Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What's the easiest way to mount a trailer box?? >

What's the easiest way to mount a trailer box??

Notices

What's the easiest way to mount a trailer box??

Old 05-31-2019, 02:52 PM
Registered

Received 2,947 Likes on 978 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
No, I'm saying use aluminum plate instead of U bolts but basically used in the same way as the U bolts.
Then use the same plates inside the tool box. Kind of like the way engine mounts are mounted on stringers.
AH! Got it!!

Old 05-31-2019, 02:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
You definitely want to hold + support the toolbox from it's bottom. There are some L brackets out there for toolboxes. Here are some to get an idea:
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Acc...y_Toolbox.aspx

For an easier internet search use the term Brackets for Installing Aluminum Tool Box

Note, always install thin foam or rubber strips between metal brackets and aluminum trailer frame. I (and many people of coarse) have seen the devastating electrolysis effects of steel parts not being isolated from aluminum trailers. The kits should come with it, but should doesn't mean it will,

Photo from Etrailer.com DeeZee box and DeeZee mounting brackets

thanks...I like that.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,038 Likes on 1,352 Posts

You good on the tire carriers, I see you have one
Old 05-31-2019, 05:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
You good on the tire carriers, I see you have one
Yep. Though I still want to see if I can do that spare hub set-up like you have. I don't know how they're set up though.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
Yep. Though I still want to see if I can do that spare hub set-up like you have. I don't know how they're set up though.
go down to your local trailer supply and buy two spindles. Weld them to 2 uprights and you can mount your full spare brake/hubs to them.

that is how I set mine up and now have 2 full brake/hub set ups packed with grease and ready to mount. Came in handy after a center tire blow out on my last trip to Pensacola.

send me your number and I can text you some pix when I am at the boat tomorrow
Old 05-31-2019, 08:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jamontes

go down to your local trailer supply and buy two spindles. Weld them to 2 uprights and you can mount your full spare brake/hubs to them.

that is how I set mine up and now have 2 full brake/hub set ups packed with grease and ready to mount. Came in handy after a center tire blow out on my last trip to Pensacola.

send me your number and I can text you some pix when I am at the boat tomorrow
thats what speedy did. Came out super nice.

Old 05-31-2019, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That is exactly what I did.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:02 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

Couple thoughts.
DO NOT mount the trailer tool box too low. You want is as high as possible so when you are on the crappiest ramp and the 'wrong' tide or lake level, you don't flood your tool box. I mounted mine too low, and regretted it as such a few times. I mounted mine by bolting aluminum box tube under the aluminum frame of the trailer, and bolted the box to those tubes. Again, that was too low for the boxes I used. Taller boxes might have been better.

Two schools of thoughts on double spare tires.
1) I like the idea of having double spares, and I always carried two spares. Jeff Jassby had Myco put dual spares with full spindles on his NorTech trailer years back, that actually performed as additional guides to center the boat on the trailer IF needed in a strong wind or current. If such were mine, I would have had white vinyl covers over them, and used them for the exact same.

2) However, sometimes it's beneficial to stand on your spare tire on the trailer to access or reach the bow, grabbing a line, washing, trans-versing, whatever. If you have a spindle, the tire/wheel will spin and you can't stand on it. As such, there is merit to having the spares mounted to a fixed flat mount above the trailer. They can still act as guides mentioned above as well. And just keep a spare full ready to go spindle in a sealed bag in the trailer tool box (which is what I did, and never ever used).
Old 06-01-2019, 01:53 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

I saw this photo and always liked the set up.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:24 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 585 Likes on 269 Posts

Photo from Etrailer.com DeeZee box and DeeZee mounting brackets

[/QUOTE]
Mine is mounted on my Manning like this but with 2 small metal bars welded to bottom of trailer.
I would suggest turning it where the door is facing up. Mine gets water in it every time I dunk. Maybe if door is facing up as I saw one done before if would not get water in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.