Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
New Motorcycle Brand coming from and O/B motor Co. >

New Motorcycle Brand coming from and O/B motor Co.

Notices

New Motorcycle Brand coming from and O/B motor Co.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Motorcycle Brand coming from and O/B motor Co.

Looks like Harley is going to have some North American competition:
At a press conference late Monday, the CEO of Johnson Marine, makers of Johnson outboard marine engines and other recreational equipment, unveiled a new line of heavyweight cruiser style motorcycles designed to compete head to head with industry leader Harley-Davidson.
Peter Long, Johnson brands marketing manager said, "We have studied the market and determined that Harley, while highly successful, has narrowly missed the mark when targeting motorcycle buyers". Long added, "We, at Johnson, are convinced our product hits the target dead center and promises to draw sales away from Harley-Davidson in a way no other motorcycle has
been able to accomplish".
The new line of bikes, marketed under the name 'Big Johnson Motorcycles', will, according to Long, deliver what Harley has only promised. "Our research show that this, "Big Johnson" is what Harley buyers are really after".
At the unveiling of the new line Monday, several current Harley owners agreed. "When I bought my Harley, what I really needed was a Big Johnson", said one Harley owner." But I see now that riding a Harley is no replacement for having a Big Johnson."
Manager Long also said that his company would follow the lead of Harley-Davidson and cash in on a huge market for non motorcycle related products. "We realize that not every guy can have a Big Johnson", said Long, "But image is very important to people. If they don't have a Big
Johnson, they at least want to project the image of having one."
Asked if he anticipated Big Johnsons showing up in the hands of Harley owners, Long said it was unlikely. "I just don't see the need to have a Harley if you have a Big Johnson", he said. "And I can't imagine someone who spends all their resources to acquire a Harley having a Big Johnson. I think it boils down to this - You either have a Harley, or you have a Big Johnson, but you are not likely to have both. "Given the choice", said Long. " I think most guys will opt for the Big Johnson". Another force driving sales for the company will come from women. A survey of the wives and girlfriends of nearly 1,000 potential motorcycle buyers indicates less than 5% would approve of their partner spending $15,000 on a Harley Davidson. But, when asked if they would be willing to pay the same amount of money to get their partner a Big Johnson, nearly 4 out 5 thought that would be money well spent.
One female present at the product unveiling was quoted as saying, "There is no way I will let Lonnie drop 15 grand on another one of those Harleys, but 15 grand to get him a Big Johnson? Well, now that's something we could both enjoy and it's something he really needs." I found this on another forum
Old 07-18-2019, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That must be old.... trying to develop a Big Johnson led the previously successful OMC into bankruptcy about 2001. It’s ok though, because everyone knows you don’t need a fat wallet if you have a Big Johnson. Then the sloppy seconds of OMC were acquired by Bombardier, whom changed their name to BRP (to sound less French/Canadian), and developed the abomination known as the Can-Am tricycle instead of relishing in the glow of having a Big Johnson. Now the Big Johnson is no more, but elderly gentlemen and millennials in skinny jeans can get their knees in the breeze without fear of tipping over.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,119 Likes on 469 Posts

"Big Johnson"?
Maybe 'cos I'm not American but it almost sounds like an April fools. I like the idea of another player in the market, Harley's are irreplaceable, especially in America but "Big Johnson"?
"I've got a big Johnson". I can only imagine saying that in a pub around 1am after way too many drinks and hoping I don't have to prove it! No issue with the manufacturer, just the name.

My 2 cents.

Big Johnson.
(aka RR)
Old 07-18-2019, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

If true good luck!
Old 07-18-2019, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

Johnson Marine...... "Big Johnson".......

A HUGE investment / red tape, to get it to the market place.
25 (?) years ago, a friend, Dick Simon ( Dana Point, Ca.) attempted to bring to market a line of motorcycles. Manufactured by China... Assembled here (?).
My friend ( In San Diego) could create the owner's manual & also the service manual. Which is required to sell a motor vehicle.

But...... The designers in China did not want to " divulge " the engineering. So, it came to an abrupt halt!!. ( Dick just shook his head).....

" Big Johnson"..... Either it's an April Fool's joke.......... But I'll contact my cycle friend ...... He will know..... ( He does all the Clymer Manuals , besides a genius tuner )
Old 07-18-2019, 10:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,119 Likes on 469 Posts

I think I've been scammed, feeling a bit gullible.....

That forum post is 12 years old! If it was for real, I think we'd have heard more by now.
https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/...ic.php?t=20748

Sucker
(aka Big Johnson)
(aka RR)

Last edited by rak rua; 07-19-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:25 AM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

Marketing Director " Peter Long"......

Gotta love the internet........

It was a cute joke....
Old 07-19-2019, 07:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,029 Likes on 1,347 Posts

Originally Posted by mountie
Johnson Marine...... "Big Johnson".......

A HUGE investment / red tape, to get it to the market place.
25 (?) years ago, a friend, Dick Simon ( Dana Point, Ca.) attempted to bring to market a line of motorcycles. Manufactured by China... Assembled here (?).
My friend ( In San Diego) could create the owner's manual & also the service manual. Which is required to sell a motor vehicle.

But...... The designers in China did not want to " divulge " the engineering. So, it came to an abrupt halt!!. ( Dick just shook his head).....

" Big Johnson"..... Either it's an April Fool's joke.......... But I'll contact my cycle friend ...... He will know..... ( He does all the Clymer Manuals , besides a genius tuner )
Dick Simon of Dick Simon Marine ?? and Indy car owner back in the day
Old 07-19-2019, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

STOP! This is the real deal!

Old 07-19-2019, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
Dick Simon of Dick Simon Marine ?? and Indy car owner back in the day
Don’t forget builder of the unbreakable, guaranteed for life Gold Tip racing drive.

That was the first drive I ever broke and sure enough those doors were long closed!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.