay in business?

Notices

How does West Marine stay in business?

Old 05-02-2019, 02:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb How does West Marine stay in business?

like many here, I have physically walked into a WM store and bought a few items. After doing a couple laps around the entire place, it was nice to see “all stuff boating” in one location, but I was shocked at the prices....feeling sorry that I was the only customer in the store and that staff was very helpful in their sincere asking if I needed any help, I bought a few small items, including some very over priced Collinite 925.

i am a member of their club, and receive their emails constantly. This morning I received another stating 30% off Marine batteries. Like any boat owner, 30% deserves a look at least. The 30% off price ended up at $100+ for a group 24 starting battery....wtf? I just purchased (2) Group 27 DP batteries at Menard’s for $80/each...plus a mail,in rebate for another 11% rebate. It seems to me that West Marine is just way out of the ballpark on pricing in just about anything...others’ thoughts, Experiences? It’s nice to walk into a place and see and feel stuff...old school I know, but I prefer it that way. Even on-line, WM prices are way over the top when compared to identical items. Has anyone pushed the “price match” upon them? Is it worth it?

you can’t beat the Velcro rope wrappers though for $.99 each....tough to stay in business selling those all day..

On a side note, we just had “Ice Out” here in HELL....let the games begin!
Old 05-02-2019, 05:59 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Kind of an odd first post. I had thought about starting a thread about Menards having such a good deal on batteries.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Agreed, WM is over priced. You might find a few good deals once in awhile.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Batteries are not batteries. While I completely agree with you that West Marine's prices are out of touch with reality, their branded products are typically an OK value. Back to batteries, that Menards battery is most likely the cheapest battery that can be found, West Marine batteries are typically very high quality. Pick up your Menards battery and then go pick up the West Marine battery. I'm willing to bet that West Marine battery weighs more. That extra weight means more lead, more lead means a better battery. I've got Northstar AGM batteries in my boat, and they are $400 per battery, each weigh over 80 pounds, and they have a 4 year non-prorated warranty. You get what you pay for in batteries, and $100 for a QUALITY wet cell group 24 battery is the going price.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

When I lived in Atlanta I never shopped at WM but down here, I always shop at WM. Your stores may not be high volume, but the stores down here are pretty busy. Whenever I go in my local store it is always busy. I think their higher volume stores have better deals and more inventory. I use port supply and the prices are pretty good.

Walk in to the Ft Lauderdale West Marine superstore and you will understand why they are still in business. Its like a boat candy store.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prices are high but they have a brick and motar footprint everywhere there is a sizeable body of water. Our Walmart has some basic attwood boat stuff you may need in a bind for a small boat or center console but when you need something particular and you want it now to get on the water the only answer is West Marine. I'm in South Florida there are one every 15 miles on US 1. In the great lakes, they are nearby as well, expensive but useful.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:00 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Basically its one stop shopping and some of the sales persons do have a bit a boat education. I say some education inwhich is better than none. Basically I have ever bought from them was maybe some Racor filters and some ropes cause I was out of stock and needed it that day. I do not carry ropes - skis - life jackets - fenders and so on anymore cause you never sell that stuff like in the past. Total waste of time to have that kind of stock for a boat dealership that sells boats and provides service work.

Also alot of west marine business is the guy on the way to the lake or ocean that needs that last minute boat thing or oil or whatever.

And many times if its something I do not have or can not get in hurry for whomever - my reply to that person asking is - have you tried WEST MARINE or Bass Pro ?

Last edited by BUP; 05-02-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:03 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
When I lived in Atlanta I never shopped at WM but down here, I always shop at WM. Your stores may not be high volume, but the stores down here are pretty busy. Whenever I go in my local store it is always busy. I think their higher volume stores have better deals and more inventory. I use port supply and the prices are pretty good.
Walk in to the Ft Lauderdale West Marine superstore and you will understand why they are still in business. Its like a boat candy store.
Port Supply how did you get that ? Here 20 years ago I had to show my Boat business LIC or one can not get that end of pricing thru West Marine.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

The one here in the SF Bay Area is geared more for the blow boaters and fishermen, but it is handy to have around for the marine specific chemical products like glue etc. I bought one of their batteries (on the way to the water) and the thing has been a beast. 95% of what’s in the store I have zero interest in, but I’m thankful for the 5% that I do need.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:36 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Atleast you guys have a marine store you can drive to.

Last edited by SB; 05-02-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.