RWO Awarded Key West Contract, Adds Clearwater To Schedule

Notices

RWO Awarded Key West Contract, Adds Clearwater To Schedule

Old 05-07-2019, 07:24 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,225 Posts
Default RWO Awarded Key West Contract, Adds Clearwater To Schedule

Before finishing its 2019 season in Key West, Race World Offshore will produce events in Dunkirk, N.Y., and Clearwater, Fla., https://speedonthewater.com/in-the-n...er-to-schedule.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

So who is racing with RWO? It seems OPA was the obvious choice to have key west. rwo has canopy only so no open boats and it seems opa has more commitments for the other classes.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I’ve already seen a couple teams say they are out. Miss Geico being one. They are only racing the OPA circuit. This should get interesting. Ft. Myers has nationals for OPA.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:09 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

As the prop turns....

Anyways..... it would not surprise me at all if you see opa become involved........

Afterall they were united then split shortly before the bidding. So it went from a united RWO/OPA vs. SBI... A flip of the coin who got it. By separating, they increased the odds of taking it from SBI from 50% to 66%.............

Last edited by phragle; 05-08-2019 at 06:12 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 62 Posts

Clearwater nice what ever happened to the unite we race? Key West will be a distant memory sad!
Old 05-08-2019, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

I'm still in for KW in November. We'll see how this plays out between now and then.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

keywest politicians and the navy want boat racing gone,
all that work to rebuild that area ,
the music forum,
too many deaths in recent years puts a mark on the city as well.
and after last years debacle of draining oil and fuel in the sand on every single lot ,didn't help,
Old 05-08-2019, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 2,977 Likes on 983 Posts

Hate to say it but the poker run carries that event. I'd say it's the largest poker run in the world with 200ish registered boats and probably another 100+ unregistered boats that head down there. Thousands and thousands of people. Poker run brings in 6mil in revenue. Poker run village, sandbar run on Saturday, OSO / SOTW party on Thursday and the parade / street party (that could easily turn into a havasu(esq) street party with vendors and poker run boats). What was once the big draw in the 80's and early 90's (races) has now become a cool side show to the big event (poker run / location). RWO knows this, so does SBI and OPA, thus the reason they're all fighting for that weekend / slot. Don't kill the messenger here. It's been a long slow slide downward with all the in-fighting and fractioning of the professional sport, too big of egos, coupled with the popularity of racers turning into poker runners. I imagine RWO will pull it off just fine and the VAST majority of poker runners will keep on partying on Duval St., Keep on idling out to watch whatever race boats are on the course at whatever times they get out there and keep on having fun at a great location. Time marches on, things change and evolve. Evolve with them, or get passed on by.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:50 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

For those of you that have been around you know the OSO tag line was always "For love of the sport"

If OPA/RWO, and anyone else that races, had that mantra they would get over the BS and at least come together for this event, if not all events.

When I was racing all hell broke and OSS was formed. But even then the OSS and SBI groups got together for two events, Sarasota and Key West. Great racing and great events. Use this as a model of what could and should happen.

Last edited by Cash Bar; 05-09-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

I am hoping to see a merger of RWO & OPA sometime this season. have to keep some faith and hope some place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.