Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Offshore vs Lake Performance Boating:  Which is more challenging? >

Offshore vs Lake Performance Boating: Which is more challenging?

Notices

Offshore vs Lake Performance Boating: Which is more challenging?

Old 08-16-2019, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

I think boaters that go a SIGNIFICANT distance offshore are usually better educated regarding the equipment they using and the environment they're operating in. There's a uneasy feeling you get the first few times you're out of sight of land and you're alone in the boat. It then becomes more than throttles and tabs.
On a typical inland lake you're usually a couple minutes from shore, you'll never experience that same uneasy feeling. Ed

Last edited by Interceptor; 08-16-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
Offshore boating... we all think we are doing this regardless of the water condition....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9pDV7vHF2G4

I have a 22 foot boat with 650 hp.... even my trip from the ramp to the gas dock looks like that....
Old 08-16-2019, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
I have a 22 foot boat with 650 hp.... even my trip from the ramp to the gas dock looks like that....
Love it!!
Old 08-16-2019, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
Offshore boating... we all think we are doing this regardless of the water condition....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9pDV7vHF2G4
Typical Chesapeake Bay/Atlantic around Cape Henry here. Hell... that’s the water at the HRBT!

Love living here!
Old 08-16-2019, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

I experienced many years testing with my boss, good 'ol Arneson. .....San Francisco Bay. When it was just for top speed, we had a favorite north bay / semi-calm water. (205mph)
When it was a race test, it was middle of the bay ( yikes !! )
So we had quite a menu of conditions. But, I trusted Howard..... I was not "scared"..... But I got "excited"..... Chime walking was a bit worrisome in early days when hulls were only 80 mph.......
All conditions were fun or nervous..... It's all about how you manage the conditions.
We had so many style boats,,,,,, But we used them the same way....... So, different boats had different personalities in similar conditions.
Jumping off ferry boat wakes ( passengers on lowest windows would see the bottom of our hull )... Shooting a wake, and punch through a foot below the top of swell, etc....
Raising the surface prop under a low bridge ( Richmond San Rafael Bridge) ...and a salt water car wash for the above traffic......
But...... all the darn sail boats..... They thought we were crazy...... Naw..... we were having fun at work !!