Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How does West Marine stay in business? >

How does West Marine stay in business?

Notices

How does West Marine stay in business?

Old 05-04-2019, 11:28 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

My local west marine employment was filled with retired cruiser people who would boat on Lake Erie for the weekend. They knew it all and I was scum.

Anyone who talks down to me or hangs up the phone on me before our conversation is complete is dead to me in my book. My local one closing had me laughing my a** off.

Its sad because it is such a simple business model with no immediate competition but my local store drove off sales like there where gonnorhea.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I buy all my stuff online nowadays... I wish the best for West Marine, they've been around forever, but retail stores have been in trouble for some time now. With that being said, I find decent deals on their site from time to time.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Since batteries are part of this thread try the Kirkland house brand at Costco.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:53 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 939 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Since batteries are part of this thread try the Kirkland house brand at Costco.
I wouldn't....my local Costco only has interstate marine batteries now...they are a special deal only for Costco...but you wouldn't know it by looking at the battery itself as its not labeled Kirkland or Costco anywhere. Anyway they only carry a 1yr warranty with no prorating of any kind. I bought one for my boat the year before in the fall just as i got my boat all put together and i wanted to water test before putting it away for winter. Kept the battery inside the house and threw it on a trickle charger at the end of each month over night....only got to use the boat maybe a dozen times during the next summer....come fall i go to winterize the boat and battery's dead. The battery was actually disconnected from the boat cause i was working on something like two weeks prior...go to Costco to see if i can get a replacement and was told i was two weeks past purchase date! Wouldn't do a thing for me, even after talking to the store manager. Took it to an interstate dealer to see if they can do anything for it.....they knew it was a Costco deal from the serial number on the side...all they could do was throw it on their heavy duty charger....lucky for me it took the charge and seems to be ok right now but i will see in a bout a week when i go get the boat and install it back in there if its any good.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!