Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Has anyone tried putting clear bra/Xpel on boats with good results? >

Has anyone tried putting clear bra/Xpel on boats with good results?

Like Tree7Likes

Has anyone tried putting clear bra/Xpel on boats with good results?

Old 06-13-2019, 09:05 PM
Registered

Default Has anyone tried putting clear bra/Xpel on boats with good results?

i am wondering why the marine industry doesn't have more clear bra/3M/Xpel pain protections on boats, especially with the big money paint jobs. I would think it would help with scratches around the docs, rubbing marks when tied up. even if you have to replace the film once every few seasons, it is probably worth it vs fixing paint jobs which take weeks and cost thousands. It cant be any more slippery than a waxed boat, it helps reduce UV rays and fading, as well as protect against the negative affects of salt on paint/clear coat.

Last edited by jtlpoppi; 06-13-2019 at 09:09 PM. Reason: spelling error in title
Old 06-13-2019, 11:08 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

My Boat: 17' Speedliner Cat & O.P.B.

Originally Posted by jtlpoppi View Post
i am wondering why the marine industry doesn't have more clear bra/3M/Xpel pain protections on boats, especially with the big money paint jobs. I would think it would help with scratches around the docs, rubbing marks when tied up. even if you have to replace the film once every few seasons, it is probably worth it vs fixing paint jobs which take weeks and cost thousands. It cant be any more slippery than a waxed boat, it helps reduce UV rays and fading, as well as protect against the negative affects of salt on paint/clear coat.
Ping Rob Freeman aka offshordrillin. That’s his business.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:24 AM
Registered

I have thought the same thing.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by precisiondetails View Post
I have thought the same thing.
As long as boat paint has a strong enough binding between hull and paint. I would think it wouldnt take the paint off if the film were ever to be removed. Someone out there has to have tried it and had results, either good or bad.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boat: 32 DW

I have a 1993 Barefoot Mastercraft in the common red and white colors. There are several that color where I live so I had the red covered in silver wrap and Xpel put over it. The stuff works great with rubbing from fenders and everyday boating. It has its limits but the vinyl wrap would be useless without it. I use the boat in salt water which does not affect the Xpel which is in its second season of use.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:01 PM
Registered

Default Xpel

Originally Posted by jtlpoppi View Post
We couldn't agree more. We see the need and are making our way but aren't quite there yet. We have heard (as you can see below from NWfreerider) that is has been done. Contact a local XPEL installer nearest you and ask them if they'll install on your boat. Above the water we've seen more success. It's in the water (especially salt water) where it gets a bit tricky as far as how long we would suggest it last. BUT - it will help protect and will make it easier to clean.

Originally Posted by NWfreerider View Post
I have a 1993 Barefoot Mastercraft in the common red and white colors. There are several that color where I live so I had the red covered in silver wrap and Xpel put over it. The stuff works great with rubbing from fenders and everyday boating. It has its limits but the vinyl wrap would be useless without it. I use the boat in salt water which does not affect the Xpel which is in its second season of use.
Thank you for sharing!
jtlpoppi likes this.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:38 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boat: 00 Cig Tiger,74 Cig 20'

Originally Posted by Sydwayz View Post

Ping Rob Freeman aka offshordrillin. That’s his business.
I spoke with Justin today, In short film will have its uses on boats, I have done lots of custom dashes and protected them. as for hull sides, just because you can, doesnt mean you should. For my tiger for example, to do the complete side from rub rail down would be 42 feet of 48 inch film plus labor would be well over 2500 per side, then you have the lower edge that would be trimmed to the chine or above, the edge of the film running at speed would be the equivalent of pressure washing an edge and the film no matter how good the adhesive would eventually start lifting, if there is a puncture on the side and water keeps hitting it it will fill up like a balloon. secondly, even on a job like mine where i know the boat was striped and prepped properly, removing a full side after it gets used for a couple summers, the chances of paint or clear peeling raises astronomically. Every Ferrari client of mine signs a waiver against paint and clear coat peeling. get a crappy paint job like was done to me, even the tape was peeling clear off of it. The Xpel Fusion coating is a 9H hardness and will be all over my Tiger and my 20. use the film in the high traffic areas above the rub rail and you will do fine.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by NWfreerider View Post
do you have the entire sides of the boat done all the way to the bottom or an inch or so above it? Any issues with film peeling?
Old 06-17-2019, 02:11 PM
Registered

My Boat: '99 32 Active Thunder

I put some on my AT to protect where my wrap comes over top where people walk/could walk (its not non skid) towards the rear and its been fine for 2 years now.
Sydwayz likes this.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC View Post
I put some on my AT to protect where my wrap comes over top where people walk/could walk (its not non skid) towards the rear and its been fine for 2 years now.
do you have any pictures?

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser