Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Who's responsible for tree logs >

Who's responsible for tree logs

Notices

Who's responsible for tree logs

Old 06-03-2019, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Responsibility lies with you and your insurance company unfortunately.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

In the south, logs and trash are expected in the spring. When a river is above flood stage, river trash and logs, tree tops, and anything that else that floats are a big problem until the river levels fall. Until that occurs, the river will be full of trash. Area lakes have the same problem. When the water levels rise ,debris on the shore will float and get caught up with the current on rivers or the wind on lakes. Once the levels fall and the trash is caught on the shore, the water will be reasonably debris free. Normally, this usually happens in June and then the water is good until winter.

Boating in contaminated water requires good lookouts and slower than average boating speed. A little caution early makes for a much better summer.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by CooperS7777
This is 100% accurate. If the USCG and or Sheriffs Department spent all day chasing marine debris, THAT would be a huge waste of your tax dollars. USCG will put out a safety navigation broadcast on VHF 16, but unless its a piece of life saving equipment, navigation aid or another vessel they aren't going to bother going to even investigate.
No that would actually be a purposeful use of my taxpayer dollars as opposed to whatever the **** the USCG does all day patrolling the ****ing ILLINOIS RIVER. Stay on the look out for them ruskies and drug runners boys.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:51 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 62 Posts

if flood waters are what the cause is not looking good the next few days?
Old 06-04-2019, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Imagine hitting a huge metal container that fell off a cargo ship, they typically float flush with the water surface.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I was playing dodge the debris fields last weekend on LOTO. Only going to get worse the next few weeks.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:55 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Our rivers can get so bad after heavy rains/storms that I have made conscious decisions NOT to go boating because the debris is so bad for 3-5 days afterward. It's not often and usually in the spring when the rains are worst.....but it happens.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

I hit a log that I could not avoid at 80 mph with my Talon years ago. With a large vee or cat I would not suggest stopping until your at a safe haven or your destination. I knew there was major damage but I made it the 4 miles to my dock. The log knocked my Sportmaster almost completely of the midsection. Three studs out of 6 were holding it on the mid. It was 5k for a new case and gears. DNR on my lake will help remove debris if you notify them. I have stayed with debris until they showed up. I then secured a floating dock section with a rope and DNR hauled it to shore. I guess I'm lucky our DNR will assist in situation like this.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Storms come and then there is debris...logs, trash, etc...deal with it or don't boat....wanting or expecting the USCG or any other marine patrol affiliate to deal with it proves to me that those who expect it are just another reason why this country is so F'ed up....
Old 06-04-2019, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by badmonkey
Storms come and then there is debris...logs, trash, etc...deal with it or don't boat....wanting or expecting the USCG or any other marine patrol affiliate to deal with it proves to me that those who expect it are just another reason why this country is so F'ed up....
Id rather they ran 500 hovercraft up and down the rio grande and actually protected america from invasion rather than collecting revenue from pleasure boaters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.