Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Never  knew this boat existed >

Never knew this boat existed

Notices

Never knew this boat existed

Old 05-17-2019, 12:15 AM
Registered

Received 632 Likes on 292 Posts
Default Two Cary 26 boats of maybe 5-6 made.

Since Allan Brown was the father of the truly successful tandem engine set-up, with some help of Andy Casale, in the Donzi 28 'Donzi Baby' he ran to victory in the 1967 Miami-Nassau race, he would have mentioned a possible tandem set-up in the Cary 26 a few years later. Instead, he had the rare potent 482 in his demo Cary 26. I guess only a handful Cary 26 were made, and the two I recall reading about is the oddball white one that was claimed to have been built in 1981 in Italy and made its way back to the U.S. Hardly a true story, but most likely an original Cary boat with a title forgery at one point. See the first small photo and two ads for it. The second boat is the blue metal-flake boat that was claimed to have been originally sold to a cousin of Don Aronow, Morris Rogak of Morton Grove, IL. The 3rd owner got the boat in the late '80s and was going to restore it, but was young and short of money and still had it as late as 2011 unrestored in pretty sad condition. Not sure if he finally finished a resto or sold the boat. His photos below, courtesy of postings on the Serious offshore site. The cool rumble seat in the bow and teak clad reverse transom gave them a uniquely elegant look.

Last edited by larslindroth; 05-17-2019 at 01:33 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 1,820 Likes on 712 Posts

Way cool stuff!
(Like button on fritz again)

Love the history and have fun imagining being young and involved back in the day when the mad scientists were at full chat.

This thread is motivating me to dig out my boxes of old magazines and start a thread w/some of the history.

I lost some of the collection due to a flooded basement and threw much of it out if it had no interest to me.

Interestingly, I thumbed threw a couple issues during our move a yr and half ago.

Two things jumped out.

An editorial written by Don A bashing the then, current state of affairs of offshore racing.
Basically calling them sissies for racing on rivers and protected harbors.
I had to double check the date on cover to confirm it wasnt written today!

Second was an advertisement for a BMW outdrive.
Whos heard of that, let alone seen one?

Part of my collection came from my dad and included Rudder, and Boating issues dating back to I think, ‘63.
None performance oriented but for occasional stories and adds.

He always saved the “boat show” issues which listed basic info on most models built.
Weight, power options etc.

One fun fact was finding the boat show issue listing my ‘1969 28’ Marinette which was my first cruiser.
I bought it in original, excellent condition and paid more for it than what it sold for new.
I redid/updated the interior and sold it for twice what it sold for new.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 05-17-2019 at 07:25 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:58 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Lars , thanks for more great photos ! So , that metal flake blue one is a Cary despite the Cig sticker ? And I figured that Brownie's name wold pop up somewhere seeing that his own Nova race boat had two engines in tandem .

2 O/b Sonic .. Yeah , I had tons of stuff from way back that unfortunately got tossed when I moved out of home. Had I kept it it only would be a mass of rotten , moldy paper by now . Actually someone out here a long time ago bought in one of those odd little English boats about 22' long with a pilot house like a tug boat dropped into it . It had a 4 cylinder diesel with the original BMW out drive . I'm pretty sure that the power train lasted for about 40 years before it was re-powered. I seem to recall that it resembled a Volvo 290 unit but even clunkier looking .
Old 06-05-2019, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 98 Likes on 47 Posts

1975 ish Crestliner Crusader 775
May have found it's final resting place.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 632 Likes on 292 Posts
Default Another of the original Cary 26 found?

Today I found something new out. Swedish Californian Per Stridsberg ran one of the rare Cary 26 at the Fifth Anuual Powerboat Magazine World Offshore Speed Trials in 1975. He had a Chevy 468" hooked up to the custom Casale V-drive. Mechanical issues caused the boat to record a slow speed. I will ask Per what color it was and its history. Noteworthy is its Cigarette logo.

Last edited by larslindroth; 04-17-2020 at 07:34 PM.