The Best Correspondence From A Reader Ever Written

Notices

The Best Correspondence From A Reader Ever Written

Old 08-15-2019, 07:27 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,221 Posts
Default The Best Correspondence From A Reader Ever Written

Whether you own an old 20-foot Baja Outlaw or a new Skater 438, your high-performance boating habit started with a dream, https://www.offshoreonly.com/article...r-ever-written.

From the OSO home page.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

Whoever said the American dream couldn't replace the white, picket fence with Big Blocks?
Old 08-15-2019, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Certainly You Could Hook him with a Ride in Any of the Boats he'd Mentioned Most Powerboat Owners are Gracious Enough to Entertain a Person with Dreams and Keep the Fire Burning, or give them the Thrill that Is the Extra Motivation to Go get It....

Last edited by fastdonzi; 08-15-2019 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Added "to"
Old 08-15-2019, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Colby, if you're reading this you guys are welcome to come out with us on Pickwick anytime. Not that far from Guntersville and we're there every weekend. We also usually end up in Florence at least a couple times a month.
901-491-4500
Old 08-15-2019, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Old 08-16-2019, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Your reader article.Hi Matt,

I just finished reading the article about the "best reader comments." It struck me because, that guy is me. I too grew up reading magazine articles and looking at all the pictures of the high performance catamarans. As I grew older, I achieved lots of boats. Most were Eliminator Daytona's.

I grew up extremely poor. My father, was a bit on the "less motivated side" and we never had much. I vividly remember crying myself to sleep, listening to my mother and father fighting about money. I swore to myself to not live that life. To make a long story short, I started a industrial / hydraulic supply company in 1992. Times and business have been good.

Two years ago, I sold my last boat. I told my wife I was finished with boats. She just chuckled in her knowing way . Shes always been supportive of all my wildest dreams.

So, December 2018, she tired of me sitting and looking at the OSO classifieds every night, and told me..."Just go buy a damn boat". So, we planned a trip to both Skater and MTI. We arrived in Chicago in the middle of the January "polar-vortex." Spent the next day with Peter and Tony. I might add that when we walked in the front door of Skater, we were met by the many photographs on the walls that I'm sure you've seen. My childhood memories of looking at these very boats came rushing back to me. My emotions were difficult to maintain, here I was, a poor kid from Arizona standing inside the holy grail of all powerboat headquarters. The heritage, tradition and history of Skater is something every powerboat owner/dreamer needs to experience.

I was impressed to say the least. Peter is well, Peter Hledin. What more needs to be said? Tony was a complete gentleman and both my wife and I were "probably" sold. We then had to drive back to Chicago in this blizzard. Being from Arizona, It was a mission. Regardless, we made our red-eye to St. Louis. It snowed 10-12 inches, while we were at Skater. As a matter of fact, Tony recommended perhaps not leaving.

We spent the next day with Randy and got his tour. Randy operates a hospital clean, orderly company. We were interested in their 36RP. We sat and spec'd out a boat, went through the graphic and interior design as well. I was impressed at their ability to scroll through an Ipad and give you information on and about every detail of every boat. We shook hands, ended our visit and headed back to St.Louis.

On the drive back to the St. Louis airport, I told my wife...Skater it is. A calm, affirmative head-shake and the decision was made. The two companies and deals were close, so close that it simply came down to choice.

I sat on that decision for the entire next week to allow myself to run through all the thoughts and emotions of such a commitment.

On January 31st, Tony sent me the contract to build a brand-new 368 powered with 700SC's.

So, as I said, that young dreamer...is me.

Last edited by Fair Chase; 08-16-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

That’s me too, great to read.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

^^^ Fair Chase -Two words about your post - ABSOLUTELY AWESOME !

I think 99% on here can relate in one way or another - from cranking their first Merc O/B or hearing the Big Block come to life after their are handed the keys to "Their" boat... simply put,,, you have to have something (dream) to chase and realize, for your soul to stay young..
Old 08-16-2019, 02:09 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,221 Posts

Originally Posted by Fair Chase
Your reader article.Hi Matt,

I just finished reading the article about the "best reader comments." It struck me because, that guy is me. I too grew up reading magazine articles and looking at all the pictures of the high performance catamarans. As I grew older, I achieved lots of boats. Most were Eliminator Daytona's.

I grew up extremely poor. My father, was a bit on the "less motivated side" and we never had much. I vividly remember crying myself to sleep, listening to my mother and father fighting about money. I swore to myself to not live that life. To make a long story short, I started a industrial / hydraulic supply company in 1992. Times and business have been good.

Two years ago, I sold my last boat. I told my wife I was finished with boats. She just chuckled in her knowing way . Shes always been supportive of all my wildest dreams.

So, December 2018, she tired of me sitting and looking at the OSO classifieds every night, and told me..."Just go buy a damn boat". So, we planned a trip to both Skater and MTI. We arrived in Chicago in the middle of the January "polar-vortex." Spent the next day with Peter and Tony. I might add that when we walked in the front door of Skater, we were met by the many photographs on the walls that I'm sure you've seen. My childhood memories of looking at these very boats came rushing back to me. My emotions were difficult to maintain, here I was, a poor kid from Arizona standing inside the holy grail of all powerboat headquarters. The heritage, tradition and history of Skater is something every powerboat owner/dreamer needs to experience.

I was impressed to say the least. Peter is well, Peter Hledin. What more needs to be said? Tony was a complete gentleman and both my wife and I were "probably" sold. We then had to drive back to Chicago in this blizzard. Being from Arizona, It was a mission. Regardless, we made our red-eye to St. Louis. It snowed 10-12 inches, while we were at Skater. As a matter of fact, Tony recommended perhaps not leaving.

We spent the next day with Randy and got his tour. Randy operates a hospital clean, orderly company. We were interested in their 36RP. We sat and spec'd out a boat, went through the graphic and interior design as well. I was impressed at their ability to scroll through an Ipad and give you information on and about every detail of every boat. We shook hands, ended our visit and headed back to St.Louis.

On the drive back to the St. Louis airport, I told my wife...Skater it is. A calm, affirmative head-shake and the decision was made. The two companies and deals were close, so close that it simply came down to choice.

I sat on that decision for the entire next week to allow myself to run through all the thoughts and emotions of such a commitment.

On January 31st, Tony sent me the contract to build a brand-new 368 powered with 700SC's.

So, as I said, that young dreamer...is me.
Fantastic story. It really does all start with dreams.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

I can relate... at 32.

whoever posted setting a goal and working toward it is exactly right.

No wife, no kids, too many toys and no mortgages on primary or my place at LOTO . My american dream.🤘🇺🇸.

I remember when all I wanted in the world was my great great aunt's 1983 cutlass... lol (I was 5) I wouldn't even get in that thing now for fear of getting rat-bit...

It all starts with a dream.

Last edited by PigNaPoke; 08-16-2019 at 02:14 PM.