Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Flapper took a chit. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/361641-flapper-took-chit.html)

RaggedEdge 07-05-2019 05:39 PM

Flapper took a chit.

Fired up the fresh 525's yesterday and one spit the internal flapper in the exhaust tip out on the ground. I have the F'n thing, question is can it be put back in?

Could one weld it back in? Is it welded in in the first place?

Teague has a replacement flapper that claims no welding required, anyone ever have to deal with this?

Dave3fl 07-05-2019 08:41 PM

I had one pop out of a stainless Marine tip. It was an old design and there was an updated one available so I ordered a set and had my guy weeks them in. Worked like a charm.

I haven't messed with the non welded ones.

phragle 07-05-2019 08:50 PM

Fapper??? what kind of websites have you been surfing???

SUPERSTITIOUS 07-05-2019 09:21 PM

I believe the rubber flapper is bolted by 2 bolts and a small retention plate at the top.. Check CP performance.

RaggedEdge 07-06-2019 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by phragle (Post 4695301)
Fapper??? what kind of websites have you been surfing???

My bad. Mean the FLAPPER.

RaggedEdge 07-06-2019 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by SUPERSTITIOUS (Post 4695303)
I believe the rubber flapper is bolted by 2 bolts and a small retention plate at the top.. Check CP performance.

Not that style, it looks just like the one on the Teague site. Split in the middle with a pin/rod thru that holds it in, somehow.

SFOcean 07-08-2019 04:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Could be Stainless Marine internal flappers?

RaggedEdge 07-08-2019 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by SFOcean (Post 4695558)
Could be Stainless Marine internal flappers?

Exactly like that. Cross shaft broke off where attached. Teague has something looking like it that they state is a no weld required fix. Have thought of having a local machine shop, used them before for other things, just weld it back in.

Picked the boat up yesterday from my engine guy, so now that I have it back I can look into the fix.

Thanks for the post, I have looked at the CMI site but have not seen that. Is that a slip in replacement unit? Mine is made right into the tailpipe.

Keith Atlanta 07-08-2019 07:33 AM

Im not a big fan of the clamshell type. Once one starts to break you'll notice that you start having problems with the rest. If you havent realized, they make a lot of noise any way.

Clip, clop, clip clop, clip clop clippity, clop.

Just buy new tips.

SFOcean 07-09-2019 02:56 PM

"Thanks for the post, I have looked at the CMI site but have not seen that. Is that a slip in replacement unit? Mine is made right into the tailpipe."

The photo is of a slip-in. Stainless Marine makes various versions of the one-way.
They are not quiet however the bonded 'rubber' coating around the edges mitigates the noise. I have one set that were made in 2001, still work fine. I needed internal as I have Shotgun 1 tips also.
On yet another boat, we just added the newer design Hardin Marine rubber flapper tips, work well after a bit of trimming. Will be super easy to repair if necessary.