Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Sunseeker holding a paid in full 4mm yacht hostage due to dealer dispute! >

Sunseeker holding a paid in full 4mm yacht hostage due to dealer dispute!

Notices

Sunseeker holding a paid in full 4mm yacht hostage due to dealer dispute!

Old 07-30-2019, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 881 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
I have a friend that is currently in conversation with Rick Obey at this dealer for a new Sunseeker. I guess that won’t be happening anymore. Lol.

What engines do they use on these beasts?
To me the Sunseekers have lost their "look".......its like they are in a battle with Azimut to build the ugliest boat for a ridiculous MSRP!

The V series from Princess and almost every Pershing are simply stunning.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 559 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
To me the Sunseekers have lost their "look".......its like they are in a battle with Azimut to build the ugliest boat for a ridiculous MSRP!

The V series from Princess and almost every Pershing are simply stunning.
They lose that sexy look when the cockpit and salon gets pushed too far forward shortening up the forward deck and losing that sport boat look.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:43 PM
Registered

Apparently this exact Sunseeker was brought to the Ft Lauderdale boat show and seized by US Marshals.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/busines...3fa-story.htmlAfter the arrest, the marshals transferred custody of the vessel to a court-appointed third-party custodian, National Maritime Services, run by Alan Swimmer.A 74-foot Sunseeker Sport Yacht at the center of a dispute between a man who says he paid $4 million to have it built, the manufacturer and its U.S. dealer was placed "under arrest" Sunday pending resolution of the litigation. (Rick Turner/Courtesy)The yacht was taken to a secure “undisclosed location” where it will be cared for pending resolution of the dispute, said buyer Kevin Turner, of Wellington.

Swimmer declined Tuesday to answer specific questions about the boat or the dispute. He also declined the South Florida Sun Sentinel’s request to photograph the boat at its undisclosed location.

RELATED: Trapped in companies’ feud, yacht buyer says he paid $4 million for new boat he never got »Vessel arrests are routine but rare. “It happens when there’s a commercial dispute over a vessel,” Swimmer said.

About 100 vessels are arrested somewhere in the world every year, Swimmer said Tuesday. In South Florida, where Fort Lauderdale calls itself the yachting capital of the world, arrests occur about five to 10 times a year, Swimmer said.

A recent high-profile arrest involved an empty cargo ship seized in a financial dispute between its owner and the shipping company that chartered it. Visible from Fort Lauderdale beach, the ship idled for more than three months with an 11-member crew onboard before it was sold in an auction on the steps of the federal courthouse.

RELATED: Crew stuck for months on cargo ship 'under arrest' off Fort Lauderdale »Turner is suing Sunseeker International in Britain, its U.S.-based distribution arm, Sunseeker USA, and Fort Lauderdale-based broker Rick Obey & Associates, which was once Sunseeker’s largest U.S. dealer.

In his lawsuit, filed in May, Turner claimed that Sunseeker is refusing to accredit to him the $4 million he paid to Obey to have it built.

Obey and Sunseeker are mired in a legal dispute that Obey claims started when the manufacturer refused to take responsibility for a catastrophic engine failure on the maiden voyage of one of Obey’s customers in May 2018. As a result, payments from Obey to Sunseeker for boats under construction for customers or for speculative sale slowed and then stopped before Turner’s boat was delivered, Turner contends. Obey and Sunseeker are currently suing each other over various alleged breaches.

Sunseeker's 74-foot Sport Yacht

1 / 10In an email, Stacy Schwartz, attorney for Sunseeker USA, said Obey caused the dispute by failing to pay for the yacht. Sunseeker USA terminated its dealer agreement with Obey in March “to prevent future harm to customers and the public” and then in June obtained a preliminary injunction to prevent Obey from “continuing to represent himself as a Sunseeker USA Sales Co. dealer.” Sunseeker USA “continues to pursue all appropriate remedies” against Obey, Schwartz wrote.

Turner said it took about 10 days of detective work to confirm that “his" boat had been brought to the U.S. from Sunseeker’s plant in England. A source alerted him that it was coming to the U.S., and then he verified that it was the boat he paid for through identification numbers on its shipping manifest, he said.

RELATED: Early organizers wouldn't recognize today's Fort Lauderdale boat show »“That’s when we started the arrest action” in federal court, he said.

Reached by phone Tuesday, Obey blamed the dispute on Sunseeker’s desire to sell his territory to a new dealer after 20 years and diminish his standing in the marketplace. He added that he’s sorry to see Turner caught in the middle.

“Kevin’s in a spot," Obey said. "He’s actually my friend, but unfortunately he has to sue me because I sold him the boat. He’s a great guy. He doesn’t deserve this.”

In late July, Obey called on Sunseeker to release the boat to Turner, saying the company was sitting on 3.1 million British pounds that Obey had previously paid.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

Even if the situation is now resolved in a timely manner, if you dropped $4M on a boat and had to go through this sh*t show, could you actually enjoy the boat the same way with the same confidence?
The following users liked this post:
OFFSHOREJOJO (04-24-2022)
Old 04-24-2022, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should know, i worked there in illannoy & also a little at GRC...total **** shows
Old 04-24-2022, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 136 Likes on 63 Posts

Not giving anybody 4 million without having full possession Boat Real Estate high end cars etc ! Hope this was resolved sounds like the greed of man kicked in some how
Old 04-24-2022, 10:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
Apparently our local cobalt dealer just skipped town with 7 boat deposits. Would suck to be those customers. I’m not sure what their recourse is.
This seems to be happening a lot lately in all different capacites. Excel Auto in Boca just disappeared with a bunch of deposits, worse yet, a bunch of other peoples cars too...

The following users liked this post:
OFFSHOREJOJO (04-25-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 12:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

because they probably added some go fast hi-po **** to it an burnt a piston...ive seen it done
Old 04-25-2022, 08:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
This seems to be happening a lot lately in all different capacites. Excel Auto in Boca just disappeared with a bunch of deposits, worse yet, a bunch of other peoples cars too...
I've known the Zankl family since the 80s. The dad did the same scam back then with Bob Zankl Imports (trading cars, not paying off loans, etc). Scott Zankl tried to get out in front of this saying the cars got taken by his "landlord" over a rent dispute then a few days later declared bankruptcy with debts between 10-50 million dollars! Whew that is a lot of "back rent!"

As a side note they also owned Pahokee Ford Lincoln Mercury and got a million dollar judgment from a bank out there last year. Pahokee is a very rural farm type community, Fords shouldn't be hard to sell out there!