Never knew this boat existed

Notices

Never knew this boat existed

Old 05-09-2019, 11:15 PM
Registered

Received 638 Likes on 295 Posts
Default Jim Wynne R.I.P.

Originally Posted by madbouyz
Lars, you're a treasure trove of info. I just wish I had the foresight to keep all of my stuff from back in the day when I was getting started.
For us Scandinavians, Jim Wynne has a special place in our hearts. He was instrumental to both Volvo Penta and Danish boat manufacturer Botved Boats' Coronet brand's success. Since Wynne also did a lot of racing, many of us that loved boats while growing up over there in the '60s and '70s read everything we could get our hands on about Wynne, Aronow and Bertram. Naturally after coming across the pond 35 years ago the quest to keep discovering the performance boating history for myself has continued. Since I don't like to hoard stuff I've from time to time given away most of my boating magazines, but I got a select few books and Nautical Quarterly that will most likely stay with me for a little longer. The internet is such a library in itself, that it's difficult to justify piling up stuff. I remembered the story about Wynne heading to Cobalt from quite a ways back, and now all I had to do was hit google "Cobalt Boats" and "Jim Wynne" and both magazines' and Cobalt Boats' own brochures telling of the story popped up online. Sure makes life easy for an inquiring mind.

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
Gorgeous.
Runs good too.

Wow, You've run one of these cool 17 or 19 footers?

Photos, courtesy of the Coronet Yacht Club, depicting(left to right), Dane Ole Botved, Swede Sven-Erik Örjangård, and Jim Wynne before the trip and during, while refueling on their 1958 crossing of the Atlantic from Gothenburg to New York in a twin OMC powered Coronet 22 Explorer fiberglass boat by Botved Boats.

Last edited by larslindroth; 05-09-2019 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:51 AM
Registered

Received 1,832 Likes on 717 Posts

Lars, my comment was in re to the one for sale where the owner reported s top speed of I believe, 65.

Has been some brilliant people involved in our sport/hobby.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:51 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

And another even lesser known one it seems , lars ....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312331276693?ul_noapp=true (hope that link works)

This was my pop's 2nd boat back in the day. My best friend's dad got the 19 footer at the same time. To this day they are still amongst the best performing boats that I've been on.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:52 PM
Registered

Default Jim Wynne designed Crestliner boats.

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
Lars, my comment was in re to the one for sale where the owner reported s top speed of I believe, 65.

Has been some brilliant people involved in our sport/hobby.
Yes, that top speed might be questionable, but all I care about as usual is solid seaworthiness and I bet those little Wynne-hulls, for that era, surely delivered.

Originally Posted by madbouyz
And another even lesser known one it seems , lars ....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312331276693?ul_noapp=true (hope that link works)

This was my pop's 2nd boat back in the day. My best friend's dad got the 19 footer at the same time. To this day they are still amongst the best performing boats that I've been on.
Wow, a Crestliner Crusader 23! When the dollar tanked in '73/'74, we got a few shipments of neat American boat brands to Sweden, we normally would not see, and the Crestliner Crusader models were very well received. I remember liking the Hardtop version a lot, since I had seen a couple of Bertram 25s in Hardtop configuration and was hooked on those.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:28 AM
Platinum Member

lars , that one is virtually identical to pop's old one . Color and hardtop ! No swim platform though. I did some heavy negotiations with the prez of the company to have the 2x165 Mercs switched out for 170 Volvos , something that was not on the option list and was a first for them. Would have been a bit faster with the Mercs though. They were beautiful hulls . Nary a sharp line on them anywhere .
Old 05-11-2019, 03:59 PM
Registered

So here's a typical Crestliner survivor in Sweden, even though she's probably had a tough life, she floats with pride. 1977 Crusader 2455.

Now here's a read Steve, in the 1973 June issue of Motor Boating & Sailing Magazine, that I stumbled upon while reading a little more about Crestliner boats. It starts with an ad, on page 61, introducing the new line of Crestliner boats and then, from page 62 all the way through page 75, there's an article so great that I would label it epic, "How to fall in love with a boat". If Gary put in a good day's work on the deck and pool, I bet the government would not be against getting tucked in tonight with a poem or two from this article and then go to sleep dreaming of the adventures awaiting in the Checkmate this summer.
Article link: https://books.google.com/books?id=qX...epage&q&f=true

Last edited by larslindroth; 05-11-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

There was a CM9 for sale here recently. Mid engine configuration with alpha outdrive.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:49 PM
Platinum Member

OK lars , in keeping with the title of this thread here's one for you .
Waay back once upon a time I had the literature from Cary Marine , I think it was probably late 60's . They didn't make many models back then and what they did do I believe were their versions of designs given to them by DA due to his close relationship with Elton . At that point in time Elton Cary was virtually the go to fiberglass man for Don and he built fantastic boats. One of his better known models was based on the Donzi 28 which he did an amazing job of turning it into a dual console open fisher type with twin straight inboards.
The mystery model was a 27 or 28 footer that I had the leaflet on. From what I remember it was Elton's version of the Mag 27 sport but here's the fascinating part. It was powered by 2 427's that were hooked up in tandem to a single inboard prop . With the weight distribution being different from the twin I/O powered Mag 27 it appeared that he was able to cut the freeboard down and the boat had a really low and more level profile , but it certainly resembled a Mag 27 sport.
I've never , ever seen or heard about one in real life though . Anywhere . Do you know anything about the boat I'm referring to ? I'd love to see an actual photo of one if any were made.
If anyone thinks the Mag 27 sport is an icon (and it is) this Cary was even more off the charts !
Old 05-15-2019, 10:15 PM
Registered

Default Cary 26?

The boat you must be referring to is the Cigarette 28 derived Cary 26. It was basically a Cig 28 cut-down, but I'm sure you know this model. Brownie had the demo with a 482 in it, but most came with a Daytona 427. They were v-drive boats and no were made with a tandem set-up to my knowledge. Built 1969/71. Somebody mentioned once that they had seen specs in a brochure with a tandem option, but so far no proof. Elton Cary's son James used to run a great historical site about Cary Marine, but there was nothing on there about such a boat either. Can't wait 'till You figure out which model it is.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:12 AM
Platinum Member

Yep , I was sure that if anyone had anything on this boat it would have been you .
The 2nd last picture is what I recall having way back , and the spec sheet above looks familiar as well. The other color photos I've not seen before though.
I'm sure I recall the 2x427 in tandem option and at least you say that someone else might have heard of it as well , but how on earth would they have configured the boat if it was possible ? Maybe a bench seat deck ?
It sure was a pretty boat though . Thanks again . .

Last edited by madbouyz; 05-16-2019 at 01:03 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.