Injector cleaners as maintance service? >

Injector cleaners as maintance service?

Notices

Injector cleaners as maintance service?

Old 08-06-2019, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Cerberus66
I swear by Techron, as a kid i worked at a Volvo dealership in callas, My job was to drain fuel, leave about 5 gallons in it, pour in Techron and drive it hard. Worked 100% of the time and still does with my Nordic and Chaparral.
Originally Posted by DiamondPerformance
Mercury painted the inside of there CoolFuel fuel system.
Wow. Thats stupid. What about fuel tanks?
Old 08-06-2019, 03:16 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

the epa manted LOW permenation fuel tanks they have an internal base coat since 2010. All manu in the USA are required to use the new epa mandated stuff

Last edited by BUP; 08-06-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:49 PM
BUP
Banned

A couple hours ago -- oh this 496 boat owner complaint --- hard starts and engine dies after off idle around 2500 to 3000 rpms. . So I tested Fuel pressure first and that was was very high -- why because the injectors were so restrictive. Most would have started changing the fuel pressure regulator and missed the injectors.. Easy fix for me he will be back on the water this weekend. IAC did all that as well.

Last edited by BUP; 08-06-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:13 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
the epa manted LOW permenation fuel tanks they have an internal base coat since 2010. All manu in the USA are required to use the new epa mandated stuff
wow. Thanks for the info....
Old 08-07-2019, 09:38 AM
BUP
Banned

I will post all the mandated info carbon canisters and new fuel vents and much more. Internally the plastic gas tanks have like a black / grey liner to meet the low perm that the epa mandated for emissions. All the current engines are called EC for emission control. this has taken place since late 2009 and late 2007 for California.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 95 502 mpi that I'm taking the vps off (tired of the vapor lock)and want to have the injectors gone through and checked. Who should I send them to?
Old 08-13-2019, 01:30 AM
Registered

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Raceme9s
I have a 95 502 mpi that I'm taking the vps off (tired of the vapor lock)and want to have the injectors gone through and checked. Who should I send them to?
I have these exact same engines with the VST’s also. When I got my boat it had 370 hours on it. Regular basic maintenance you know the “open checkbook” seller, professionals maintained etc... Long story short I had one engine go down with a bad head gasket. By dumb luck I happened upon BUP online and was buying some other random parts from him for my rebuilds. We got to talking and turns out he offered injector cleaning services. I told him I was going to take them somewhere local to have this done but after speaking with him he had some good laughs about what they told me about my injectors. I could tell he knew what the hell he was talking about within about a minute of speaking with him. I ended up sending them to BUP and I’m SOO glad I did. I’m 100% confident that had I not, I would have burned my fresh rebuilds down before they were even broken in. WITHOUT QUESTION. My wife would have killed me and and the boat would have went down the road no joke (long backstory). My injectors were HORRIBLE and BUP sent me tons of pics of them I was in shock when I saw the proof. I’m actually surprised it ran at all after seeing the trash that came out of them and the spray volumes and patters BUP sent me videos of before and after. My engines were living on borrowed time no joke. Any other shop would have made a few passes at them, called it a day and sent me on my way thinking they were clean to burn down my engines again. I have no idea how he did it but BUP somehow resurrected my injectors which most would have thrown in the trash and left me to buy EBay China crap. I would have not known any better either had I not met BUP and I actually learned a lot about the process from him. I was completely in the dark about how important this ACTUALLY is to a marine engine and is so often overlooked. Anyways, I highly recommend you send your injectors to BUP you will not regret it and I guarantee you will learn a thing or two about proper maintenance along the way. Hope this helps.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I'll send them to him.
I tried to pm BUP but it told me his index was full. Hopefully he will see this and send me message of how to get ahold of him.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:08 AM
BUP
Banned

Thanks guys and DD for good words for what I do daily. - yes you are more than welcome to send any fuel related items to whomever. On my end I prob spend way too much with each set of injectors but I am one of those who measures 11 times and cuts once. My goal ALWAYS is to have the spec flow volume rates within those rated numbers and as close to possible perfectly balance in flow volumes across the board. I always try to be at 3 percent and under for that balance.

Many oems say 7 percent is good but again I really strive for 3 percent and under for flow balance. Most people fudge these numbers and WRITE down that all injectors flow the same number across the board . That is a BS report - IMPOSSIBLE to have all 8 injectors or 6 injectors or 4 injectors to FLOW the EXACT SAME PERFECT flow volume numbers for many of the test procedures.

Like I said I try and perform many cleanings & tests to get all the injectors as close to perfect as possible. That is not easy to do with marine fuel injectors but I spend the time and money to make that happen for all sets of fuel injectors as best I can. .

Sorry about the PM box being full I ll have to read a few and delete some. THANKS

Last edited by BUP; 08-13-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Ill add this short story: A acquaintance called me up, bought a twin engine boat that sat for 5 years or so, asked me what Id do with fuel system. Told him pump fuel system dry, add 15 or 20 gallons of clean gas, change filters, run on hose till it quits, change filters again, repeat THEN pull injectors and bring them to me to flow and clean at my shop on my machine. He skipped all that, added a bunch of injector cleaner (boat held 180 gallons of gas), had like 60 in it (I think). Told me boat "ran great",. A week later he was on a fun run , called me up and said he had oil blowing from valve cover breather, melted a piston to ring land. THEN I flowed and cleaned the injectors, the one from the offending cylinder flowed 35% or so low. He had enough bad injectors (502 mags) that I re-wrote his tune and sold him match flowed 60 lb injectors. The price of having your injectors flowed and cleaned by a shop like mine or BUP vs losing a month or all of boating season with a hurt motor is money well spent, Smitty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.