Old 07-14-2019, 09:43 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,221 Posts

Originally Posted by klaatutooyou
boat racing is very much not alive .

nothing close to what spectaters want .

listen to their voice .

not everyone can be a support boat .really think about it.

sbi is almost gone , oss IS gone (thank you ).a little longer and we can start over .
I stand by what I wrote. From where I sit being fully immersed in covering the sport, it is alive and well.

The first three races of the APBA Series have seen record-setting participation. The Super Stock class had 13 teams in Sarasota and only one did not start. Supercat had seven teams. Class One teams (when not upside down) are actually finishing races. The single-engine canopied V-bottom classes, Pro Stock Vee and Super Vee Extreme, are thriving.

The first three races saw there different teams win in the Supercat class. Translation: parity. Continuing on that theme, a boat length or so separated the first- and second-place finishers at the season-opener in Cocoa Beach, Fla. The competition has been good. Look at the standings, https://speedonthewater.com/in-the-n...midseason-look.

For better or worse (my opinion is better) aces are easily viewable from the shore, but that's nothing new. For fans who can't be there, meaning most, all races are viewable online in real-time via Facebook livestream.

While nothing is perfect and growing paints are inevitable with a new circuit, the mood within the racing community is overwhelmingly positive. But in your opinion the sport is "nothing close to what spectators want."

So what—in your opinion—do spectators want?

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 07-14-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

Watching from the beach is the design..... (The straight is parallel to the beach)... Watching from a boat is a luxury, and is fun, but there is no concrete wall near a turn buoy if a 50' cat going 125mph suddenly takes a wayward turn towards a spectator boat. So space is required for "no man's land"....

Have a lap top in your boat with the live feed, instead of binoculars??
Old 07-14-2019, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Youre stories are fine .I enjoy them.so do others or you would not be relevant.

In a nutshell ...Offshore needs to be run as single company .with profit as its main objective.
everything else will fall into place .Like you reported there are lots of good aspects lately .
But it is still run by people who have primary buisinesses.

One corporation ,one set of rules ,not run by a tyrant ,or as a secondary project.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:35 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Youre stories are fine .I enjoy them.so do others or you would not be relevant.

In a nutshell ...Offshore needs to be run as single company .with profit as its main objective.
everything else will fall into place .Like you reported there are lots of good aspects lately .
But it is still run by people who have primary buisinesses.

One corporation ,one set of rules ,not run by a tyrant ,or as a secondary project.
And who would you suggest fund that? And is there enough "meat on the bone" to make such a venture worthwhile? At least for now.

Put it another way: If you had the means, is that where you would put your money?

And you still didn't answer my basic question. You said the sport in its current state isn't what spectators want. You suggested that people "listen to them."

You have the floor. Let's hear your suggestions. Criticism is low-hanging fruit. Constructive criticism is a much taller order—but it's much more productive.

As for the "relevancy" of speedonthewater.com, offshore racing coverage is a fraction of the coverage we provide. If all we covered were offshore racing, relevancy would be a struggle.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 07-14-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If I had the means Yes ,I do not .nor will I in the future
.Im just a worker bee.
But yes I would and have put my money where my mouth is so to speak.
As far as spectators CONSISTENCY is what they want .
the same classes for at least several years ,( supercat ) Super V .( super v Lite ) And SS outboard .
That's it . for sunday race .
P- type on Saturday.

OOPS forgot one thing .
ONE sanction body

Year after year this is what I hear.
Its not about you or I being right
Old 07-14-2019, 03:22 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

If I had the means Yes ,I do not .nor will I in the future
.Im just a worker bee.
But yes I would and have put my money where my mouth is so to speak.
As far as spectators CONSISTENCY is what they want .
the same classes for at least several years ,( supercat ) Super V .( super v Lite ) And SS outboard .
That's it . for sunday race .
P- type on Saturday.

OOPS forgot one thing .
ONE sanction body

Year after year this is what I hear.
Its not about you or I being right
Those are tangible suggestions.

At present, the APBA series is under one sanctioning body (APBA) as both Powerboat P1 and OPA are APBA members/club. But for sure, homulgation of classes, though solid in most classes right now (Supercat and Super Stock come to mind), is a challenge. Pro Stock Vee and Super Vee Extreme (both single engine canopied V-bottom classes for those who don't know) could be and likely are a bit confusing for spectators. But with a newly founded circuit, the organizers are doing their best to be inclusive.

Since you live in Key West and have worked for both APBA Offshore and SBI, you surely understand that things take time and there are zero guarantees of success. I don't see the whole thing imploding next season—based on my work so far I'd say that's unlikely—but history has proven that it's far from impossible. To deny that possibility would be silly.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

All this is a little bit over my head....

But as a life-long crew member / spectator I was with the F1 Tunnel boats since the early '80's. They changed hands & series names too many times to count. ( I feel the "IOGP" was pretty good ).... Currently, I am very impressed with what Tim Seabold & company has created with the NGK F1 series. Simple for spectators. Well covered ( considering NBCSN & using Drones, etc. for TV.

I have been with Road Racing also since the 1990, and they were so confusing for a time..... But currently, IMSA / Weathertech has created a consistent package for the spectators. Years back, I always had to explain what "WSC" was when asked of the sportcar series, Then later, they changed to "Sportcar".... Go figure....

Sorta like NASCAR / NHRA..... CONSISTENCY IS EVERYTHING !!! Consistency for teams is double important !!

Financial backing & media coverage is the tough nut to crack for longevity.

Last edited by mountie; 07-14-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 231 Likes on 90 Posts

Smitty and P1 are the best that we have ever had in my view. Let these guys continue to grow and bring other spectator events to the show and it will only get better. The more attendance and things that you can promote, the bigger the show, crowds, and income. I personally would love to see these become a Friday afternoon (jet skis) race, Saturday (local class) like we used to have. Saturday afternoon (tunnel boats) and or vintage racing and maybe drags. Sunday would be the offshore stuff as we have it now.

I go to the races as much for the social aspect as for the racing but an average fan has a long wait from Thursday or Friday until the Sunday show.

With venues like the lake race at LOTO, areas like Sarasota that have direct inter coastal and ocean access, Jacksonville where P1 has previously run and numerous other sites this would keep fans en-gauged and offer bigger crowds for the promoters and host cities to draw from. The only way to get large crowds to show up and spend money for 3 or 4 days Vs. the Sunday beach rush is to entertain them. Nite concerts in the pits, and street parties for each category etc. They are already dealing with the permitting issues, safety crews, presentations to city officials etc.

Joe
Old 07-15-2019, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
I would suggest volunteering to be a sweep boat if you want to be in the action. Not to mention its a good way to get involved if you like race boats.
I volunteer in St.Clair with a buddy of mine every year. Great view of the races.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

St. Clair has great viewing. Granted its a river- an international border between the US and Canada- but both shorelines are lined with spectators and even with little advertising in Canada. OPA and Smitty along with the Bluewater Offshore Racing Assoc. have done a great job in prior years to maintain a good boat turnout, with record numbers expected this year. As far as what spectators want, we have to settle for who ever shows to each event as the race promoters rely on each team on their own to show. It has always been hit or miss what races what teams show for. This year hopefully isn't the exception and the strides that have been made by all the racers and teams is the thing to come. As a spectator, I for one, appreciate the time and money the teams put in to arrive in our area and put on a great weekend, for little reward. As a spectator, it is more exciting to see multiple boats actually racing against each other than having a single boat just turning laps.

They used to do Saturday events in St. Clair- Jersey Skiff races, inflatable races, Kilo run, etc., that was nice, but the format now seems to work as racers are out testing props, getting used to the 7 mile an hour current so they don't break out, and trying new ideas and that holds people interest. Spectators also like that all the teams are right along the river and are friendly and willing to talk and answer any questions that we have.

If a spectator wants be feel like a part of the action, they could come to St. Clair and experience it first hand and all the other festivities that go with it....They will be back

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.