How does West Marine stay in business? >

How does West Marine stay in business?

Notices

How does West Marine stay in business?

Old 05-02-2019, 09:44 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I hear everyone but the deal with marine industry is if OEM dealerships are not supported by boaters then all this marine stuff from A to Z keeps going up in pricing and some of it will go away especially for the yesteryear parts. A good example of this is the early 496 some of those parts are long gone already. The manus rely on the dealers so much to help with profitability. The dealers sell everything for the OEMs to keep it all alive.

The current outboard offerings and the current Mercruisers are design that the owners have to buy OEM parts. Not too much away around that for the current boat owners. The days of Summit Racing shopping for any current Brunswick owned motors are gone. Totally gone. Even some of the spark plug offerings will be hard to get except at a OEM dealer.

Boaters age and so are their boats. Down the road it will be hard to justify for many spending in the thousands to keep a 40 year boat on the water without updating hugely. IMO this is why as it seems the marine manus are slimming down parts stock for older boats in hopes they will buy brand new. New outboard sales are on fire even for repowers many are buying brand new. I/Os are at their lowest sales in history.

Will add some food for thought thou --- Bravos and Bravo parts are prob at an all time highest ever for sales. Wonder why that is ? Cause you can not go to the auto parts store or summit buy up for bravo nor its internals. The manu has to make up some where for lost profits. Bravo s, transom assemblies and engine couplers. And not cheap to buy. Jeez

Last edited by BUP; 05-03-2019 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:44 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

The nice thing about big blocks is very things are proprietary. I do use west marine at times. I use the local dealer for proprietary stuff I need now. Online for some stuff. West marine did save me as I found a shallow spot and smoked both water pumps. Buddy pulled me to his house. Ran up to west marine. Grabbed 2 new impellers/housings and was back boating again. Now I have the spares on the boat. Lol. They’re prices are astronomical. I have an ace hardware right next door so I price shop between the 2 for certain things. I also have a small locally owned marine store I get stuff at.

for the record mercs prices are stupid. Even for non proprietary items. You’d think if they were competitive with pricing they’d sell more stuff increasing profit rather than everyone hunting all over so they aren’t gouged.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 131 Likes on 54 Posts

West marine has great batteries, but they are $$$

i have a local marine supply store that is much cheaper than west marine, but still about 10 to 15% more than online - but I buy there anyways because when you need it TODAY the internet is useless.

i have tried to buy from CP or Teague but their prices are insane and shipping is even more, I always bail out and order it elsewhere
Old 05-03-2019, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 62 Posts

As said in early post set up port supply account! WM whole sale division
Old 05-03-2019, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Will add some food for thought thou --- Bravos and Bravo parts are prob at an all time highest ever for sales. Wonder why that is ? Cause you can not go to the auto parts store or summit buy up for bravo nor its internals.
And here I was thinking it was because they're PsOS built to barely make it through warranty ! !
Old 05-03-2019, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
I'll patronize the institutions that serve my interests even if I pay more...to a reasonable amount. I've always felt that way, too many places I patronized have gone by the wayside because so many were shopping bottom line and I get it, it's hard to make a buck and you don't want to part with more than you have to. West Marine will get my business for the most part.
Same here. I even try using Oreilys for car parts just to keep that branch open. Of course I find my own part numbers so that I don’t have a brain aneurysm while they learn what a water pump is.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Same way companies like Acadamy stay in business. If you don't have time to order something on Amazon for less money then you go to West Marine and get what you need to get on the water.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster

I even try using Oreilys for car parts just to keep that branch open. Of course I find my own part numbers so that I don’t have a brain aneurysm while they learn what a water pump is.

Hahaha, I went to get brake pads for my trailer last week. Manufacturer gives a Bendix/reference number for cross reference. Gave that to the counter guy and he was LOST.

Me- Hey, hows it going. Need a set of pads, MKD289 should be the part number.

Him- What’s it going on?

Me- A 2004 trailer with Kodiak disc brakes.

Him- we don’t sell trailer brakes.

Me- right, but you do sell brake pads, and if you punch in MKD289 into that computer, I’ll buy a set.

Him- I can’t find anything for a Kodiak. You sure it’s Kodiak?

Me- Try MKD289 in the upper left corner.

Him- I need to know what kind of car, I think.

Me- [Googling reference chart] Try a 1982 Cavalier, front pads.

Him- That car’s older than me, no way we have pads for that, I don’t think there are any even on the road....wait..... yeah, there it is.... MKD289 is a cross reference, not our part number..... weird, says we have 5 in stock....

And that, my friends, is 5 minutes of my life and 7 IQ points I’ll never get back. I’m trying to support the local brick and mortars, but they’re making it difficult. I can drive to, spend time in, and get frustrated at the store, or I can punch 6 digits into my phone and have EXACTLY what I need in 48 hours. 25 years ago it was a safe assumption to say the parts guy at the local place knew more than me. Today, notsomuch, as many weren’t even around 25 years ago, and I find myself wondering how some of them continue to breathe unassisted after they fall asleep at night.

Last edited by Speedracer29; 05-03-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 431 Likes on 192 Posts

You can thank Automation and lower wages for poor service in any tech related field (yes, car parts are tech related)

I had a great experience the other day at NAPA, but that was a car guy who was into the industry. Very prevalent in the old days, not so much in today's world.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by frickstyle
You can thank Automation and lower wages for poor service in any tech related field (yes, car parts are tech related).

I blame it on me becoming a crotchety old man with an ever declining tolerance for bullchit, but your explanation sounds better, so thank you.
.... And NAPA generally is the best for quality of staff and parts. Unfortunately, I don’t have one nearby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.