Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Rapid-Fire Class One Crashes And More Highlight Sarasota Action >

Rapid-Fire Class One Crashes And More Highlight Sarasota Action

Notices

Rapid-Fire Class One Crashes And More Highlight Sarasota Action

Old 07-15-2019, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

I spoke with Brian ( one of the principles at St. Clair)...... He's convincing me to come up and experience the race......

I may be moving to Palm Beach next year ( I'm looking for a nice house to buy in Wellington.... any offers??)

My thought is to work on a team for that race....... Next year?? That'll get me up there!! ( Hello, Geico??) Ha....
Old 07-15-2019, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 62 Posts

Great boat count but everybody said the same thing! But to respond by saying volunteer??? No fix it! Good luck race safe!
Old 07-16-2019, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Nothing personel 353
Great boat count but everybody said the same thing! But to respond by saying volunteer??? No fix it! Good luck race safe!
How do you suggest fixing it safely ?? Im sure its extreme the buffer zone they have in place at some sites but each site evaluates there own risk/distance. I have been on a spectator boat in Key West in the harbor and I kid you not we were 20 yards away from the boats as they passed. It was crazy close to the point I had to move. Knowing what I know about how fast accidents happen and unlimited boats flying past I couldn't believe they allowed it. I wonder how far a blade of a propeller flies when it breaks off or how far the OL traveled when it blew over at LOTO?
Old 07-16-2019, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
How do you suggest fixing it safely ?? Im sure its extreme the buffer zone they have in place at some sites but each site evaluates there own risk/distance. I have been on a spectator boat in Key West in the harbor and I kid you not we were 20 yards away from the boats as they passed. It was crazy close to the point I had to move. Knowing what I know about how fast accidents happen and unlimited boats flying past I couldn't believe they allowed it. I wonder how far a blade of a propeller flies when it breaks off or how far the OL traveled when it blew over at LOTO?
In 2004 I believe .dave scott threw a hering chopper $6,000.00 blade .
I was between tank and wisteria island up to my britches in warm wonderfull green salt water,
I had my camera above my head and the splash did not allow me to get the shot .
but WOW !! I kid you not that blade followed him for a several feet 50 100 ? I don't know .
I just saw it and it was so fast reaction was nill. forget it no time to away from it .

I saw this big Spanish guy go after it . he dove down and took it .
jumped into a little skiff and gone.
I heard dave got it back for a price .
but the point is YES too close is too close ,
so ive always thought watching from a boat inline with race traffic was dangerous .

I like watching from the beach .
not all venues allow that opportunity ,
That is why I say the sport we now have wont work.

The promoters cant make enough the racers cant win enough to be full time.
on and on and on .
so that is my meaning of after sbi is done this year .
It needs to start all over .

A sanction body only interested in "offshore" Beach racing is the name it should carry now.
Racers who are commited to each venue that the santion body guarantees will happen for multiple seasons.
Those need to happen first.

just my thoughts
Old 07-16-2019, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I volunteered this year in Sarasota. It was nice being on the infield cruising around the back stretch. The rescue divers are nice folks that travel to most of the races. I will do it again next year, and hopefully get turn 3/4.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:23 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by motocam25
I volunteered this year in Sarasota. It was nice being on the infield cruising around the back stretch. The rescue divers are nice folks that travel to most of the races. I will do it again next year, and hopefully get turn 3/4.
Thank you for volunteering your boat, time and $$$ to make us safer and put the race on. It is much appreciated!
Old 07-17-2019, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

I also suggest everyone ( if they can) to volunteer at a race......
4 years now, I do at Bradenton, Florida's F-2 Tunnel Boat races.. I drove the 24' pontoon rental boat to shuttle the teams to the start dock,
and helped set the turn buoys.
It's fun..... lots of responsibility........... a little work...... more fun.....
I had the best seat in the race, sitting on the pontoon boat on the floating start dock......
So, volunteering is a great idea!!
Old 07-18-2019, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Volunteering Is a good thing .I also have .
Hobby sports cannot survive without them