Looking for a certain boat...

Notices

Looking for a certain boat...

Old 05-28-2019, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a certain boat...

Hello all --

I've been reading this forum for a while now, and finally registered a profile today. I finally figured out that this forum is the crowd that's talking about the boat I'm searching for. Hopefully there are some here who can help to both expand and narrow down my options. Right now I own 5 boats ranging from a Checkmate Enticer to an old 25' Sea Ray Sundancer. I'm selling those 2, and 2 more, including my wife's favorite - our 1994 Glastron 2000 Cuddy. The boat I'm looking for would be a step up from that in size and performance.

Here are some of my criteria:
  • 22' - 27' range. Ideally 23' -24'.
  • Beam of 8' - 8'6"
  • 2500 - 4000 pounds with motor. The closer to 2500 the better.
  • 190 - 300 hp. Efficiency at cruise speed is more important than top speed.
  • Ideally it would be an efficient hull.
  • Either it comes with a head on the side of the cuddy with a door on it, or such a thing can be built without too much trouble.
  • Ideally $3000 - $6000 for a functional old boat. Might go higher for the right boat.
The Chris Craft Stinger 230 ticks most of those boxes, and I like that style of boat a lot. I've looked through hundreds of pictures, but I still haven't seen a picture of the cuddy that shows whether it has a doored head or not. Does anyone know?

In the process of searching, the 24 Banana boat has also caught my attention, but again -- very few pictures of the cuddy online. Does anyone have pics of the cuddy in that boat? From everything I've read, this boat might be ideal, but I don't know about the head.

Thanks in advance for your insights!
Grant

Last edited by Gdog; 05-28-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Go with the banana! Charlie should chime in on this!!!
Old 05-28-2019, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

pretty much nothing in the 23-24 go fast will have a closed head. They will almost be a porta potty under a cushion. You have to start encroaching on and get over 30+ for an enclosed head
Old 05-29-2019, 09:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Crude Intentions
pretty much nothing in the 23-24 go fast will have a closed head. They will almost be a porta potty under a cushion. You have to start encroaching on and get over 30+ for an enclosed head
Yah, that's been my observation too. But I've only been in this boating thing for 4 years now, and haven't seen as much as many on this forum have.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Not sure what you are looking for speed wise?
These boats are heavier than what you say you want , not very fast (about 50-55 mph) and I am partial to these brands but id look at:

Chaparral 215 SSi (cuddy with porti potti and sink in cockpit)
Chaparral 230SSi (open bow with side enclosed head/Porti potti. pump out head was an option)
Chaparral 235 SSi ( same boat but a cuddy and PP and sink in Cuddy)
If you want better rough water ride and little more speed (60-70 mph) look at:
Baja 232 or 252 Performance (cuddy's with PP)

My Boat, a 252 Islander so its an open bow version with two large front side compartments with doors/lights inside so I throw a PP in when I want too for Wifey and the kids.

Or the Baja 272 Islander is a huge 27' open bow that came with an enclosed side head/PP/sink. (Hard to find tho)

Like already stated , hard to find older Cuddy Boats with side heads under 30' , most just have PP under the V berth.
Chaparral was one of the first brands doing enclosed side heads in smaller runabout boats and the 230 was the smallest boat with this setup. They had a 23' Sunesta that had this also around the early 2000s but these are not cuddys.

Last edited by CT River Baja; 05-29-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:20 PM
Registered

Thanks for your ideas, CT. I probably should have been more specific in saying that this boat needs to be a Cuddy. Ultimately looking to sleep 4 by putting a tent over the whole back section, and possibly adding a rail to the sunbed area.

My strategy for a few years has been to buy boats in the Fall / Winter and sell them in the Spring / Summer, working my way up to boats that I really like. I want to keep 2 boats:
1) A bowrider with an outboard. This is my speed boat, and right now it's a Checkmate Pulse 186 with a 175 Merc. Once I get that motor running, I'll look to sell / trade for the 185 bowrider version.
2) A cuddy cabin boat. Although I prefer outboards, I've resigned myself to being ok with I/O's on this one.

For the CC boat I'm not too concerned about speed, just efficiency. If I get speed, then all the better. The hardest part about my criteria is the side head. We thought maybe we'd be ok with the 25' Sundancer as a compromise, but the more I think about it, the less I want to have all the bulk and maintenance of that boat. At least for now.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I think the Sea Ray 245 Weekender checks all your boxes.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:58 PM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Based on your specs a 24/7 boat like Banana, Superboat, Pantera etc., are definitely not what you want.

The side head is the tough nut to crack with small to midsize performance boats.

Check into a 26 Sonic. I think the 26 had the side head. The Sonic's up to 31', had the pullout center cushion that converts the cabin to a 4 person sleeper.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Check with Top Banana, I was speaking to him yesterday and he may be selling a 2008 Banana with new mercury verardo ... This is the boat... it was mine originally Charlie McCarthy's banana boat co -- Should You Buy A Banana If you are looking for pictures of the Banana check the Banana Boat section there are several of the interior posted.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

If you're overnighting with more than just yourself you want a side head or everyone has to wake up for someone to use the toilet in the middle of the cabin. Or on a day trip everyone has to leave the cabin for one's use. Side head was one of the reasons I made my purchase; however, it is out of your specs., sizewise.

Keith

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.