Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
22' or so performance boats >

22' or so performance boats

Notices

22' or so performance boats

Old 06-12-2019, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I owned a Stingray 230SX. It was comparatively quick (stock 496- high 60’s), and a great looking boat. With that being said, there’s no way I’d want to run one in Lake Erie on a regular basis. They’re 20* deadrise and you WILL be going over the boat to tighten stuff up the first time the chop kicks up on Erie. Good for most days on inland lakes and select days on the Great Lakes.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 34 Posts

Id rule out a Donzi classic, with a baby, you need a cuddy cabin. Since you are after bang for the buck. I like the Pachanga idea. Out here in western Canada and the pacific northwest, they can be found for reasonable money. I looked at a Pachanga with new 454 for $15,000 CDN. I see them here, for between $10k to $15k CDN. Another boat built here in the pacific northwest is the Mirage Intruder. You can get a decent one for around $8k to $12k USD. Its a popular boat here on our little sea (ocean).
Old 06-12-2019, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 34 Posts

Here is some Mirage examples:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/b...907055158.html

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...906320433.html

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/b...906100437.html

Seattle in traffic is only 3hrs from me, always a few Mirages for sale there.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a Pachanga 22. I love it! It's not a feather so you're going to trade some speed but that weight also lets it hammer through some sloppy stuff that would have other 22's skipping like stones. They're a solid boat for sure. I've put it through some rough times in the 2+ years i've had it, and have had zero issues with things coming loose or falling apart. The cabin is obviously fairly small, but it really is functional for its size. I crawl down there and catch a nap now and then and with the vents open it passes a nice breeze so you don't roast. The full glass windshield makes it a little less "performance" looking but it's saved me from getting soaked a few times so far. I couldn't be happier with this boat so far. The only thing I can think of that I wish it had was an actual anchor locker up in the bow. It has an area for one if you wanted to cut it in, kind of......I keep the anchors in the floor storage and toss it over the side, then have to leap up over the glass to cleat it to the bow. Nor a big deal, but a locker would be a plus.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Padraig
Speed Junkie, where about are you located. You mention Erie Pa. If you are near there you may want to consider trailering down to Chautauqua Lake. A little more family friendly with a youngster.

As far as a 22/23 Velocity with a hot small block I too understand that they run great but never had the opportunity to run one.

Padraig
Ontario Canada. 45 mins from Port Dover/Turkey Point

Went over to Erie for corn roast or Erie Days and took my buddys 22 small cabin boat. Water kicked up Saturday night and Coast Gard shut everyone down from leaving Saturday night. Buddys brother and another offshore's came rolling in about an hr later as they crossed the lake in there 38's, one Scarab and the other a Fountain. LOL tried to follow them back MONDAY morning, but was like a popcorn popper, nope stay put.

Now I don't have a problem with these small boats I mentioned. As I doubt we'll cross the lake on one with the boy. But would like if something does start to blow up, I know I can safely get home. Like mentioned about the 22 Pachanga.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

The Pachanga is a decent boat. Watch out for the drive. Many of them came with a big block and an alpha drive. The 23 Regal Velocity with big block came with a Bravo and hydraulic steering standard.

Padraig
Old 06-12-2019, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

A 20 degree deadrise boat may be a better choice given the baby. Some of these shorter deep v performance boats don't ride well at slower speeds. You don't want to get a boat that sucks to drive at 20-30mph and have the wife bark at you for driving 50mph+ because its too fast with the baby on board. Then nobody will be happy with the boat.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:21 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Big block/alpha combos happened because the TRS was discontinued and bravo was a year late. Basically you’ll see that in 87. Maybe some 86 and some 88. 88 was the year bravo was introduced. After that all big blocks were bravo backed.

I could potentially be a year year off but it was to that effect.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You seem pretty set on the pachanga, and I agree it's a good looking boat. I think you would be impressed with the space the 223ls formula has. The cuddy is easy to get in and out of. I know of 2 in my area with the 454 mag and they both do 60. They hold 75 gallons of gas so you dont have to worry about long rides and running out. The cockpit is larger with the 8.5' beam and pretty spacious.

The reason I keep mentioning the formula is because I have a 3 week old son and the formula I have is grea . The wife can put him in the cabin if it gets cold and they are comfortable. I have space for all the extra stuff I need with the young kid. Also you could look into the 223SS which would give you a smaller cabin and more cockpit space.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
A 20 degree deadrise boat may be a better choice given the baby. Some of these shorter deep v performance boats don't ride well at slower speeds. You don't want to get a boat that sucks to drive at 20-30mph and have the wife bark at you for driving 50mph+ because its too fast with the baby on board. Then nobody will be happy with the boat.
YES very much so I agree. Waiting to hear back from a guy I know that both him and his brother had 25 Senza to. Big bigger then originally was thinking, but other reviews I have seen said they were a nice boat and rode some bigger water well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.