Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Low water pressure (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/362124-low-water-pressure.html)

Drew555 07-30-2019 09:00 PM

Low water pressure

so I have been trying to track down why I have low pressure in one motor . I replaced both sea pumps. Then again on the low pressure side. I used my boat once the year before but never ran it up to temp. Was very busy. So this year I have gotten out on it 3 times and trying to find the problem. The last year I had water in drive bottle in that side. So pulled the drive Nd had new seals put in. Do you think if the o ring in the drive was pinched it could pull enough air to make my water pressure fall on its face. I opened sea strainers and made sure it was clear and checked all hoses on the intake side . I just put the drive ( cavitation plate ) deep in a barrel and tried it. Same effect. Just wondering if that o ring could be the factor

Rookie 07-30-2019 09:32 PM

Are you having overheating problems, or just low water pressure problems? My gauge lines get crud in them also scale over the fitting inside the block and oil cooler. These result in low pressure readings, but I never have heat related issues.

Drew555 07-30-2019 09:37 PM

I do have it running hotter. To be clear I have 9psi in one motor and 4psi in the other at 3500 . I can’t run over 50mps for a long time without water and oil temp creeping up . Other motor is fine. I believe it has to be on the suction side. Be then again I pressure sender is in the intake manifold . But I did see while in the barrel Today when I brought it up to 2500 rpm the gauge fell on its face and me sea strainer empties. I changed the hose that runs through the transom On the other side thinking it was that when it was just a tstat. When I did it it wasn’t crusty at all. It was a fresh water boat. I think it may be the O ring in the drive.

Griff 07-30-2019 09:40 PM

What engines???

Drew555 07-30-2019 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 4699529)
What engines???

merc hp500

obrien 07-30-2019 10:27 PM

How old are the transom assemblies and are they used in salt water?

Drew555 07-30-2019 10:31 PM

It was a fresh water boat. I did change the hose in the transom in the port side thinking it was a problem with a temp condition but it was tstat. When I changed it it was clean.

Griff 07-30-2019 11:05 PM

Pull the hose on the oil cooler and check for old impeller pieces or debris.

What kind of water pickups on your drives?? LWP, DWP, Standard??

Drew555 07-31-2019 02:12 AM

Lwp and never had a impeller come apart on me. I have good flow from flush to through the drive also

sbdennis 07-31-2019 07:50 AM

It can still be the raw water pickup hose through the transom. I've got a fresh water boat also but that was the problem, the hose will crush where it take the 90 degree turn thru the transom. You can see the new replacement hoses now have a plastic insert at that point so the hose won't crush anymore.