Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Donzi ZR transom.....composite or wood? >

Donzi ZR transom.....composite or wood?

Notices

Donzi ZR transom.....composite or wood?

Old 07-10-2019, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

How could one have detected this without pulling the transom assembly? Can you use a moisture meter; if so, how? Would a moisture meter or poking at the transom with an ice pick detected something like this?
Old 07-10-2019, 11:39 AM
B38
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

You can see the transom cutout from inside. You didn't see the mold between the layers. That the first place I look then the stringers. Just by tapping transom in areas would have told you it was wet.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 1,323 Likes on 739 Posts

WHAT??????? You sure that isn't a FONZI?

But really where you are at should cost much, sorry it happened.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
For those who want the truth, this is a 2007 ZR27. The upper transom plate holes are clearly nice clean dry plywood but the bottom holes are dirty wet plywood. Dictionary definition roughly says a 'composite material' is a material made from two or more materials that when combined, form a different material.
So I guess Donzi haven't lied or misrepresented anything. The two materials they mix are plywood and water to form a soft, wet, 'composite', something like adding milk to breakfast cereal.

Cant speak for all ZR's but owners should be cautious, take nothing for granted.

Man that sucks! Sorry to hear about that.... Also, there doesn't appear to be ANY sealant on the top holes from the original Donzi Rig job.... Every hole I ever put in any of my boats, gets marine grade silicone on the bolt/screw as it's installed...

Last edited by Dean Ferry; 07-10-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

For some reason I thought this would be associated with the OSO spam from this morning.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,123 Likes on 473 Posts

Transom work is very labor intensive. Here in Thailand, labor costs about 10 bucks a day so I won't answer the cost question, it's not relevant to the 'real' world.

Donzi state in the owner handbook back in 2000 that all their ZX models changed from plywood to composite transoms, same as they state in the 2006 ZR book. Without wanting to bash Donzi, I'm not sure I'd trust that 100% either.

Last time out, I noticed water in the bilge, never happened before. I could see it dripping in around the transom plate. Had the engine and drive pulled, the seal on the transom plate was completely disintegrated and the water was coming in below the water line. I've given the whole transom a 'tapping' with a hammer (I wanted to give it a complete belting with a mallet ) and the only wet spots were around the bottom 4 bolt holes. It was very isolated. I'm blaming the seal, maybe even the wrong seal was installed, the bolt holes were certainly never sealed at all and perhaps I should have been more vigilant and pulled everything apart at some point and checked thoroughly. I was pretty happy believing it was composite.

I've got a deposit on the boat at the moment so I pointed out the issue to the buyer and promised him it will be fixed. If he wanted to cancel, I'd refund his money but he's happy to see me fix everything. Should be back in action end of next week,

@Wildman, funny you should ask if it's a "Fonzi......."
Over here, all boats must have a registered name. I wanted simply 'Donzi' or "Team Donzi" or a couple of similar variants but they weren't available because it was the manufacturers name and too confusing to Thais. After some deliberation, the registered name is 'FONZI'.

RR
Old 07-10-2019, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 58 Posts

Just went through this last year. It is a serious coronary issue at first, but once you get your head into the job it’s not the end of the world. When it’s done it will be better than factory. I figured out a few tricks along the way and the right tools make it easy. Good luck Rak.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 1,323 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
Transom work is very labor intensive. Here in Thailand, labor costs about 10 bucks a day so I won't answer the cost question, it's not relevant to the 'real' world.

Donzi state in the owner handbook back in 2000 that all their ZX models changed from plywood to composite transoms, same as they state in the 2006 ZR book. Without wanting to bash Donzi, I'm not sure I'd trust that 100% either.

Last time out, I noticed water in the bilge, never happened before. I could see it dripping in around the transom plate. Had the engine and drive pulled, the seal on the transom plate was completely disintegrated and the water was coming in below the water line. I've given the whole transom a 'tapping' with a hammer (I wanted to give it a complete belting with a mallet ) and the only wet spots were around the bottom 4 bolt holes. It was very isolated. I'm blaming the seal, maybe even the wrong seal was installed, the bolt holes were certainly never sealed at all and perhaps I should have been more vigilant and pulled everything apart at some point and checked thoroughly. I was pretty happy believing it was composite.

I've got a deposit on the boat at the moment so I pointed out the issue to the buyer and promised him it will be fixed. If he wanted to cancel, I'd refund his money but he's happy to see me fix everything. Should be back in action end of next week,

@Wildman, funny you should ask if it's a "Fonzi......."
Over here, all boats must have a registered name. I wanted simply 'Donzi' or "Team Donzi" or a couple of similar variants but they weren't available because it was the manufacturers name and too confusing to Thais. After some deliberation, the registered name is 'FONZI'.

RR
Now that is funny. I meant a play because everyone thinks all fountains have rot so added the F.

When fountain and Donzi first “merged” I did a layout file of Fonzi. Have to see if I can find it.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

So what's next? CC?
Old 07-11-2019, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Man that sucks! Sorry to hear about that.... Also, there doesn't appear to be ANY sealant on the top holes from the original Donzi Rig job.... Every hole I ever put in any of my boats, gets marine grade silicone on the bolt/screw as it's installed...
That what happened with mind. A few unsealed drain holes over time absorbed moisture. Someone rigging at Donzi probably wanted to get out early on a Friday afternoon and forgot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.